By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Upcoming PS3 Firmware (v2.60) Update

ChronotriggerJM said:
nightsurge said:

It is talk like yours like is killing Sony this generation.  You say they are trying to make a huge multi-media hub, but that is exactly what is killing them in sales.  They are advertising everything but the games.  The PS3 is first and foremost a Gaming Console, it was designed as such, and any other features are additions.  The amount of people who bought it for games greatly outnumbers those who solely bought it as a blu-ray player or something else.  If they added nothing I'd still be complaining about the lack there of.  I never said it made it worse, just that they need to focus their attention on more gaming related features.  This update is so minimal, they should have just kept these updates for a different date and time when they had more to update all at once.

I pity you and your over justification of things that every "gamer" on the PS3 knows they need.

See, again, your putting words into Sony's mouth >_> The PS3 is probably they're most ambitious project to date, and "One of" it's primary functions was to play games (in which it seems to do just fine... are we still talking about gamer "needs"?). The PS3 was designed from the get-go to support most if not all of Sony's software divisions. If you think the PS3 was invented around the games your surely fooling yourself.

You think the game designers wanted the Cell chip? Do you think they even had a say?

Sony was bundling this thing with Blu-discs, they even had a buy a PS3 and get 5 of the forkers for free :P

They gave you the option to install another OS!!!! Does that benefit gamers? Hell no! It benefits these people out there stringing 8 of them together and researching information that might never be useful for us :P

The PS3 comes with the ability to connect to printers...

They included an internet browser.

This patch just released more DivX support.

Life with playstation....

PSN video download store.

New updated Picture gallery.

I'm stopping here because the list just goes on and on.

Sony as a company is far more than just games, and the PS3 is attempting to unify that experience for Sony. The biggest things "hurting" it's sales right now is NOT the lack of games (for some reason people like to pretend this is the issue -_-;), It's the @#@#$@# price. And another huge hindrance on why people won't see it's value for dollar (which is amazingly high in my opinion), is because the name "Playstation" in itself is a direct correlation to video games. I read an article quite some time ago, in where Sony says it's hard to get they're product across to people because they only see it as "oh that thing that plays games!", well yes... that and a @#$^!@#$!@$ more. But only Sony's gonna be able to do something about that one, (did you hear the rumors that they're next box might not be labeled "playstation"?)

I'd imagine Sony's goal is to make they're unit the one and pretty much only focus you'd need in your living room, creating that hardware commodity. One box made by them, to play they're games, play they're music, play they're movies, all while giving you access to they're online store in which to buy more stuff :P Which in itself would give you a reason that Microsoft want's to stop them dead in they're tracks. Sony is they're biggest competitor to an all out living room domination.

So if you have a problem with the fact that the company didn't focus on your needs specifically, go bitch them out on they're blog or in they're forums (y'know, the ones they actually check). You don't have to feed VGChartz your negativity, believe me, there's more than enough of that as is.

The problem is, though, that there are already other alternatives to do all those things and they do them better/cheaper.  The PS3 is first and foremost a games console.  If you think otherwise, you need to take off those rose tinted glasses.

You will never see the points that myself and others are making because you are part of the tiny percentage that actually uses their PS3 for a majority of other things besides playing games.

Around the Network

nightsurge: I love updates like these. more divx support is great because I've been finding some files won't play lately. I use my PS3 for music, photos, and videos so I get the most out of it. I love the last update, or perhaps a few updates ago, when the continuous video playback was added. That was much appreciated.

What updates do you need to make playing a game better? I know the XMB is slower but I don't really find it to be a problem. I bet most people don't even have a keyboard set up like I do to send people messages. That speeds up conversation on XMB.

After trying out the new pics app. It is pretty freaking cool!

And the updated codecs is a great bonus!

Thanks Sony

PSN ID: TheSimkin

GamerTag: TheSimkin

WII friend Code: 0002 7972 4522 2681