By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Upcoming PS3 Firmware (v2.60) Update

It focuses a lot on the pictures

"The PS3 firmware update (v2.60) is designed primarily to enhance the system’s media capabilities. The key feature is a new Photo Gallery application, which delivers a suite of tools for sorting through and displaying your digital photo collection. Digital pictures can be organized in groups according to various criteria, including the camera used to take the photos, the event date and time, colors in the photos, as well as the number, ages, or facial expressions of the people pictured. You can also create slideshows set to music and build photo playlists with an easy-to-use interface. The Photo Gallery application will need to be installed separately from the XMB after you update your PS3’s firmware. To install the Photo Gallery application, go to the Photo section on the XMB, select Photo Gallery and press the X button.

The 2.60 update also includes:

• Guest access to PlayStation Store – This enables non-PlayStation Network members to browse through the storefront to check out the latest games, demos, videos, etc.
  • DivX 3.11 support – Videos in this format can now be played on PS3."

Also there's a video of this here

Edit: Also some more info from the update:

* Safe Mode
* Blu-Ray Disc Theme Support
* HDD Data can be accessed and deleted in-game
* 3-D Secure Support
* Improved System Stability

Around the Network

i thought they were finally going to speed up the in game xmb in their new update. aw well.

Speeding up the in game XMB should be the next step, the PS3 really needs more gaming features rather than media.

swearitsoul said:
Speeding up the in game XMB should be the next step, the PS3 really needs more gaming features rather than media.

the in game xmb is very slow. also when you want to look at someone's profile, it takes so long you just say forget it.

Absolutely pathetic update. Whatsmore, the shitty update system means that it has to redownload the entire firmware version again.

Around the Network

yeah just saw it on psfanboy it pretty cool now we can sort out r photos, boy they need to get another guy for the demonstrations i can't stand his voice

Play Me

I'm kinda getting sick and tired of these BS updates, I want some gaming updates. Like in-game or cross-game chat. Or how about the ability to surf the internet in chat rooms. Or maybe force the in game music ability on developers. These types of updates are a waste of time

I wish there was a firmware upgrade to allow for memory expansion :)

PS3 with 1gb of memory... what a dream

PSN ID: TheSimkin

GamerTag: TheSimkin

WII friend Code: 0002 7972 4522 2681

Im not so pissed off with these updates.....as long as they keep coming. Im sure the big updates will come but I like the way PSN feels like its constantly evolving, very very slowly but surely.

deathgod33 said:
i thought they were finally going to speed up the in game xmb in their new update. aw well.

what are you talking about ingame xmb its generally quite fast >_o, full xmb with the same speed though.

profile take a while but it syncs your trophies with his, to compare and download his recent trophies info.