By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Hirai: Xbox "lacks longevity" and Wii doesn't count so PS3 will win.

@OP:
Ipse dixit.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

who cares what they say,,,it will not change anything,,,usually the people in the last place are loudest ;)(except for aaron greenberg) ,,,now Kaz get back to making more awesome first party titles using KZ2 engine.

kthnxbi

KAZ, you've been outsold for the second year in a row, and your competition is holding strong, what are you going to do...

Kaz: I will talk about how we will last longer, and eventhough we are selling at a loss, we will rise up!

...Is Kaz smoking crack?

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

He must be on vacation in bizarro land where numbers are reversed.

SpartanFX said:
,,,now Kaz get back to making more awesome first party titles using KZ2 engine.

kthnxbi

Carerful. Everything I know points to severe restrictions in the engine reuseability on the PS-3. Otherwise there wouldn't have been so many 3rd party developers that would have dropped exclussives for the PS-3. Everybody knew that the PS-3 can profit from Low Level Programming. If you can program a generic game engine for the PS-3 that uses the capabilities of the plattform, this engine would be a money printing machine. But there is no direct path to the GPU. There is always interaction with other parts of the system which can lead to missed timing constraints. While you have complete control on the SPE you have very limited control for the results of your calculation.

Around the Network
SpartanFX said:
who cares what they say,,,it will not change anything,,,usually the people in the last place are loudest ;)(except for aaron greenberg) ,,,now Kaz get back to making more awesome first party titles using KZ2 engine.

kthnxbi

I doubt this will be possible, the way they developed the engine (avoiding the use of opengl) creates a big obstacle to other people outside the dev team to use the engine...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

"If we pretend that the competition doesn't exist then we therefore become the leader."

That's basically what I heard. Makes sense....

Kingdom Hearts 3 Bet: If Kingdom Hearts 3 becomes a multiplaform title/is not Wii exclusive then I will be banished from this land for 1 week and sing my praises to those who have proved themselves to be more intelligent than I.http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/RDBRaptor/rdbraptor_sig16.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">
My Anime List

I come here to mantain a position I already defended that the wii doesn´t compete with the PS360, just like Hirai said.

Apart from everything people defending that position already posted, my point is about price. Everyone saw what happened when x360 drop price just before september, or when Ps3 droped price in 2007. Both consoles exploded in sales. Ps3 managed to sell almost 50 % more than last year and so did x360. But the interesting thing is that when price droped, the other console droped in sales, or didn´t rise as expected, like PS3 this xmas.

At the same time, wii broke records in sales everywere, without a price cut. Why? Because it wasn´t affected by the price cuts. The demand for PS360 isn´t affected by the demand of the wii and vice versa.

The wii could drop the Price to $149 tomorrow and still wouldn´t affect the HD sales, only the wii sales. The same thing works for a price rise on Wii, wich I could bet wouldn´t even affect wii sales by much(demand is too high).

My point is, when price changes of one product don´t affect other product demand, it means they are not competing in the same market. If you have three types of car in one Market and a cut price in car A affects only the sales of A and B, but not C, it means C is another classe of car and is not competing for the same public. This is clearly the case. But I think we have to wait for wii price cut for this "theory" to be proved.

VASCO DA GAMA CAMPEÃO DA COPA DO BRASIL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS VASCÃO

VICE É O CARALH*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

aavidbacon said:
I come here to mantain a position I already defended that the wii doesn´t compete with the PS360, just like Hirai said.

Apart from everything people defending that position already posted, my point is about price. Everyone saw what happened when x360 drop price just before september, or when Ps3 droped price in 2007. Both consoles exploded in sales. Ps3 managed to sell almost 50 % more than last year and so did x360. But the interesting thing is that when price droped, the other console droped in sales, or didn´t rise as expected, like PS3 this xmas.

At the same time, wii broke records in sales everywere, without a price cut. Why? Because it wasn´t affected by the price cuts. The demand for PS360 isn´t affected by the demand of the wii and vice versa.

The wii could drop the Price to $149 tomorrow and still wouldn´t affect the HD sales, only the wii sales. The same thing works for a price rise on Wii, wich I could bet wouldn´t even affect wii sales by much(demand is too high).

My point is, when price changes of one product don´t affect other product demand, it means they are not competing in the same market. If you have three types of car in one Market and a cut price in car A affects only the sales of A and B, but not C, it means C is another classe of car and is not competing for the same public. This is clearly the case. But I think we have to wait for wii price cut for this "theory" to be proved.

How do you know that Wii demand hasn't been impacted by the price reductions of the other systems? Up until a couple of months ago the Wii was selling at a rate near to or higher than Nintendo could supply systems ... On top of that, in previous generations price reductions of systems rarely had much of an impact on the market leading console because people tend to fixate on one product that they want and it doesn't matter what another system offers or costs they aren't interested.

I honestly couldn't be bothered to read this thread in its entirety. I know just about everything that is going to be said, and most of it will be lowbrow humor. I agree that Sony isn't directly going after the same market that Nintendo is going after, but yes there is some overlap. In other words there will be some core gamers that will buy and have bought into the casual gaming experience.

However this we will ride our horse into the ground, and that is how we will be successful nonsense is just that. It is also disingenuous towards intelligent consumers. Sony says it cannot lose, because it will just churn out machines till they win even if its at the tail end of the next generation. That is like horse farms saying they beat the Model T. After all horses are still made, and the Model T is not so eventually they won the war. Well that sure as hell doesn't change the fact that automobiles took horses off the road.