By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Breaking News: Sony to post massive $1.7 billion loss

smallflyingtaco said:
That is actually pretty cool, I occasionally read that. The local paper for me in the summers.

Sweet. Glad to meet a reader. Check us out - we're working on video podcasts for the site.

Check us out on gamer night too. You on PSN or LIVE?

Around the Network
madskillz said:
Spankey said:
madskillz said:
smallflyingtaco said:
madskillz said:
@ Kasz - you are correct. I have had an awesome opportunity - when I started in the biz, I wanted to work in the major leagues - one of the top 10 papers in the country. I not only accomplished that goal, but I am doing video game reviews for the paper, started a small biz and have earned mad respect with developers, PR firms and the like. However, I fully understand ethics and how a journalist could be tempted to spin it but being blackballed in this biz is no joke. (Google Jason Blair)

I can tell you this - I have seen folks piss on other folks in this biz and regret it soon enough. As influential and massive as this biz is, it's really a small biz. At every paper I have worked at, I've met other folks who know people I worked with or worked at papers I have worked at. You are bound to meet folks who will know someone who knows you.

Burn bridges at a paper and folks in the biz will soon find out.

OT: You'll see another round of stories when Sony actually starts trimming jobs.

So are you the same guy as on the Houston Chronicle Game Hacks blog?

Mad to the Skillz ... in the flesh. I'm here at the Chron right now, about to post a couple blog entries.

Out of interest, have MS ever approached you offering money to bad mouth Sony?

Never ... and if they did, I'd do a news story and a blog post. As a journalist, you can not be swayed by outside forces. Otherwise, I am writing press releases. I have two mindsets - the one here and other sites and my journalistic approach. I see good and bad in all the consoles. As a writer, I have to be unbiased and report the truth, regardless of how much I prefer a certain console over another. I review games and tell gamers of all consoles if spending $50-$60 for a game is worth it.

Oh, some game devs will offer some sweet swag, review guides, even trips for some writers, though I'd never do the trips. The swag is innocent enough, but still, you have to report all of it to the paper if you get it. Most times, we give back the swag to the newspaper and they sell it for a charity. Papers have different policies, but I want my reviews to be unbiased, honest and most of all, truthful.

That is why I really just SMH when I see uninformed fanbots confused about the mainstream media's role and stories. Honestly, they have no personal stake in the downfall of Sony. We are all customers of Sony at one point or another. Folks need to be informed about Sony's losses, especially when you are considering buying a console from a company that just reported a huge loss. No one knows what the future will hold - but the media is required to do stories like this. Say a person buys a PS3. Within months, Sony loses key 3rd party support. If the media didn't do their job, if folks here didn't post it, and that person was informed, it would really be bad all around. The person would definitely feel shafted. In the end, it's the consumer's responsiblity to research consoles and games and determine what fits their needs.

A long rant, but the only time I got close to bending ethics was when a minor league hockey team PR dude offered me a free authentic jersey. I was an intern, said 'Sure!' and got so lectured on media law - a class I had slept through. Went home and boned up on it. Fortunately, that was in 1996.

If a game dev or publisher wants me to write for them, I will consider the offer, but my services are not cheap. And if I did accept, I would be out of newspapers.

Awesome.

Just checking, because frankly I'm sick of all these "oh, MS is paying for blah blah blah" type comments. good to hear its all a load of bollocks.

Also, I'm glad to hear you're human with the bolded

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

it's funny, when i read saw the title, i thought, "since when is 1.7 billion dollars massive?" that's when i realized, i've seen too many huge negative numbers from the financial firms :)

anyway, in this age of numbers in the hundreds of billions, if not trillions, i really don't know what numbers mean anymore.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Lingyis said:
it's funny, when i read saw the title, i thought, "since when is 1.7 billion dollars massive?" that's when i realized, i've seen too many huge negative numbers from the financial firms :)

anyway, in this age of numbers in the hundreds of billions, if not trillions, i really don't know what numbers mean anymore.

I think it goes like this (speaking in terms of dollars/euros):

Millions - peanuts for big companies, significant to small/medium companies, nothing for countries

Billions - too much for small/medium companies, significant for big companies, not much for countries

Tens of billions - too much even for big companies, significant for countries

Hundreds of billions - Oh shit.

Trillions - The sky is falling.

It's just a rough guide but it should get you started :P

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

wow global economic crises along with the highest costing electronics equipment
company
big surprise there.

sony costs a lot because they never produce enough to be able to save money on economies of scale, instead they keep coming out with new models. Sony is a company that relies on its consumers in order to do research and constantly deliver cutting-edge. If people can't afford cutting-edge, then it loses the money that normally goes to funding development.

Mixed with yen difference and losing money on every ps3 (plus the investments in new tech) Sony is obviously going to lose money. Again big surprise

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
company
big surprise there.

sony costs a lot because they never produce enough to be able to save money on economies of scale, instead they keep coming out with new models. Sony is a company that relies on its consumers in order to do research and constantly deliver cutting-edge. If people can't afford cutting-edge, then it loses the money that normally goes to funding development.

Mixed with yen difference and losing money on every ps3 (plus the investments in new tech) Sony is obviously going to lose money. Again big surprise

Well when I was predicting this in November I got some flack for it.

"Sony losing money in a holiday quarter? No way, GTFO you Sony hater".

Of course hindsight is always 20/20.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Pah! Thats not even that much!

*cries*

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

madskillz said:
smallflyingtaco said:
That is actually pretty cool, I occasionally read that. The local paper for me in the summers.

Sweet. Glad to meet a reader. Check us out - we're working on video podcasts for the site.

Check us out on gamer night too. You on PSN or LIVE?

Once it is up and going I will be sure to check it out. LIVE only currentl.

Proud member of the Sonic Support Squad

NJ5 said:
theprof00 said:
company
big surprise there.

Well when I was predicting this in November I got some flack for it.

"Sony losing money in a holiday quarter? No way, GTFO you Sony hater".

Of course hindsight is always 20/20.

Yeah, it seemed like Sony fanboys were signing up for the VGChartz forums just to give you hell.

http://talkplaystation.com/scee-safe-for-now/

Gaming div seems safe nuff, they probably know damn well what will happen and when they will break even on the PS3 hardware.

The other divs have their ass over a frying pan, electronics especially.