By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 widens the gap on PS3 by 8 million. PARTY TIME 360 FANS!!!!!!!

The miracle I was referring to would be in their finances, to allow them to be able to drop the price. The sales surge would be no more miraculous than the 360's IMO.

What are all the consoles for which $199 was the magic number at which sales jump dramatically? Hell, how many consoles started above $200 at all?
http://curmudgeongamer.com/imgdisplay.php3?shotfile=console-prices-absolute.png
Intellivision, Atari 5200, Neo Geo, CDi, 3DO, Jaguar, PS1, Saturn, PS2, Xbox, 360, PS3.

I presume you don't have actual data supporting the conclusion that the Intellivision and Atari 5200 were aided by massive sales spikes upon being cut to $199. Please do correct me if I'm wrong. I presume as well that you're not referring to the Neo Geo, CDi, 3DO, or Jaguar.

So we're left (pending any correction) with the Saturn, PS1, PS2, Xbox, and 360. (Notice that despite "30 years of history" the oldest console in this group is only half that old.) The PS1, PS2, and Xbox all launched at $300 and, I'll presume, got large permanent sales boosts upon being price-cut to $200, or $100 and 1/3 less. The Saturn launched at $400, and I'm not willing to presume anything without supporting information. The 360 (having launched at $300/400) got cut in price to $199(/299/399) quite recently, so I'd rather wait for the dust to settle on that one, but fine, let's presume that one too.*

But the PS3 started at a much higher price than the other consoles that you're comparing it to; and it does in fact have Blu-ray, which while not a reason for people to buy a PS3 by itself does have merit as an "added value" feature.

The trends you speak of are indeed powerful, but it must also be remembered that the PS3 is doing much better, comparatively, than the Saturn, which may be the most comparable historical console to the PS3.

Also, since money is never quite worth what it used to be; even if the higher starting price and Blu-ray don't affect the PS3's magic number, who says the magic number isn't higher than it used to be? The Wii is sitting pretty at $250; the 360 Arcade dropped straight from $280 to $200.

* Although the fact that this presumption must be made is part of the reason why I don't think that ought to be part of an otherwise straightforward comparison.

P.S. What I said wasn't that I like to get the last word, it's that I like to rebut responses to me. The result may sometimes be functionally the same but in actuality the impulse is quite different. I'm not just rewording baseless emotional objections in order to sound like I'm giving an argument here.

P.P.S. I honestly think the 360 is doing well enough that shouldn't be necessary to make this kind of stretch to deny the PS3 even this highly technical victory ... which, as you note, won't necessarily last.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

Things are not looking good for Sony.

Lol, awesome thread.

This was awesome.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

heres to a future 9 million lead!!!!

Hammer-of-Dawn said:
heres to a future 9 million lead!!!!

Hear hear!! This is the best e-party ever.

Around the Network

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=YlS6z3Cvx9M&feature=channel_page

If you had to imagine the struggle and eventual victory between the two consoles.......the above link does a pretty good job.

Final-Fan said:

The miracle I was referring to would be in their finances, to allow them to be able to drop the price.

Ah, so now it's a matter of believing in miracles. Financial miracles in the middle of a financial recession. With Sony Computer Entertainment parent company, Sony, hemmorraging money.

Dellusion can't be argued against =/

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

weres teh b33rrr

What was the 360 at when the PS3 was released? I think this is the biggest lead the 360 has ever had on the PS3, but i might be mistaken.

Times Banned: 12

Press----------------> <----------------Press

Bitmap Frogs said:
Final-Fan said:
The miracle I was referring to would be in their finances, to allow them to be able to drop the price.
Ah, so now it's a matter of believing in miracles. Financial miracles in the middle of a financial recession. With Sony Computer Entertainment parent company, Sony, hemmorraging money.

Dellusion can't be argued against =/

1.  The only reason it would be a miracle is because of the recession and Sony's troubles, so your comment is redundant.
2.  If currency stabilizes it might not even need a "miracle".
3.  Any sort of bailout would qualify.
4.  If you've been reduced to insulting me instead of actually discussing anything seriously, then (regardless of who is right) I suggest we end this exchange.  I don't want to continue this if this is the way you're going to act.  At least Onimusha's accusations are a little more elegantly put.  (And IIRC properly spelled.)

If you're also willing to end this (without anyone claiming victory or saying the other person ran away) instead of pointlessly continuing to insult me, you needn't respond. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom!