By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - It looks like the PS3 and Xbox 360 basically sold the same amount in 2008

http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/ps3-and-360-sales-equal-in-2008-$1264624.htm

PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 worldwide sales equal in 2008

Thursday, 29 Jan 2009 11:30

"Following Sony's announcement of Q3 hardware sales, we thought we'd compare the lot. It looks like the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 basically sold the same amount in 2008.

Sony's PlayStation 3 sold less in the third quarter of 2008 (ie. the Oct-Dec holiday season) than in 2007, but the strength of the console's earlier sales did it proud, shipping* 10.8 million in 2008 (up from 2007's 8.85 million).

In contrast, Microsoft's Xbox 360 had a huge holiday season, shipping around 6 million consoles worldwide (a record for the Xbox), but had a weaker sales period earlier in the year: the playing field has been levelled.

The PlayStation 3 shipped around 10.8 million (closer to 10.78) and the Xbox 360 also shipped 10.8 million: a dead heat. As for life-time sales, the Xbox 360 is at 28.45 million and the PlayStation 3 at 21.35 million - a slightly tighter gap than Microsoft's announced 8 million.

On average the PlayStation 3 has sold 2.37 million units per quarter, in comparison to the Xbox 360's 2.18 million. Still without a PS3 price cut, Microsoft's console will surely pull away in 2009.

As for Nintendo's Wii, it's solidified first place by selling an outstanding 5 million units per quarter. Find the numbers below.

SHIPPED Q3 2008 (Oct-Dec 2008)

# PlayStation 3: 4.46m
# Wii: 10.42m
# Xbox 360: 6.0m
# PlayStation 2: 2.52m
# NDS: 11.89m
# PSP: 5.08m

SHIPPED 2008

# PlayStation 3: 10.77m
# Wii: 24.84m
# Xbox 360: 10.8m
# PlayStation 2: 8.88m
# NDS: 31.43m
# PSP: 15.39m

SHIPPED LIFETIME TO DATE

# PlayStation 3: 21.35m
# Wii: 44.97m
# Xbox 360: 28.45m
# PlayStation 2: 138.15m
# NDS: 96.22m
# PSP: 51.26m"

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

Thats good news. I guess the gap isnt widening

Initiating social expirement #928719281

This is going to anger a lot of Xboxers who were sure the PS3 would die after this past holiday.....

Yeah sold to retailors.

A lot more PS3's sitting on the shelves than Xbox 360's

So yes the gap is widening.

Sony fanboys are going to clinch on to this for dear life, however when Microsoft and Sony announce shipped figures for Jan - March expect 360 > PS3 by a wide margin. The fact of the matter Sony stuffed the channel and no more retailors are going to buy PS3's when they're hardly flying off the shelves.

Its not a conspiracy before you start spouting that shit either. The 360 is simply flooring the PS3. End of.

EDIT - Oh and if the PS3 is undertracked so is the 360 ...

http://ps3.qj.net/Xbox-360-leads-over-PS3-by-8-million-Microsoft-expects-PS3-price-cut-soon/pg/49/aid/127764

Seen as its been stated by Microsoft they have an 8 million unit lead.

But neither have been undertracked.

Yeah, I think you're right with that.

There's now been several people saying that Wii is overtracked, X360 is overtracked and Ps3 is undertracked. (This thread is still fine though, it discusses something completely differently)

Personally, I can't see why that (above) shouldn't be the case. But before going hoola bananas, I'm going to wait and see what the Source/Ioi says.

Oh, and could anyone find the regional breakdowns, or don't they do that anymore?

VGChartz numbers (sold)

11.5M X360s

10.6M Ps3s.

Now, this number might be even more incorrect than it seems.

The 360 is currently having a breeze going with it. So Microsoft would now expect more sales than Sony would, right? Well, last christmas it was either the opposite way around, or they were pretty tied.

So, that means that the X360 should now have more X360s in stores than they had at the start of 08, right? The Ps3 should be pretty much the same.

So, the shipped number should > the sold number for X360. It should be pretty equal for Ps3.

Edit:

Looking at the shipped numbers.

# PlayStation 3: 21.35m (VGC = 19.5M)
# Wii: 44.97m (VGC 45.55M)
# Xbox 360: 28.45m (27.4M)
# PlayStation 2: 138.15m (124M)
# NDS: 96.22m (97.1M)
# PSP: 51.26m" (43.3M)

I have to say that this is just bloody insane.

Ps3 numbers might be correct. 1.8M seems like a lot, but Ps3 sold less than Sony thought it would during christmas, right? Still, it's probably undertracked a bit.

Wii numbers > shipments by 500K. Even if Wii is virtually sold out, there's still ~ 500K unsold Wiis at that time (which would be 1/3 of the Ps3s). Overtracked by ~ 1M

X360 numbers seems pretty decent actually. But, the X360 shipped number (compared to sold) should be higher than Sony's. 27M blank sold seems more likely to me, but X360 seems pretty good.

Playstation 2. WHAT THE HELL? We have Ps2 at selling 8M in 08. Sony has shipped at 8.8M (and as expectations for next year are lower ~ 1M undertracked). Where did those 14M come from? That error must have been there a long, long time.

NDS. Was virtually sold out in the US, but should still have ~ 750K in stores (or so I assume). It is probably overtracked by more than 1.5M.

PsP. Again, What the heck? We have it at selling 13M, vs 16M shipped. Still, where did those other 5M come from? This error must also have been here a long time.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network
786_ali said:
Thats good news. I guess the gap isnt widening

That's a simplistic take on it. The gap was narrowing until the X360 had a price cut, and has been widening since. By December the two effects had cancelled eachother out, but you must still relmember that right now the X360 is selling better than the PS3, thus until something changes, the gap is widening.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

but but but,,ps3 is doomdz,,,3rd partiez willlll abondondz PS3!!!111!!111

ot:awesome.

Tbh Im not here on vgchartz for the sales XD i like to talk about games and this is where i go.

For news i go to ps3fanboy since im a fanboy XD

for reviews i go to gamespot & ign.

So i cant really care much about this but since im a fanboy and would like to belive that means sold to ppl and not shipped im gonna go ahead and say :

UNDERTRACKED!! XD

Too bad developers don't look at shipped numbers when deciding whether to go exclusive :(

and there's no real benefit for Sony as well seeing how the ps3 is being sold at a loss and all, this just means lower shipped numbers in 2009 :(

nojustno said:
Too bad developers don't look at shipped numbers when deciding whether to go exclusive :(

i don't think any 3rd party will go exclusive this gen(well 85% of them).  even if you money hat them they rather sell their game on both platforms.