By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Isn't it a good thing that the PS3 is in last place right now?

I'm pretty sure Sony has already met economies of scale. At this point the more they make wouldn't necessarily make manufacturing that much cheaper. When they say a PS3 costs more to make then they sell it for, I'm pretty sure they are refering to the variable cost of manufacturing. So no matter how many you make they'd be looking at loses. 

Around the Network

Sony's strategy is to initially sell at a loss, but make it up with other stuff later. With the PS3 they're still selling at a loss, and weak sales mean they'll probably never make their money back with other stuff.

= no

The faster they sell, the quicker they can get production costs down. So the farther back it is, the longer they'll be stuck like this.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

I remember RolStoppable made a similar thread a few months back, to explain why DMeisterJ hadn't bought a PS3 yet.

Difference was he wasn't being serious. :-/

You have to define "last place". If "last place" meant being outsold by the 360 by two or three to one, then no, that's not a good position. But the 360, despite its far lower cost, outsold the PS3 only slightly during 2008. Once the PS3 drops to $299/299EUR, Sony's market share will go right back up.

Microsoft is the company which should be worried. Their monopoly days are drawing to a close, so they can't keep losing billions of dollars on hardware, and they have no answer to BluRay.

Around the Network
soccerdrew17 said:
Snake612 said:
At this point, I could really care less about which place it would be in.

this saying irks me.  saying "i could care less" means u do care.

I agree. To me this is a sign of someone who does not really think about what they are saying. The correct expression is "I couldn't care less," as in I care no amount about such and such. It is obvious that is what soccerdrew was trying to convey, but still.

SlorgNet said:
You have to define "last place". If "last place" meant being outsold by the 360 by two or three to one, then no, that's not a good position. But the 360, despite its far lower cost, outsold the PS3 only slightly during 2008. Once the PS3 drops to $299/299EUR, Sony's market share will go right back up.

Microsoft is the company which should be worried. Their monopoly days are drawing to a close, so they can't keep losing billions of dollars on hardware, and they have no answer to BluRay.

Fanboy alert. 1) Why does Microsoft need an "answer" to BR? They did just fine without an answer to DVD.

2) "Last place" is pretty clear. It is the console with the smallest market share. I'm pretty sure everyone else on this thread assumed as much, but there's always gotta be that one person. I like how you chnage the meaning to "being outsold 2 or 3 to 1." Nice, so being outsold 1.5 to 1 isn't losing, right?

3) Miscrosoft has yet to have a monopoly in the video game industry. They have expanded marketshare and console sales, as well as turned a yearly profit, since the days of Xbox 1, however. Their last posted loss was in 2006. Also, Microsoft just came out with an earnings report stating they have over 4 billion $ profit for fiscal year 08. Sony is projected to have a 1.7 billion $ loss. How do you reconcile those numbers with your story?

SlorgNet said:

Do you even read financial reports/threads before making comments like these? Sony's financials are going down the tubes, they are experiencing massive layoffs/restructuring, after posting a $1.7 BILLION loss this past year.

Meanwhile, Microsoft is apologizing to their shareholders, because they only made $4 Billion in profits last QUARTER. I'm sure they're sweating.

Oh, and I didn't realize MS had no answer to BluRay. And here I thought HD downloads/streaming was their answer. Oh wait, it is - and it's experiencing great success.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to define last place. It seems like a pretty simple term, but here you go - Last Place: If you are ranking consoles by sales, and all other consoles rank higher in both software and hardware sales, you're in last place. And that's Sony.

Well with ps3 bein last they should cut prices down to make more money so yeah i say its a good thing

Two thing's I would like to point out

Selling large quantities of a product brings you savings for buying components in bluk and the like

Sony also expected to be making more money(less loss) on each PS3 because
They could not anticipate the financial crisis, and the consequent weakening of the dollar/euro against the yen
They did not anticipate the Wii60 stealing exclusives and dlc, which has lowered the attach rate of the PS3