By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft Eliminates the Core (new SKU: Xbox 360 Arcade)

From Kotaku:

Xbox 360 Arcade SKU includes:

256MB Memory Card
Wireless Controller
5 free XBLA Games
HDMI Connection

360 Gets European Price Cut, New Names

Microsoft just announced that European 360s are having their prices cut, probably to celebrate the late arrival of the Elite console in the region. The Core's now going to set you back £180/€ 279, while the Premium's been cut to £250/€ 349. The Elite, it's new, it doesn't need a cut. It's going on sale for £300/€ 450.

The Elite keeps its name, but the Premium looks like it's being changed to the Xbox 360 Pro and the Core's now called the Xbox 360 Arcade.

To coincide with these changes, the Arcade is apparently coming bundled with a 360 memory card which will be pre-loaded with 5 XBLA titles (two of which look like Pac-Man and Uno).

The price cuts apply from this Friday, 24 August.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

NOW the core is worth purchasing.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it pick up in sales after this, this is exactly what MS needed to do in order ot make the thing actually palatable.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

I think all the changes are a good idea, my only complaint is the memory card should be 512MB.
I would assume a 256MB memory card with 5 XBLA games doesn't leave that much room to spare. Of course, purchased XBLA games can be completely deleted and then downloaded again later for free....

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

From the comments on Kotaku:

"You know, looking at the larger image it actually looks quite fake. The word Arcade seems to be pasted over something else and it's noticeably sharper than other details on the box."

Note added on Kotaku:

Eds Note: We've seen a bigger version of the above pic (not identical, but close), and it might be a little altered. So take the colour and memory card news with a grain of salt.

Could this be a hoax?

Well, Microsoft Germany did a press release today. There was only the "Core" SKU, no "Acarde":

http://www.presseportal.de/pm/14822/1034652/microsoft_deutschland_gmbh

Around the Network

If M$ would just fix the hardware probs and make a public annoucment that it has been fixed and will not be a prob any more I would most def get one. Almost 2 years and waiting.

FAKE the arcade thing looks like its been done in MSPaint for godsake.Good price cuts though now the Core is the SAME PRICE as the Wii here in the UK!

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

yeah looking at that larger picture the arcade box screams "FAKE"

shame, it seemed like MS were finally going to do something right with the core...

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Rumor has it the 5 XBLA games will not be loaded on the memory card (which would take up most of the space), but will be included on a 'Xbox Live Arcade Compilation Disc' that will include:

n/a PAC-MAN CE
n/a BOOM BOOM ROCKET
n/a UNO
n/a LUXOR 2
n/a FEEDING FRENZY
n/a ZUMA (TRIAL)
n/a MARBLE BLAST ULTRA (TRIAL)
n/a 3D ULTRA MINIGOLF (TRIAL)
n/a FROGGER (TRIAL)
n/a SOLTRIO SOLITAIRE (TRIAL)
n/a VIVA PINATA demo
n/a SURF'S UP demo

Very smart move if true, although Boom Boom Rocket and Feeding Frenzy over Hexic and Geometry Wars is a strange move...

The issue with Geo-Wars is that it's still getting alot of sellthrough as far as I know.

Wherewas FF, Luxor 2 aren't as much....Better to give them games they have a slightly lower chance of buying (cept for Pacman CE and Uno, which are great sellers.).

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.