By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Namco and Atlus (heart) XBOX360

axumblade said:
Onyxmeth said:
Kasz216 said:

Well Zoids Assualt doesn't sound so bad.  It just missed the mark.

Zoids games are all about the Zoids.

What makes a good zoids game?

Beating enemies capturing mechs and outfitting all sorts of different Zoids with different types of weapons based on your playing style.  Basically like turnbased Mechwarrior or something.  They have a few games like this and they kickass.  It's awesome to build up a bunch of different units based on the situation.

What did they do with this game?  They limited you to your starting zoids, and didn't let you get any of the dozens of other zoids to pilot.

It'd basically be like if they made a Pokemon game where you controlled a few pokemon... and couldn't "Catch them all."

Operation Darkness didn't seem too bad either.  It seemed like a good game... completly mired by a bad Camera that made the game unplayable.

I don't let Metacritic be the dictator of my decisions, but when I see the following score, 46/100 for both Operation Darkness and Zoids Assault, I know something went horribly wrong. Those scores do dictate the level of interest people have because I'm pretty sure almost all of the Atlus fans are internet users/informed gamers.

They almost have to be. I don't think I've ever seen any advertising for them except for on gaming sites.

Exactly. They require some good word of mouth and that is never going to happen without a few good reviews. Those two games got no good reviews, because they were throwaway titles from Atlus. It has no bearing on what kind of sales potential a real effort from them would have like a Shin Megami Tensei title.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network
Onyxmeth said:
Kasz216 said:
Onyxmeth said:
Kasz216 said:
axumblade said:
CaptDS9E said:
axumblade said:
How does "developing for xbox360" mean that they love the xbox 360? Valve didn't like developing for the PS3 but that didn't stop the Orange Box from coming out on the Ps3.

Valve didn't do the work on Orange Box for PS3. Another EA team did. That's the reason Left 4 Dead isn't out on PS3 yet. valve won't do it themselves

I guess that makes sense but at the same time doesn't explain why it means that Atlus is bias towards the 360. That's like saying Sega are bias towards Sony because they are making Yakuza.

Well Atlus has made like.... zero games for the PS3.

The only game they've even published for the system was Nippon Ichi's Disgaea 3.

I thought NIS published Disgaea 3 themselves. The only Disgaea game I remember Atlus publishing was the first for PS2 because Nippon Ichi hadn't set up their American publishing branch yet.

@MonstaMack-Operation Darkness and Zoids Assault bombed because they were practically shovelware. Atlus published RPGs are usually very niche and appeal to the educated gamer that knows the general quality of a game before he dives in. When the reviews trashed it, that dropped the appeal down to a bare minimum.

Beating enemies capturing mechs and outfitting all sorts of different Zoids with different types of weapons based on your playing style.  Basically like turnbased Mechwarrior or something.  They have a few games like this and they kickass.  It's awesome to build up a bunch of different units based on the situation.

What did they do with this game?  They limited you to your starting zoids, and didn't let you get any of the dozens of other zoids to pilot.

It'd basically be like if they made a Pokemon game where you controlled a few pokemon... and couldn't "Catch them all."

Operation Darkness didn't seem too bad either.  It seemed like a good game... completly mired by a bad Camera that made the game unplayable.

I don't let Metacritic be the dictator of my decisions, but when I see the following score, 46/100 for both Operation Darkness and Zoids Assault, I know something went horribly wrong. Those scores do dictate the level of interest people have because I'm pretty sure almost all of the Atlus fans are internet users/informed gamers.

Oh yeah.  I'm just saying i've read those reviews... as i originally wanted those games.

The cons break down to this

Operation Darkness

Camera makes the game impossible to play.

Graphics suck.  (Atlus games graphics ALWAYS suck... cause they port little developers games.  Like this)

Battles take a long time. (They'd take less time if the camera didn't make it impossible to do your job.)

Zoids

Can't get new Zoids

Graphics suck (All SRPGS graphics suck. Except VC.)

Same old same old Gameplay (All SRPGS have the same old same old gameplay.  Except VC...)

axumblade said:
Kasz216 said:
axumblade said:

Most Atlus games I have are either JRPG's or have JRPG aspects.

I also am ready to believe that Atlus are more willing to continue making games for the PS2 then move on to the PS3. They seem to be one of the only companies to still make new exclusives for the PS2.

True.  However look at their sales.

Persona 3 sold just as well in the US as it did in Japan.

They make JRPGs that appeal to Americans.  Basically the same Atlus Fanbase that'll buy everything they have.

The only real exception so far is that P4 kinda bombed in the US for some reason.  Maybe the release was too close to FES?

That's kind of where I was going with Microsoft's thoughts on it.

Microsoft wants to expand their audience in Japan and of course the U.S.. Microsoft have exclusive RPGs from Square Enix, Namco-Bandai, and Atlus. It seems more to me that Microsoft are trying to expand their market more than anything, whether it's in Japan or the US, it doesn't matter.

And judging by your description of the 360 games from Atlus, it seems like they haven't had great success with the 360, so I can see why they'd rather keep things on the PS2.

Yeah.  Right now Atlus is in a world of hurt.

I mean they go 360... and they lose their Japanese fanbase.

They go PS3, they lose their American fanbase.

They go Wii... who knows what happens there.

They're a small company so they have to be cautious

Soriku said:
I doubt they'd make Persona for the 360. It has too much anime influence, and ToV proves that too much anime influence will not make the game sell. On the other hand DotNW sold well. Persona is better suited for the Wii...or the PS2 again.

Now, some other series with more Western influence wouldn't be too bad for the 360.

I would buy any and every 360 game that comes to the US that has anime style RPGs, craptastic games even, over most Western RPGs developed by American/European companies. Too much realism defeats the purpose of playing a videogame which are supposed to help you escape reality in the first place. Which is why Sims is a fail, Second Life is fail and even Home is a fail to me. If Home was anime based I would love it.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Kasz216 said:
Onyxmeth said:
Kasz216 said:
Onyxmeth said:
Kasz216 said:
axumblade said:
CaptDS9E said:
axumblade said:
How does "developing for xbox360" mean that they love the xbox 360? Valve didn't like developing for the PS3 but that didn't stop the Orange Box from coming out on the Ps3.

Valve didn't do the work on Orange Box for PS3. Another EA team did. That's the reason Left 4 Dead isn't out on PS3 yet. valve won't do it themselves

I guess that makes sense but at the same time doesn't explain why it means that Atlus is bias towards the 360. That's like saying Sega are bias towards Sony because they are making Yakuza.

Well Atlus has made like.... zero games for the PS3.

The only game they've even published for the system was Nippon Ichi's Disgaea 3.

I thought NIS published Disgaea 3 themselves. The only Disgaea game I remember Atlus publishing was the first for PS2 because Nippon Ichi hadn't set up their American publishing branch yet.

@MonstaMack-Operation Darkness and Zoids Assault bombed because they were practically shovelware. Atlus published RPGs are usually very niche and appeal to the educated gamer that knows the general quality of a game before he dives in. When the reviews trashed it, that dropped the appeal down to a bare minimum.

Oh yeah.  I'm just saying i've read those reviews... as i originally wanted those games.

The cons break down to this

Operation Darkness

Camera makes the game impossible to play.

Graphics suck.  (Atlus games graphics ALWAYS suck... cause they port little developers games.  Like this)

Battles take a long time. (They'd take less time if the camera didn't make it impossible to do your job.)

Zoids

Can't get new Zoids

Graphics suck (All SRPGS graphics suck. Except VC.)

Same old same old Gameplay (All SRPGS have the same old same old gameplay.  Except VC...)

My biggest beef against Operation Darkness is the not so stellar storyline.. maybe I got spoiled with Fire Emblem's storyline....

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network
Soriku said:
axumblade said:
Soriku said:
I doubt they'd make Persona for the 360. It has too much anime influence, and ToV proves that too much anime influence will not make the game sell. On the other hand DotNW sold well. Persona is better suited for the Wii...or the PS2 again.

Now, some other series with more Western influence wouldn't be too bad for the 360.

I don't think the anime influence is what made ToV do badly. I blame it on a lack of advertising mixed with being released within a few weeks of Infinite Undiscovery (which although it wasn't great, it was advertised like crazy on gametrailers and other places...also, when most people think RPG's the first company they think of is Square Enix..whereas Namco-Bandai make some great games, but they seem to be underestimated when it comes to the quality of the Tales of series).

Persona doesn't get advertised either.

Persona is selling to 50 million PS2s in America. Even if you divide up those into their little niches of interest, you'll still come up with more potential anime based RPG fans than the 360 has.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Hey you never know.

Atlus: We are interested in putting Persona 5 on the 360 but we don't want to lose any money.

*Microsoft pulls out the money hat*

Atlus: Damn ninja! Ok, you got a deal.

*Atlus announces Persona 5 will be a timed exclusive on the 360, pissing off PS3 and Wii owners and tempting more people to buy 360s*

It's just that simple.

Soriku said:
@Onyx

Yeah, I know. That's why continuing PS2 development wouldn't be so bad. But if they want to move, they should go to the Wii, where niche games can sell well.

I definitely agree. Small dogs like Nippon Ichi and Atlus have no business being on the HD consoles when they can get much more in profit working on the two handhelds, the Wii and the PS2. It's not like anything they do takes advantage of the hardware of the HD consoles. They're basically PS2 games placed onto the HD consoles. If anything, they should keep their PS2 or at best Wii level of graphics and just straight port the titles to the 360 and PS3. No extra graphics. Based on Disgaea 3, I don't think anyone would mind, and it would keep costs down.

People tend to think that Atlus made Operation Darkness. They didn't, Success did. Atlus just translated it over for the US. Atlus did not develop any of the games that they published for the 360.

Operation Darkness - Developer Success - Publisher Atlus
Spectral Froce 3 - Developer Idea Factory - Publisher Atlus
Zoids Assault - Developer Takara Tomy - Publisher Atlus

It's a different story for the Persona games, they are actually Developed and Published by Atlus.

The only Shin Megami game that Atlus didn't develop was Shin Megami Tensei: NINE for Xbox, wish was developed by Next Entertainment.

Atlus has never developed a game for an Xbox console.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence
Soriku said:
The Japanese fanbase is already on the Wii. Besides, more NA people on the Wii are open to RPGs.

Soriku, where did you get this from?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.