By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 360 widens the gap on PS3 by 8 million. PARTY TIME 360 FANS!!!!!!!

Comeon, Hammer, where's the Halo 3 love?

@ CGI
I have no idea either...

flames_of - "I think you're confusing Bush with Chuck Norris."

Wii: 80-85 Million end of 2009 (1.1.09)

Around the Network

Good news. Here's hoping someday we see it over 10+ million gap by the end of 2010. However, a 9 million gap is not far fetched if Sony doesn't drop the price by Fall.

It's just that simple.

i gotz the Halo 3 love. but this is about 360 sales.

You want me to make a 9 million Halo 3 thread?????? cuse i think thats pushing it. Ill just comment on the Halo 3 page.

Congrats Microsoft for making the best console this gen. You were the underdog when the gen started, and now you're the HD king. One year lead or not, the gap has widen from 6 to 8 million. This is truly an achievement for the little engine that could.

This all but confirms the death of the PS3. The king has been overthrown. Sony, it's time to put down this mule, or else it'll take the farm down.

But no worries, sony's 30-year plan will alleviate this problem. Like they say about movies in hollywood...few of them ever really fail...eventually, over a 20-30 year span...you'll make back the cost.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Around the Network

Um hasnt it been 8 million for like the past couple months? or am I lost...lol also I dont see the gap getting much larger since the 360 only sales roughly about 60,000 more consoles a month worldwide...

also I did not know anyone in this website worked for Microsoft wow :) now Im excited lol....your partying for what reason? you getting money from this or something?

Bitmap Frogs said:
Final-Fan said:
The thing is, you accuse him of deliberately cutting off the latest 360 boost on the graph when it's clearly a false accusation and irrelevant data.  (http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php is clearly a generic graph and available from the main menu; the latest 360 boost is irrelevant for comparing weeks-from-launch sales of the consoles.)

The fact that the PS3 is doing better over time than the 360 may not mean that the PS3 will do equally better overall, since the platforms are not operating in a vacuum but rather acting against and reacting to each other.  The 360 was able to build up steam in an environment without the PS3 or especially the Wii, and the end of the gen is not going to delay itself by a year for the PS3 to "even it out".

Despite all this, the comparison does illustrate why anyone thinking the PS3 is down for the count ought to think twice.  And your eagerness to jump all over someone making this point says more about you than it does about them.
Yes, but it is a misleading generic graph since it doesn't show the whole picture. He might not have done it on purpose, but he's certainly misleading and biasing the discussion by providing a graph that is missing data.

I think either you are misunderstanding things or my style doesn't convey meanings properly. Read again my posts, there isn't a single hint about "the ps3 is down for the count". That's your quote, not mine by the way. And the reason there isn't a single hint is because it's obvious it's not. Heck, the fact you assume I'm posting under that understatement clearly shows you might be oversensitive about this issue.

But there's no denying the ps3 is in the same situation the 360 was during the first months of 2007: after a long period of time at the same price point, the sales started to go down YoY. That's what's happening to the ps3. The only thing that changed the trend for the X360 was a pricecut and I'd wager the ps3 could use one. But SCE can't afford it and until they can they will bleed marketshare.

No, it's not misleading for a synchronized-launch comparison.  Having that additional holiday boost in the graph may give 360 fans a warm and fuzzy feeling but it's meaningless for the comparison when the other consoles aren't even close to being that far along. 

You misunderstand:  I didn't say you said it was down for the count, I said that the other guys were saying it WASN'T and you jumped all over them for basing that claim on supposedly twisted evidence that IMO was perfectly sound (if limited in scope).  Now that I look back it's debatable that they were being that restrained, but you still misinterpreted in any case. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

At a rate of 100,00 a month, it'll be about 8.3 million before the supposed price cut in april. If there is no price cut, it could make 9 million b4 the main holidays, and be pushed over to 10 million before the end of 09.. this is all a maybe. Perhaps we'll see it at 5 million at the end of 09.

Just2Fresh said:
Um hasnt it been 8 million for like the past couple months? or am I lost...lol also I dont see the gap getting much larger since the 360 only sales roughly about 60,000 more consoles a month worldwide...

also I did not know anyone in this website worked for Microsoft wow :) now Im excited lol....your partying for what reason? you getting money from this or something?

you want the reason for this party of sorts?

Simple: to rub the 8 million gap into every PS3 fan who cares about one day taking 2nd place. And to celebrate the 360 success!

Just2Fresh said:
 360 only sales roughly about 60,000 more consoles a month worldwide...

60,000 more consoles a month worldwide... ???

Right now It's got a 61k lead one week alone not including Japan figures. I figure they lose 10-20k off of Japan, so at the worst they are managing a 40k lead every week. At the worst they are getting 160k lead a month, so if Sony doesn't drop the price by any then you can expect another million (or more) lead by July or August if Sony decides to do nothing price cut wise.

It's just that simple.