By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The official RE5 Demo impressions thread

Ok, so the demo for one of 2009's most wanted games is on Xbox Live today (Gold only, silver next week) and will probably be on PSN next week.

Place your impressions here. To save everyone from my regular whining about how RE has changed for the worse since RE4 I won't complain about it, but just give my impressions:

Graphics: Amazing. No other word for it. Characters look great, environments in the demo are very light, but I'm sure that will change, but looked really cool. I was kinda shocked when I blasted my shotgun and blew away a whole shack, lol. Pretty cool. The CGI sequences look astonishing. Very well done.

Controls: So far I used Control D type controls. They're ok. I'm glad running+gunning is still not possible, since it creates a good atmosphere. I really want to kill the one who decided to put "Run" on the A button though, since it's impossible to control the right-stick that way. X would have been much better, with A for grabbing items. Shooting goes, as usual, with Left trigger + Right trigger.

The knife is ridiculous though. It's LT+LB. So you can forget about knifing through the game in this control scheme. Also what's with not being able to kick/cut boxes and crates? Do I really have to waste a bullet on those? That's stupid.

Gameplay: Bit of a mixed bag. Especially the AI is horrible. "Zombies" are literally just walking around in whatever direction they feel like doing. The huge amount of enemies kind makes up for it though. The two "bosses" in the demo are pretty cool. But overall it plays really well and there's definitely a sense of urgency. Not as much as in the beginning of RE4, but maybe that's just because it's the demo. Level design of the Shanty town is pretty cool, with the RE4 style location based actions, like jumping through a window.

But it is definitely very shooter like. The amount of ammo was not too bad though. I definitely ran out of ammo a few time, which I consider to be a good thing.

Co-op: Sorry. I just don't like co-op. Sheva is ok, but she walks in my way and uses all of her ammo. Besides that I have to save her every 20 seconds. It is kinda handy that she can save me as well, though. The second level of the demo uses the co-op, but basically it's a joke. I spend at least a full minute figuring out what I had to do, while she was on the other side of the road in a building, yet she didn't die but only repeadetly screamed for help. It's probably fun if you like playing co-op online, but for me I'm afraid it will ruin the atmosphere having someone on my headphones. Basically I just want to shut down the lights and play it alone.

Really a big shame that there's no option of playing with Chris or Sheva alone.

Around the Network

i played this 2 months ago if i remember, i don't want to remember the demo, it was so dissappointing for me, a huge RE fan. Though i'm still pickin the game up, i believe it is a MUST to play Co-OP in order to enjoy the game.

You enjoyed running out of ammo sometimes, Benga?...That´s one of the worst situations in a game like that.

Its a lot like RE4 with updated graphics and that's not really a bad thing as that was a great game.

Partner aspect/integration could be a little better, also in Single player you never sure how they are going to perform in regards to healing/shooting. Also giving/sharing weapons and ammo is cool but annoying when you want to give them some ammo and not all!

The quick menu bugs me a bit. I quite liked and was used to pausing the game to select items etc. Now the quick menu can leave you switching weapons and items as your surrounded by the enemy. Takes getting used to for me as I'm used to the pause.

Yet to try multiplayer, that will probably work quite well!

JGarret said:
You enjoyed running out of ammo sometimes, Benga?...That´s one of the worst situations in a game like that.

Well, I'm an olschool RE fan, so running out of ammo and ammo conservation is something I really like in the series, since it gives a good survival feel to it. Otherwise it would really be a shooter, which I don't want RE to be.

Around the Network

the only thing i didn't like was the AI

Stupid zombies =P

You wanna have your opinion, then you have to respect different opinions as well.

i liked the demo, i'll probably pick up the game a couple weeks after it launches.

@Benga

Really?...LT + LB for knife attacks?...that´s really retarded, but I can only imagine the final game will let you change that, eh...

But HEY...you mean that, unlike RE4, you CAN´T CUT CRATES AND BOXES???...HEY, that´s even more retarded.

I had a few niggling issues with the controls. For one thing, I would have preferred for the Action button (jumping out windows, punching, etc.) to be mapped to the same button as Run, just like in RE4. As it is, I get a bit confused and have to stop moving for a good 3-4 seconds to properly pick something up. This can mean life or death in this game.

But WOW! I love it! It feels like RE4 (one of my all-time favourites) on steroids.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Once I hear gameplay is bad ie bad ie i will just stay away from it.

I mean graphics dont make a good game they just make a good game better.
If gameplay is meh it means nothing.