By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kaz: We don't program the easy to develop for console that developers want

Onyxmeth said:
Arcturus said:

@Onyxmeth: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=57669&page=1

Edit: There was another thread that's floating around somewhere with 200+ posts.

Yeah that's just a re-printing of the original thread. There's too much juicy details in the interview to keep focus. Notice that not everyone is talking about the same thing in that thread and it could end up ballooning out of control with too many different conversations on too many different topics.

that have a name its called cherry picking, and read darth explanation.

Around the Network
neotea said:
Vetteman94 said:
Its both a bad idea and a good one at the same time.

Bad because developers can get frustrated with it and decide to not take their time on the games to make them great. And therefore you see horrible ports and even horrible exclusives as well.

Good because there will always be one developer that seems to get more out of the console then everyone else. Then other developers will see this and will try and make one better. And that reason alone can help make a console last the 10 years they want.

This does not make a console last 10 years.  Consumers make that decision and also harder to program for means less and less game made with longer development time to work on programing causing higher risk which in turn less game for people to buy which in turn less interest in console and ultimately less console sales making it harder to for a console to live 10 years.

If thats true then why did Sony come out with the PS3,  the PS2 was outselling everything?

But development on that console will get easier as the years go by, and will also get shorter. Game engines that are programed well for the PS3 will most likely be shared not to mention developing tips will be spread around as well. 

disolitude said:
Saturn was technically more powerful than the PS1.

However no one bothered to push its limits since it didn't sell well. Its a big gamble in my opinion. If PS3 sells a ton, devs will maybe take the time to learn the tricks to push its limits otherwise it will never get there.

Disolitude, you are on a roll today. You make an excellent point. I was going to point out the Saturn as well. Grandia took 5 years to develop on Saturn and the PS1 version only took 18 months. The graphics AM2 pulled off in the unreleased Virtua Fighter 3 port and Shenmue (Saturn) were far beyond what the PS1 was capable of. Unfortunately, the complexity of the architecture turned off developers and they went with the path of least resistance which was the PS1.

Jo21 said:
Onyxmeth said:
Arcturus said:

@Onyxmeth: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=57669&page=1

Edit: There was another thread that's floating around somewhere with 200+ posts.

Yeah that's just a re-printing of the original thread. There's too much juicy details in the interview to keep focus. Notice that not everyone is talking about the same thing in that thread and it could end up ballooning out of control with too many different conversations on too many different topics.

that have a name its called cherry picking, and read darth explanation.

You have no idea what cherry picking means obviously. It's taking a part of his comment and formulating an argument around it. I'm taking the entire section of that interview and talking about it. There is no cherry picking. Are you just ignorant or was that an attempt at trolling? Let me know.

Edit: Here's the definition in case it's really true and you don't know what cherry picking means.

Cherry picking is the act of pointing at individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position, while ignoring a significant portion of related cases or data that may contradict that position.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

As a computer engineer I hang my head in shame to think people like Kaz exist

So rather than make your console have good games as soon as possible, you make programmers lives miserable, games take longer to develop to achieve the same quality, costs skyrocket, along with a host of other problems that gain you absolutely nothing but grief.

Now, I don't really think they thought this when they first designed the PS3 with the CELL and RSX chip (or whatever their graphics chip is). I think this is Kaz making lame excuses on why it is so hard to program for the PS3. Also throw in marketing probably forced them to make "the most powerful" console, and I'm sure some Sony engineers are sorry they made it how they did.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
disolitude said:
Saturn was technically more powerful than the PS1.

However no one bothered to push its limits since it didn't sell well. Its a big gamble in my opinion. If PS3 sells a ton, devs will maybe take the time to learn the tricks to push its limits otherwise it will never get there.

Disolitude, you are on a roll today. You make an excellent point. I was going to point out the Saturn as well. Grandia took 5 years to develop on Saturn and the PS1 version only took 18 months. The graphics AM2 pulled off in the unreleased Virtua Fighter 3 port and Shenmue (Saturn) were far beyond what the PS1 was capable of. Unfortunately, the complexity of the architecture turned off developers and they went with the path of least resistance which was the PS1.

Indeed. the vids movies of those games stand as proof of what Saturn could do. Didn't really work out for Sega though... Ps3 seems to be suffering a similar fate. Quick and dirty ports...

Vetteman94 said:
neotea said:
Vetteman94 said:
Its both a bad idea and a good one at the same time.

Bad because developers can get frustrated with it and decide to not take their time on the games to make them great. And therefore you see horrible ports and even horrible exclusives as well.

Good because there will always be one developer that seems to get more out of the console then everyone else. Then other developers will see this and will try and make one better. And that reason alone can help make a console last the 10 years they want.

This does not make a console last 10 years.  Consumers make that decision and also harder to program for means less and less game made with longer development time to work on programing causing higher risk which in turn less game for people to buy which in turn less interest in console and ultimately less console sales making it harder to for a console to live 10 years.

If thats true then why did Sony come out with the PS3,  the PS2 was outselling everything?

But development on that console will get easier as the years go by, and will also get shorter. Game engines that are programed well for the PS3 will most likely be shared not to mention developing tips will be spread around as well. 

There are tons of reason why the PS2 was outselling everything and most people already know why so I'm not even going to elaborate on it.  Sony made the ps3 cause they make console games.  I mean come on what kind of question is that. The rest of the of what you say I agree with, but i still believe consumer are the ones to make the decision on console life not a company.

I TAKE NO SIDES

Pretty scary to think that a product was made difficult to program for deliberatly for that purpose. I mean I can understand the logic if it's because they want to get developers learning how to use the SPEs because they are going to scale the number of cores up in future consoles, that makes sense as the lessons learnt now will still apply on a larger scale later on.

Creating an artificial improvement scale in the games over the generation? That's just silly, it basically just means they are gimping the early games.

Never argue with idiots
They bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience

There are so many categories developers can compete over, why try to pressure them to fight over tech? They can focus on making better art, sound, story, single-player gameplay, multiplayer gameplay, interface, online functionality, content, content creation... have I missed any?

With all these challenges, why would you knowingly make programming harder? There's plenty of stuff there for developers to one-up each other over.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Just marking this thread to post later. Don't have the time right now.