By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 no harder to develop for than 360- Ubisoft!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=27782

The team responsible for one of Ubisoft's most acclaimed videogames – Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter – has told GamesIndustry.biz that developing titles for the PlayStation 3 is no harder than working on Microsoft's Xbox 360.

Despite analyst reports and internet chatter, the BAFTA-award winning team says it's just a case of developers getting up to speed with the new hardware, as Sony's console is earlier in it's lifecycle than Microsoft's Xbox 360.

"It's wrong to say it's harder to code on the PlayStation 3, it's just something that needs to be learnt," said Yann Le Tensorer, co-founder of Ubisoft's Tiwak studio and co-creator of the Yeti engine powering GRAW and the upcoming Beowulf game.

"It's not harder to develop on the PS3 than it is on the 360, it's just a different console. Developers might says it's harder because it just takes time to understand the technology, we're still early in the lifecycle."

As more studios learn the intricacies of developing for the PS3, so the entire development community will benefit says Le Tensorer. "We need all developers to learn from the console, it was the same with the PlayStation 2. Our team are more than happy with the PlayStation 3."

"For us it's been a learning curve and technology changes very quickly. We're learning step-by-step to use the PS3 to its fullest capacity," he said.

"If you take the PS2 for example, when God of War come out people saw it was tremendous. But it wasn't until the end of the PS2 cycle that we've seen the machine being pushed to its fullest," added Lacey.

See that bolded part? That explains everything about the 'difficulty' of making PS3 games.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

Ubisoft:

Sony give em a spanking or what.

I think I Think my respect for Ubi just went up i am not sure though might be a false alarm.

Great news but i think everyone knew it was the learning curve that was needed anyway just not many devs could be bothered doing the learning bit.

End of 2014 Hardware Predictions (03/03/14)

PlayStation 4: 12-15million

Xbox One: 7-10 million

Wii U: 8-9 million (Changed 01/04/2014 from 7-9 --> 8-9 million)

mitsuhide said:
I think I Think my respect for Ubi just went up i am not sure though might be a false alarm.

Great news but i think everyone knew it was the learning curve that was needed anyway just not many devs could be bothered doing the learning bit.
 Same, just takes time to learn

Never thought it was harder to do, i only thought it was harder cause they werent as used to the tech as with the xbox.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network

Old news I read it an hour ago in ps blog. Good find though, ubisoft didnt say it though there graw development team said it. Not the same people working on splinter cell for the x360. Same with the guy from scee saying ps2 is outselling wii..

mM
leo-j said:
Old news I read it an hour ago in ps blog. Good find though, ubisoft didnt say it though there graw development team said it. Not the same people working on splinter cell for the x360. Same with the guy from scee saying ps2 is outselling wii..

Holy crap! An hour ago?!? THAT MEANS IT'S ANCIENT!!

/sarcasm

Not everyone visits the ps blog, so it's news to a lot of people. Maybe you should post some news articles, then you won't have to worry about it being old

man ubisfot are a sine wave. Firs tthey said the AI sucks on PS3 now they say its easy to develope for. Sure they two different teams. But it says something how the company is run.

mitsuhide said:
I Think my respect for Ubi just went up

Then I guess they can say mission accomplished. They probably wanted to use this statement to get back on the good side of Sony fans.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Goddbless said:
mitsuhide said:
I Think my respect for Ubi just went up

Then I guess they can say mission accomplished. They probably wanted to use this statement to get back on the good side of Sony fans.

yep most likely

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.