By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Upcoming PS3 Firmware (v2.60) Update

nightsurge said:

To paraphrase:  We should accept crap and not want improvement to the console's "main" function.  We should admit it sucks and rely on hope alone.  Also, I pity the fool who is angered by lack of features to a console/service.

Hmmm this meal seems complete, however it could use a dessert.

Well here is your chocolate ice cream!

Chocolate Ice Cream sucks and is for pussies, it's all about Chocolate MOUSSE ice cream.

Sigh.

Who are you to say what the "Main Function" is or isnt? What if you only bought it for it's Blu-ray drive? Do you give a shit about the in-game XMB if you don't own any games? I would think not (I could be wrong of course). How about for family's or people in general that do give a shit about the picture options (they're out there y'know). Sony's gunning this thing to be a multi-media hub, and this kind of support gives mention to that fact. As I mentioned, if they added nothing, you wouldn't be complaining right now. I don't see how adding something that wasn't there before makes something worse >_>. Many of us bought PS3's before in game XMB was even there. We thought it was worth owning even without it. It's the 360 elitist's that spawn this kind of nonsense by talking about how things should or shouldn't be. My roomates 360 can't play blu-discs. Let me go cry you a river.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

Making the xmb more efficient is definately a must, maybe they just need to get rid of all the options that would log you out of your game if you tried to use them? I don't know how the xmb is so slow, isn't a whole SPU dedicated to running it?

They need Divx 7.0 support so we can all play MVK Files flawlessly :(

ChronotriggerJM said:
nightsurge said:

To paraphrase:  We should accept crap and not want improvement to the console's "main" function.  We should admit it sucks and rely on hope alone.  Also, I pity the fool who is angered by lack of features to a console/service.

Chocolate Ice Cream sucks and is for pussies, it's all about Chocolate MOUSSE ice cream.

Sigh.

Who are you to say what the "Main Function" is or isnt? What if you only bought it for it's Blu-ray drive? Do you give a shit about the in-game XMB if you don't own any games? I would think not (I could be wrong of course). How about for family's or people in general that do give a shit about the picture options (they're out there y'know). Sony's gunning this thing to be a multi-media hub, and this kind of support gives mention to that fact. As I mentioned, if they added nothing, you wouldn't be complaining right now. I don't see how adding something that wasn't there before makes something worse >_>. Many of us bought PS3's before in game XMB was even there. We thought it was worth owning even without it. It's the 360 elitist's that spawn this kind of nonsense by talking about how things should or shouldn't be. My roomates 360 can't play blu-discs. Let me go cry you a river.

Well said Chrono. Plus PSN is free, not subscription based

blazinhead89 said:
ChronotriggerJM said:
nightsurge said:

Sigh.

Well said Chrono. Plus PSN is free, not subscription based

It is talk like yours like is killing Sony this generation.  You say they are trying to make a huge multi-media hub, but that is exactly what is killing them in sales.  They are advertising everything but the games.  The PS3 is first and foremost a Gaming Console, it was designed as such, and any other features are additions.  The amount of people who bought it for games greatly outnumbers those who solely bought it as a blu-ray player or something else.  If they added nothing I'd still be complaining about the lack there of.  I never said it made it worse, just that they need to focus their attention on more gaming related features.  This update is so minimal, they should have just kept these updates for a different date and time when they had more to update all at once.

I pity you and your over justification of things that every "gamer" on the PS3 knows they need.

Around the Network

Pathetic. A photo gallery? Really? It's a nice addition, but there's so much more they could have done:

-Trophy leaderboard
-Faster in-game XMB
-Better friends system
-In game pictures and videos (teh cell can handle it )
-Hell, in game SETTINGS.
-PS2 software emulation (not happening for a while, I know)

And why would a guest want to access PSN? It's free. If they sign up, they can download things. Funnily enough, looking through the PSN is not fun. Playing PS2 games is more fun than looking through the PSN.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

The update looks a load of Pish to me, I never really watch videos and look at pictures on PS3 so it isnt good for me.

Help I cant get my trophy card to work.

nightsurge said:

It is talk like yours like is killing Sony this generation.  You say they are trying to make a huge multi-media hub, but that is exactly what is killing them in sales.  They are advertising everything but the games.  The PS3 is first and foremost a Gaming Console, it was designed as such, and any other features are additions.  The amount of people who bought it for games greatly outnumbers those who solely bought it as a blu-ray player or something else.  If they added nothing I'd still be complaining about the lack there of.  I never said it made it worse, just that they need to focus their attention on more gaming related features.  This update is so minimal, they should have just kept these updates for a different date and time when they had more to update all at once.

I pity you and your over justification of things that every "gamer" on the PS3 knows they need.

See, again, your putting words into Sony's mouth >_> The PS3 is probably they're most ambitious project to date, and "One of" it's primary functions was to play games (in which it seems to do just fine... are we still talking about gamer "needs"?). The PS3 was designed from the get-go to support most if not all of Sony's software divisions. If you think the PS3 was invented around the games your surely fooling yourself.

You think the game designers wanted the Cell chip? Do you think they even had a say?

Sony was bundling this thing with Blu-discs, they even had a buy a PS3 and get 5 of the forkers for free :P

They gave you the option to install another OS!!!! Does that benefit gamers? Hell no! It benefits these people out there stringing 8 of them together and researching information that might never be useful for us :P

The PS3 comes with the ability to connect to printers...

They included an internet browser.

This patch just released more DivX support.

Life with playstation....

PSN video download store.

New updated Picture gallery.

I'm stopping here because the list just goes on and on.

Sony as a company is far more than just games, and the PS3 is attempting to unify that experience for Sony. The biggest things "hurting" it's sales right now is NOT the lack of games (for some reason people like to pretend this is the issue -_-;), It's the @#@#$@# price. And another huge hindrance on why people won't see it's value for dollar (which is amazingly high in my opinion), is because the name "Playstation" in itself is a direct correlation to video games. I read an article quite some time ago, in where Sony says it's hard to get they're product across to people because they only see it as "oh that thing that plays games!", well yes... that and a @#$^!@#$!@$ more. But only Sony's gonna be able to do something about that one, (did you hear the rumors that they're next box might not be labeled "playstation"?)

I'd imagine Sony's goal is to make they're unit the one and pretty much only focus you'd need in your living room, creating that hardware commodity. One box made by them, to play they're games, play they're music, play they're movies, all while giving you access to they're online store in which to buy more stuff :P Which in itself would give you a reason that Microsoft want's to stop them dead in they're tracks. Sony is they're biggest competitor to an all out living room domination.

So if you have a problem with the fact that the company didn't focus on your needs specifically, go bitch them out on they're blog or in they're forums (y'know, the ones they actually check). You don't have to feed VGChartz your negativity, believe me, there's more than enough of that as is.

ChronotriggerJM said:
nightsurge said:

See, again, your putting words into Sony's mouth >_> The PS3 is probably they're most ambitious project to date, and "One of" it's primary functions was to play games (in which it seems to do just fine... are we still talking about gamer "needs"?). The PS3 was designed from the get-go to support most if not all of Sony's software divisions. If you think the PS3 was invented around the games your surely fooling yourself.

You think the game designers wanted the Cell chip? Do you think they even had a say?

Sony was bundling this thing with Blu-discs, they even had a buy a PS3 and get 5 of the forkers for free :P

They gave you the option to install another OS!!!! Does that benefit gamers? Hell no! It benefits these people out there stringing 8 of them together and researching information that might never be useful for us :P

The PS3 comes with the ability to connect to printers...

They included an internet browser.

This patch just released more DivX support.

Life with playstation....

PSN video download store.

New updated Picture gallery.

I'm stopping here because the list just goes on and on.

Sony as a company is far more than just games, and the PS3 is attempting to unify that experience for Sony. The biggest things "hurting" it's sales right now is NOT the lack of games (for some reason people like to pretend this is the issue -_-;), It's the @#@#$@# price. And another huge hindrance on why people won't see it's value for dollar (which is amazingly high in my opinion), is because the name "Playstation" in itself is a direct correlation to video games. I read an article quite some time ago, in where Sony says it's hard to get they're product across to people because they only see it as "oh that thing that plays games!", well yes... that and a @#$^!@#$!@$ more. But only Sony's gonna be able to do something about that one, (did you hear the rumors that they're next box might not be labeled "playstation"?)

I'd imagine Sony's goal is to make they're unit the one and pretty much only focus you'd need in your living room, creating that hardware commodity. One box made by them, to play they're games, play they're music, play they're movies, all while giving you access to they're online store in which to buy more stuff :P Which in itself would give you a reason that Microsoft want's to stop them dead in they're tracks. Sony is they're biggest competitor to an all out living room domination.

So if you have a problem with the fact that the company didn't focus on your needs specifically, go bitch them out on they're blog or in they're forums (y'know, the ones they actually check). You don't have to feed VGChartz your negativity, believe me, there's more than enough of that as is.

Yeah, I watch alot of films in HD, listen to alot of music and watch HD game trailers I download from places like gamersyde which is why I bought the Ps3. If I had wanted a purely gaming console I would have bought a 360, but I instead picked the machine that is now set up on a WLAN so I can stream all my videos, musics and pictures straight from my laptop to my big HD tv with no wires :D

Next on the list is Linux but I'll probably not get that until it can access the RSX which probably means never : (

Not that many people are like us, not many want the full experience from an entertainment system, there are probably alot of people out there who have never listened to what 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound is like so you can't really argue with them for not buying these machines for the right reasons. The market is like democracy, and the casual mainstream audience have voted for the Wii regardless of how useless you or I think it is (there's one in my house so I know how useless it is)

@Theo, oh I agree completely :P Sony knows they're not getting this message through, and that's why they're promoting firmware updates like this and such. This was only they're start at that leap I would presume. They're laying the groundwork for the major prototype so to say. They just need to get past that video game only stigma. Us gamers would know that even if it wasn't labeled playstation, it would still have Sony's first party games.

They need to make the image more accessible for all audiences. As it stands now, it will be heavily regarded as a game console :P They do have plenty of commercials advertising it's capabilities though, and the fact that blu-ray disc's specifically advertise the fact that it plays on the PS3 should help "somewhat". For now though, I will play it all on the game console stigma. If they're next box really isn't branded "playstation" it wouldn't surprise me :P