By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Obama orders halt to Gitmo trials....ALREADY

MrBubbles said:
senseinobaka said:

Calm down. He's just making a reference to 24 and trying to get under your skin.

Anyway, this is exactly what Obama should have done. He promised he would and he did.

@superchunk: You are right, the fed should extend natural rights to everyone. However, these people should be treated as POWs. I'm not saying torture them and kill them, but they are clearly enemies with violent intent and in some cases have commited acts of war. They arent just some shoplifting criminals and they shouldn't be treated as such. They need to be handled and quartined for their violent nature. My question is: Is there a difference in how we handle a criminal vs a war enemy?

so hold them until all the terrorists everywhere admit they are defeated and stop fighting?  sounds like a fine idea to me.

Only problem is that POWs usually mean that the captive is a member of a regular army, and not a guerilla fighter. When you hide behind women in children, the Geneva convention typically doesn't apply....So we may need to find a new defition of a 'captured terrorist' than a POW.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
DaveD said:
I think the 1st 100 days of a presidency are supposed to be the most important and usually have the most changes in that time, or something

Well the first few months are a "free pass" pretty much.

The opposing party can't jump on you unless you propose something radical otherwise they look like bad guys getting in the way of progress and everything that goes bad will be there fault... while everythng good is there.

Which is why it's when you push all your midrange stuff that will make them real sick to their stomach... but just not bad enough to where they'll move against it.

mrstickball said:Only problem is that POWs usually mean that the captive is a member of a regular army, and not a guerilla fighter. When you hide behind women in children, the Geneva convention typically doesn't apply....So we may need to find a new defition of a 'captured terrorist' than a POW. 

Actually, POW status is conferred upon many other people. Being a member of a regular army does qualify one for POW status, but it also applies to those are authorized to accompany the regular army (for example, defense contractors), militias, and even guerilla groups that display a certain number of defined characterisitcs. Those who hide behind women and children would be guilty of perfidy and would be charged with war crimes. Captured terrorists are labeled as unlawful combatants and are not conferred POW status. With that being said, they are still entitled to humane treatment (no physical or mental torture) and (I believe) can expect a trial in a regularly constituted court. 

This is a confusing and demanding issue, but I believe Obama, in conjunction with the previous rulings of the Supreme Court, is beginning to move the US in the correct direction.

Well, I disagree with omaba about this.. But, I think the nation has more important things to worry about than captured terrorists. I mean, they're already captured. Forced captivity is MUCH worse than the death penalty (in this case, water boarding is worse than just forced captiviy, but they are still rotting, so why do you complain?)

I don't know though anymore, this quasi-torture would effectively soldify forever their hate for the united states.. But they should be punished...
It's all very complex, and I am not in the mood to think about it.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

senseinobaka said:
NinjaKido said:
halogamer1989 said:
Ever heard of the ticking bomb scenario. I would much rather prefer the more productive approach--live feed of a staged killing of their family. No retreat, no surrender, hoo-rah.

You are nothing short of a disgrace ,  I don't mind being banned for saying that .... you are .

Calm down. He's just making a reference to 24 and trying to get under your skin.

Anyway, this is exactly what Obama should have done. He promised he would and he did.

@superchunk: You are right, the fed should extend natural rights to everyone. However, these people should be treated as POWs. I'm not saying torture them and kill them, but they are clearly enemies with violent intent and in some cases have commited acts of war. They arent just some shoplifting criminals and they shouldn't be treated as such. They need to be handled and quartined for their violent nature. My question is: Is there a difference in how we handle a criminal vs a war enemy?

Actually, the ttbs is an actual NSA, CIA, and military scenario that involves short-term to near immediate threats to national security, ie, dirty bomb, cyberattack, invasion, etc., etc.  Just b/c 24 played up on this situation does not mean it cannot happen for real.  Mossad, Shin Bet, MI6, NSA, CIA, KGB, all have protocols for this and classifies as a Code-Red in the DHS' SAS.  This will immediately lead the President to upgrade to at least Defcon 3.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
MrBubbles said:
senseinobaka said:

so hold them until all the terrorists everywhere admit they are defeated and stop fighting?  sounds like a fine idea to me.

Only problem is that POWs usually mean that the captive is a member of a regular army, and not a guerilla fighter. When you hide behind women in children, the Geneva convention typically doesn't apply....So we may need to find a new defition of a 'captured terrorist' than a POW.

They were part of an army. The Taliban Army of the Taliban Government who was in full control of Afgahnistan when we took it over.

They should be tried for their crimes like any other human has the right to be. Our constitution should be followed in cases where we are presenting prosecution agaisnt anyone regardless of where they were born.

Should they be thrown in general prisons, no of course not. They should be put in maximum federal prison with other foreigners and allowed due process.

superchunk said:
mrstickball said:
MrBubbles said:
senseinobaka said:

They were part of an army. The Taliban Army of the Taliban Government who was in full control of Afgahnistan when we took it over.

They should be tried for their crimes like any other human has the right to be. Our constitution should be followed in cases where we are presenting prosecution agaisnt anyone regardless of where they were born.

Should they be thrown in general prisons, no of course not. They should be put in maximum federal prison with other foreigners and allowed due process.

Can't help but reading this thread but personally I believe the nature of such detainees is so critical that only military tribunals should be used.  They [jihadists] have no earthly judge after all and are judged, at least they believe, by Allah.  Of course then you risk the martyrdom situation which worsens things internationally.  Permanent incapacitation takes care of both birds w/ one stone but that complicates things.

Jesus effing christ, what's wrong with you kid? 19 years old and talking trash like that? It's a disgrace.

It kind of freaks me out that the US has become a self proclaimed sheriff of the world. You guys put yourself in a situation where you will always have to go "evil" and act against your country's beliefs to fight against your enemies. I would say that Obama did the right thing now.

About the captured terrorists, obviously they should be counted as POWs, since all of them have been captured in a war that the US started. As such, these people are being detained within all laws written down by the UN. They should immediately be transported to an international court that would judge if he had done anything wrong.

The most unbelievable thing is, that as of now, these terrorists, if not accused by any court whatsoever, are not guilty of anything, since most of them were captured in Iraq and Afghanistan. Those countries did not start a war with anyone, it was the USA that invaded both countries. Most, i would assume, are really not guilty of any terroristc activity and were only defending themselves during the invasion, but since they were in various ways connected to Al-Queda(say someone was seen near an actual terrorist, ergo he is one as well) they were captured and imprisoned labled as terrorists.

I mean, come on. Al-queda is some 5000 people in strength, but during the middle east invasion there were tens of thousands people fighting against the coalition forces. Were they all terrorists? No. Most were people that were damn pissed that another group of people with a huge army began war operations on their land, under a banner of justice as well, demolishing pretty much everything on the way.

Right now i would assume that most of the guerilla warfare going down in Afghanistan is the work of normal citizens that just want the white pople to get the fudge out. And we call them terrorists for wanting that.

If i lose access to this profile as well....I'm done with this site.....You've been warned!!.....whoever you are...

Happy Wii60 user. Me and my family are a perfect example of where hardcore meets casual and together mutate into something awesome.

yanamaster said:

Jesus effing christ, what's wrong with you kid? 19 years old and talking trash like that? It's a disgrace.

It kind of freaks me out that the US has become a self proclaimed sheriff of the world. You guys put yourself in a situation where you will always have to go "evil" and act against your country's beliefs to fight against your enemies. I would say that Obama did the right thing now.

About the captured terrorists, obviously they should be counted as POWs, since all of them have been captured in a war that the US started. As such, these people are being detained within all laws written down by the UN. They should immediately be transported to an international court that would judge if he had done anything wrong.

The most unbelievable thing is, that as of now, these terrorists, if not accused by any court whatsoever, are not guilty of anything, since most of them were captured in Iraq and Afghanistan. Those countries did not start a war with anyone, it was the USA that invaded both countries. Most, i would assume, are really not guilty of any terroristc activity and were only defending themselves during the invasion, but since they were in various ways connected to Al-Queda(say someone was seen near an actual terrorist, ergo he is one as well) they were captured and imprisoned labled as terrorists.

I mean, come on. Al-queda is some 5000 people in strength, but during the middle east invasion there were tens of thousands people fighting against the coalition forces. Were they all terrorists? No. Most were people that were damn pissed that another group of people with a huge army began war operations on their land, under a banner of justice as well, demolishing pretty much everything on the way.

Right now i would assume that most of the guerilla warfare going down in Afghanistan is the work of normal citizens that just want the white pople to get the fudge out. And we call them terrorists for wanting that.

I don't know.  What is wrong with me.  Better yet, how many 19 year olds do you see that have political and national connections, top 5% of their class, Presidential Honors Graduate, and actually know shit from shinola instead of just women, movies, cars, and other things.  Now if I were you, I would recognize that if it was not for a large part of the US's efforts you would be a Nazi right now so remember that before you criticize and actually blow steam that has a bit of factual logic behind the claims.

Al-Qaida is not 5000 people.  They are an int. force of millions if you include off-shoots and like minded individuals and cells (operative, rogue, splinter, or standby).  This is a 5th Crusade basically in the eyes of the Islamic world.

Wow..... just wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.