By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hirai: Xbox "lacks longevity" and Wii doesn't count so PS3 will win.

bdbdbd said:
@Seancsm: You know, i'm not quite sure do you even understand what a party game is. Eyetoy is far away from party game. Basically it offers you only a single player gameplay. Besides, Eyetoy is a copy of Dreameye.
Buzz is a party game, without a doubt, but saying that "PS2 invented party games" just isn't true.
Party games have existed decades, although i'd remember that after Mario Party came out on N64, the type of games started to be called more widely as party games

Also, saying that PS2 had and PS3 has plenty of party type games is just BS. It was easier to find a good party type game for GC, that it was to PS2.
Both, PS2 and PS3 had their focus on single player, while Wii is pushing multiplayer, which actually was one of the biggest reasons for the success of NES and it also contributes a lot for Wiis success. And there are number of reasons why the multiplayer is so important.

@Starcraft: Just asking. I found surprising one time that someone had posted (bad) finnish to my wall, but still well enough to form a sentence.

I just wanted to add two cents here. Nintendo has always been party/multiplayer focused. It's why their NGC and N64 had 4 controller ports while all the rest had 2 and made four players an after tought. Mario Kart SNES can be considered one f the earliest party games. So unless the PS2 is alot older than I tought, then seancsm claim is completely in accurate. 

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

Around the Network

@Aavidbacon: Oh, sorry, i was meaning Wii sells 200M, from which about a half is existing audience and half is new audience. Which would leave more than 80M market for 360 and PS3 combined.

@Grampy: Yes, local multiplayer was what i meant too.
The multiplayer is very important for software sales, since if a console is bought to a house, the single player games tend to be played only by who bought the console, when multiplayer potentially reach everyone in the household. Once another family member is "into games", he/she might buy some fun games for him/herself. As for this new audience (or secondary gamers, as Nintendo has said), WiiWare may be very interesting to get familiar with. And this "secondary gamer" audience is one of the audiences Nintendo is after too, according to Iwata.

Give it your little finger... Quite a devilish masterplan.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

@senseinobaka: Party games existed before SNES, and i'm not quite sure whether Super Mario Kart qualifies as party game. Sure the multiplayer was fun (only two players, btw), but the game was just about as much focused on the time trials.
NES had NES Satellite and Super NES the Multitap peripheral as the more than two players peripheral. And didn't TG16 have 5 ports, or was it just available with peripheral.
Anyway, multiplayer doesn't equal party game.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

senseinobaka said:
bdbdbd said:
@Seancsm: You know, i'm not quite sure do you even understand what a party game is. Eyetoy is far away from party game. Basically it offers you only a single player gameplay. Besides, Eyetoy is a copy of Dreameye.
Buzz is a party game, without a doubt, but saying that "PS2 invented party games" just isn't true.
Party games have existed decades, although i'd remember that after Mario Party came out on N64, the type of games started to be called more widely as party games

Also, saying that PS2 had and PS3 has plenty of party type games is just BS. It was easier to find a good party type game for GC, that it was to PS2.
Both, PS2 and PS3 had their focus on single player, while Wii is pushing multiplayer, which actually was one of the biggest reasons for the success of NES and it also contributes a lot for Wiis success. And there are number of reasons why the multiplayer is so important.

@Starcraft: Just asking. I found surprising one time that someone had posted (bad) finnish to my wall, but still well enough to form a sentence.

I just wanted to add two cents here. Nintendo has always been party/multiplayer focused. It's why their NGC and N64 had 4 controller ports while all the rest had 2 and made four players an after tought. Mario Kart SNES can be considered one f the earliest party games. So unless the PS2 is alot older than I tought, then seancsm claim is completely in accurate. 

The original Xbox and the DreamCast both have 4 controller ports if I am not mistaken. ;)

Tempus fugit Nintendo manet.

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Member - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Regular - Pass 2k
Level 4 - Addicted - Pass 5k
Level 5 - Obsessed - Pass 10k
Level 6 - Old Guard - Pass 20k
Level 7 - Legend - Pass 50k
Level 8 - Demi-God - Pass 100k
Level 9 - God - Pass 250k
Level 10 - Zeus - Pass 500k

New Table:

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Rookie - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Padawan - Pass 10k
Level 4 - Sea Dog - Pass 25k
Level 5 - Captain - Pass 50k
Level 6 - Agent - Pass 100k
Level 7 - Elite - Pass 175k
Level 8 - Hero - Pass 250k
Level 9 - Legend - Pass 500k
Level 10 - Titan - Pass 1 Million

oliist said:
senseinobaka said:
bdbdbd said:

The original Xbox and the DreamCast both have 4 controller ports if I am not mistaken. ;)

Off course, but the Nintendo 64 came a gen before those two, so yeah, probably Nintendo is one of the first devs to push the local multiplayer to the next level... (Just think about MK:64, Mario Party, Mario Tenis, Dddy Kong Racing, Golden Eye, Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong 64, etc, all support 4 players in some way)

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network

lol @ "wii doesn't count." I have never seen such a drawn out battle with both sides aiming at 2nd place. It's sorta like they've given up on trying to catch the Wii's sales.

Orca_Azure said:
lol @ "wii doesn't count." I have never seen such a drawn out battle with both sides aiming at 2nd place. It's sorta like they've given up on trying to catch the Wii's sales.

They have

emilie autumn said:
why do top executive from sony and microsoft exclude nintendo as if the wii is not an actual console?

its not to them.

Its like saying a camery ot accord competes with the F150

sure they get your ass from a to b but they dont compete for ownership, you own both.

Bobbuffalo said:

Haha.. ah that site is back updating again eh?