By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kaz: We don't program the easy to develop for console that developers want

This interview of Kaz Hirai's that will appear in February's Official Playstation Magazine has already gotten a lot of site attention because of his comments about the Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii. What hasn't gotten the attention it deserves is this one portion which I feel needs it's own line of discussion. Note that nothing else from this interview other than the topic at hand can be discussed here. There are other topics to discuss the rest. Here's the quote:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/hirai-were-the-official-industry-leader

Hirai also addressed the complex architecture of the PS3, which developers have openly struggled to get to grips with.

"We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so then the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine-and-a-half years?" explained Hirai.

What does everyone think on the subject? Is the man being taken out of context, lying, or did Sony really develop a console to purposely derail development in the attempt to artificially inflate it's progression in it's later years?

I'll give my response in a moment after this thread gets a little traction.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

Wow. This thread will get some crazy responses...

In any case...yeah Kaz, great idea...that works for everyone...keep it up. Lets see how it works out in 10 years.

This has been posted a few times already.

well theoretically he has a point

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Arcturus said:
This has been posted a few times already.

Link me. I couldn't find any topic dealing with this part of the interview specifically. The main thread features it for a portion of page 3 but it's basically lost in the other ten conversations going on.

@Darth-Can you elaborate?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network

I think he's just making crap up to try to justify expensive tech.

Who the hell would brag that it takes major investment for developers to understand their tech? Somebody who doesn't give a damn about developers, I guess.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

@Onyxmeth: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=57669&page=1
you even posted in this thread

Edit: There was another thread that's floating around somewhere with 200+ posts.

Oh yeah make it harder to program for and causing developers to spend more money on people and hours = great idea.

I TAKE NO SIDES

sounds like a suit talking about tech he does not understand.

but that wont stop foolish kids form crying as if they being skinned alive, wehh wehh sony is evil.

Arcturus said:

@Onyxmeth: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=57669&page=1

Edit: There was another thread that's floating around somewhere with 200+ posts.

Yeah that's just a re-printing of the original thread. There's too much juicy details in the interview to keep focus. Notice that not everyone is talking about the same thing in that thread and it could end up ballooning out of control with too many different conversations on too many different topics.