By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Dosent make 3rd parties money?

psrock said:

where on this site can i find that Zack and Wiki made 20 million dollars for its publishers.  LINK?

Why is it so hard for wii fans to admit a game failed ?

Zak and Wiki failed? That's a bummer.

Hey psrock, can you please tell Capcom that it was a disappointment? Because halfway through last year they went and cited it as a success, so they're obviously not privy to this secret, and I don't feel like being the one to break their hearts.

Edit: And I see Boom Blox isn't doing so well after all, contrary to what EA's president said in interviews. Let them know too, so they can cancel the sequel before they make a big mistake.

I'll agree with your assertion that many Wii titles undersell, and that some folks on this site can't admit to that. But you'll need to pick better examples.

At least you didnt' say No More Heroes, though.

Around the Network
angrypoolman said:
psrock said:
thekitchensink said:
psrock said:
HappySqurriel said:
Aj_habfan said:
Derixs said:
Here is another thing to think about. If Mario and sonic sold 6.69 million coppies at 49.99 each then thet made just shy of 335million dollars off that one game.

25. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega) 6.69m (335 Million Dollars)

Crazy...

It doesn't work that way.

Lots of 3rd party games do make money, but really, Nintendo fans will never admit that any games failed.

A game can sell like .05m copies, and they will say, "Well, we don't have updated Europe data, which was probably more then America, and the budget was really low, so they probably made some money." Seriously, you will find stuff like that on every poorly sold Wii game. They can not accept a failure.

People will admit that games failed, but most people's claims of games failing are pretty moronic ...

Consider that people were calling Zack and Wiki (500,000+ sales) and Boom Blox (700,000+ sales) failures when these games obviously cost less than the $10 to $20 Million in revenue they generated for their publishers.

Where are you pulling these numbers from.

The games failed, admit it. Btw HAZE is on its way to a million, still a failure.

Assuming a game that took more than a year to sell 500k is making 20 million is crazy. Plus, i bet you 80% of the sale happened when the game was dirt cheap. Less revenue, right.

You do know what site you're on right?

And yeah, Haze failed--considering its' much higher budget than those two other games.  Seen its' developer's condition lately?  They're selling off all their assets.

where on this site can i find that Zack and Wiki made 20 million dollars for its publishers.  LINK?

lol. you didnt even address anything he said.

funny, right. He went straight to attacking Haze, which i could care less about.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Of course it does. The only problem confronting Wii development is the fact that developers don't know what will succeed.

Pretty much any quality project will make a profit, but it's easier to know what will really sell, 2-4 million kinda sell, on PS360. Aside from the fact that Western development relies largely on a powerful platform and upon online play, the two things Wii doesn't do well.

The myth about sales has been busted, but it doesn't solve all problems

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

psrock said:
angrypoolman said:
psrock said:
thekitchensink said:
psrock said:
HappySqurriel said:
Aj_habfan said:
Derixs said:
Here is another thing to think about. If Mario and sonic sold 6.69 million coppies at 49.99 each then thet made just shy of 335million dollars off that one game.

Crazy...

Lots of 3rd party games do make money, but really, Nintendo fans will never admit that any games failed.

A game can sell like .05m copies, and they will say, "Well, we don't have updated Europe data, which was probably more then America, and the budget was really low, so they probably made some money." Seriously, you will find stuff like that on every poorly sold Wii game. They can not accept a failure.

People will admit that games failed, but most people's claims of games failing are pretty moronic ...

Consider that people were calling Zack and Wiki (500,000+ sales) and Boom Blox (700,000+ sales) failures when these games obviously cost less than the $10 to $20 Million in revenue they generated for their publishers.

The games failed, admit it. Btw HAZE is on its way to a million, still a failure.

Assuming a game that took more than a year to sell 500k is making 20 million is crazy. Plus, i bet you 80% of the sale happened when the game was dirt cheap. Less revenue, right.

And yeah, Haze failed--considering its' much higher budget than those two other games.  Seen its' developer's condition lately?  They're selling off all their assets.

funny, right. He went straight to attacking Haze, which i could care less about.

sorry. =[ i was just anxiously awaiting your rebuttal, and you didn't even adress any of the points he had made.

psrock said:
angrypoolman said:
psrock said:
thekitchensink said:
psrock said:
HappySqurriel said:
Aj_habfan said:
Derixs said:

Crazy...

Wanna point me to where I attacked anything?

I was agreeing with you about Haze--you yourself said that it was a failure, and I was actually backing you up.

The first line of my post was just a bit of humour, but I see you couldn't understand that.

Try again, sir

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network
NJ5 said:

@Groucho: So I have to provide data about every single title in order to conclude what the average is?

I think that quote from Yamauchi proves that added graphical detail comes at significant cost. PS3/360 games have significantly more graphical detail than Wii games, therefore they are more expensive.

Do you see a flaw in this thinking?

PS: On another note, do explain how so many developers are seeing record revenues with the same or lower profits (not to say losses).

Yep.  Its from just one guy, and in my own experience, it is very far from typical.  Art doesn't take longer to make -- it takes a long time to REmake, as the engine changes.  If GT5 has been re-engineered several times over, said artist would need to rework a model again and again, such that the shaders fit the new rendering pipeline, the textures work well as new features are added to the engine, the verts may need to be optimized to fit after the engine proves that the first model performs poorly according to a fresh standard, the car may need to be reduced due to memory issues the game doesn't encounter from the beginning, etc.

The same engineering problems can and will occur with a Wii dev team.  GT5 may have completely re-organized their dev team, and Sony may be paying them to optimize the crap out of GT5, relative to previous GTs.  Art teams are also usually cheaper, compared to engineering teams.  The supposed cost savings between Wii and PS360 development just aren't there in quantity, even if this comment weren't grossly inflated, which, honestly, I believe it is.

And yes, to have a realistic average, you need a decent-sized sample, not just a quip or two.  You don't have to do the work yourself, necessarily... point us to a NPD report... or something.  Anything.

noname2200 said:
psrock said:

Zak and Wiki failed? That's a bummer.

Hey psrock, can you please tell Capcom that it was a disappointment? Because halfway through last year they went and cited it as a success, so they're obviously not privy to this secret, and I don't feel like being the one to break their hearts.

Edit: And I see Boom Blox isn't doing so well after all, contrary to what EA's president said in interviews. Let them know too, so they can cancel the sequel before they make a big mistake.

I'll agree with your assertion that many Wii titles undersell, and that some folks on this site can't admit to that. But you'll need to pick better examples.

At least you didnt' say No More Heroes, though.

i dont really care, but it bugs me that each time a game fail to sell, you guys bring up the profit excuse. sadly, this is a sales site and Haze probably as huge a failure as it is still sold more or in the same ball park than zak and wiki. They both failed, one failed harder.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

I was only making this post to show that 3rd party Wii games do sell, and some of them we think are not that great do sell rather well.

Albion - Its Fun as Ballz !!!!!

Groucho said:
NJ5 said:

@Groucho: So I have to provide data about every single title in order to conclude what the average is?

I think that quote from Yamauchi proves that added graphical detail comes at significant cost. PS3/360 games have significantly more graphical detail than Wii games, therefore they are more expensive.

Do you see a flaw in this thinking?

PS: On another note, do explain how so many developers are seeing record revenues with the same or lower profits (not to say losses).

Yep.  Its from just one guy, and in my own experience, it is very far from typical.  Art doesn't take longer to make -- it takes a long time to REmake, as the engine changes.  If GT5 has been re-engineered several times over, said artist would need to rework a model again and again, such that the shaders fit the new rendering pipeline, the textures work well as new features are added to the engine, the verts may need to be optimized to fit after the engine proves that the first model performs poorly according to a fresh standard, the car may need to be reduced due to memory issues the game doesn't encounter from the beginning, etc.

The same engineering problems can and will occur with a Wii dev team.  GT5 may have completely re-organized their dev team, and Sony may be paying them to optimize the crap out of GT5, relative to previous GTs.  Art teams are also usually cheaper, compared to engineering teams.  The supposed cost savings between Wii and PS360 development just aren't there in quantity, even if this comment weren't grossly inflated, which, honestly, I believe it is.

I will have to ask for a link supporting your claims about GT5, the same way you asked for them.

I am also still wondering why PS3 and 360 games are more expensive than last-gen and Wii games, and why publishers are seeing higher revenues and lower profits (meaning higher expenses).

But hey, as if all the stuff I said is not enough, let's see a few more links saying the same thing:

Capcom - http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3163572

THQ - http://www.gamespot.com/wii/driving/cars/news.html?sid=6149154

I'm tired of googling for links. Really, I think the burden of proof is on you now.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

I think it's important to note that most of those games would not have sold anywhere those numbers on PS360, which is why the Wii is and will continue to be important to game developers.

Shure, the "hardcore" buy a lot of games but they are also extremely polarized. Only a select few types of games have a chance at making money on the HD consoles.