By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The official RE5 Demo impressions thread

O-D-C said:
hmm... now Im torn on this game.

Resident Evil = one of my favorite series ever

but their taking thigns out that made it so great...

That started already after RE3.....

Around the Network

To be honest. I was a bit disapointed by the demo. And I'm a HUGE RE4 fan. It is one of my top games of all time. Maybe there just wasn't enough there? It doesn't help that the first mission felt like playing the opening town section of RE4 where a horde is after you and all you do is survive until they stop attacking you (in this case, a helicopter saves you). I'm a little torn by CO-OP. I don't really like the knife controls like others here but I don't mind having a different button for action then A as it makes sure you do what you want and not do something else while running by accident. The menu system isn't as good as 4 to me, I liked having to manage my weapons and item space. But I understand why it wouldn't work with CO-OP. The game not pausing for you to open your menu is frustrating at times but adds a tension to the game. What is weird is that I was more impressed with the demo of Fear 2. But at the same time, Fear 1 was unrememberable to me and I traded it in so I was expecting nothing from FEAR 2. I was however expecting everything from RE5. That being said, RE5 is still a first day buy and I'll probably just rent FEAR 2 as I don't see myself replaying it. After the demo it may be worth a buy though. And is it just me, or did the enemies in Fear 2 look like they were copied from MGS4's Frog unit? lol

PS3 Trophies

Solid_Raiden said:
To be honest. I was a bit disapointed by the demo. And I'm a HUGE RE4 fan. It is one of my top games of all time. Maybe there just wasn't enough there? It doesn't help that the first mission felt like playing the opening town section of RE4 where a horde is after you and all you do is survive until they stop attacking you (in this case, a helicopter saves you). I'm a little torn by CO-OP. I don't really like the knife controls like others here but I don't mind having a different button for action then A as it makes sure you do what you want and not do something else while running by accident. The menu system isn't as good as 4 to me, I liked having to manage my weapons and item space. But I understand why it wouldn't work with CO-OP. The game not pausing for you to open your menu is frustrating at times but adds a tension to the game. What is weird is that I was more impressed with the demo of Fear 2. But at the same time, Fear 1 was unrememberable to me and I traded it in so I was expecting nothing from FEAR 2. I was however expecting everything from RE5. That being said, RE5 is still a first day buy and I'll probably just rent FEAR 2 as I don't see myself replaying it. After the demo it may be worth a buy though. And is it just me, or did the enemies in Fear 2 look like they were copied from MGS4's Frog unit? lol

No they were copied from the first FEAR game

Barozi said:
Solid_Raiden said:

No they were copied from the first FEAR game

I played the original fear game and I don't remember all of those enemies. Some yes. But not the ones I'm referring to with the helmets just like the frogs with the 6 eyes of so that light up. Not saying it's a big deal or anything. Just thought it was funny. Or maybe I'm just totally wrong.

PS3 Trophies

I wish it would just hurry up and come to the PSN. I really want to play it. I love me some RE, and I loved 4 alot too even if it is a sort of RE bastard child.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

I hate it when they don't release demos at the same time on XBox 360 and PS3. I wanna try it out and see how it compares to my two favorite RE games (4 and 2).

Signature goes here!

Big RE fan here. I enjoyed the demo, but agree with many of the posts above. Controls are a bit clumsy, but I am sure that will come with more play time. Co-op looks like it will be awesome while playing with a friend, and a pain in the ass when the comp is in control, but we shall see.

It is tough for me right now because I cant get a complete feel for the game until I have experienced the story as it unfolds. Day 1 buy for me, but still a bit skeptical.

I really enjoyed Dead Space (freaking awesome), so if this game can come close to it atmosphere-wise , I will be a happy gamer.

all i can say its Resident Evil 4 with improved graphics and less ammo also the AI is very stupid.

FKNetwork said:
NJ5 said:
FKNetwork said:
NJ5 said:
FKNetwork said:

Naa, my 360 is fine, it's brand new (3 weeks ago) and it's only this demo with screen tearing (all my other games are fine), the screen tearing issue on this demo has been mentioned a lot on the xbox forums too so can't just be me lol.

I was playing just now and I don't see any tearing. What cable and resolution are you using?

I'm using HDMI at 720p.

I'm using a "monster" HDMI Cable at 1080P so unless it's because i'm on a slightly higher resolution? I might test it on 720P, is there anyway you could try it on 1080P?

My TV does not support 1080p, sorry. Do try it at 720p, I'm curious now.

I'll test it shortly and report back here :)

Ok, been testing the demo on 720P, 1080i and 1080P,

720P (HDMI Lead), absolutely perfect, no screen tear at all that I could see (v-sync on?)

1080i (HDMI Lead), also perfect, no screen tear anywhere (v-sync on?)

1080P (HDMI Lead), lots of screen tear which is actually very bad and seems to happen almost non stop in some parts, I personally think they have turned v-syncing off on the 1080P resolution to keep the framerate high where as the lower resolutions have it turned on hence no screen tear present, 

This will be exactly the same on the PS3 when the demo is out (will also test that too)

Very strange though!

@FKNetwork: I have to say, that is really weird. The upscaling to 1080p is supposed to be done in hardware (so no slowdown) and I never heard of it causing tearing problems!

Well at least you solved your problem! I suppose the picture doesn't get much worse in 720p compared to 1080p, as 1080p is very likely upscaled anyway.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957