By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Yahoo - HOTTEST Games of 09!

No offense to Fallout 3, Wii Fit or LittleBigPlanet, but you're SO last year. Gamers are always looking for the Next Big Thing, and with loads of heavy hitters lined up for 2009, it's time to stop dwelling in the past and start planning for the future. Here are a dozen games you won't want to miss in the coming months.

Wii Sports Resort (Wii)

The game that turned the Wii into a household necessity finally gets its long-awaited sequel next Spring. And while it will retain all the intuitive ease of the breakthrough original, Wii Sports: Resort will take the system to the next level by shipping with the Wii MotionPlus, a small device that snaps on to your Wii Remote for much improved accuracy.

Anticipated Release: 2009

Bioshock 2 (Xbox 360, Playstation 3, PC)

Revisit Rapture in this anticipated prequel. Little is known about the plot, though we're pretty sure it has to do with Andrew Ryan, Big Daddies, Little Sisters, and lots and lots of water. Expect it sometime during the holiday season, and if it's half as good as the original, expect it to be unmissable.

Anticipated Release: Q3 2009

The Sims 3 (PC)

Life got you down? Then live another one in The Sims 3, the next version of EA's chart-topping simulation series. Loads of new features, careers and customization options will give amateur designers plenty to tinker with, while a new seamless world will turn your digital home into an open house. Get ready to make a bid when it hits the market in February.

Anticipated Release: Feb 20, 2009

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Consoles, PC)

The sixth game in the Call of Duty series is actually the official follow-up to 2007's Game of the Year nominee, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. You know, the one you couldn't stop playing? And with the same ace developer on board, chances are you won't be able to stop playing this one, either.

Resident Evil 5 (Xbox 360, PS3)

The survival-horror standard takes a trip to a chaotic African nation in this highly-anticipated thriller. The dreaded T-virus is once again doing its thing, and it's up to original Resident Evil protagonist Chris Redfield to fight the horde and get to the bottom of the infection. But thanks to fantastic co-operative gameplay options, he (and you) won't have to go it alone. Now that's a brainy decision.

Anticipated Release: Mar 13, 2009

________________________________-

StarCraft 2 (PC, Mac)

Eleven years after it changed the face of competitive strategy gaming, the great StarCraft makes its long-awaited return to Earth in 2009. Developed as an epic trilogy, it features three playable factions and looks to continue the franchise's tradition of brilliant design and uncanny balance. That's more than enough to keep it atop gamer wish lists until it blasts off later this year.

God of War 3 (Playstation 3)

They might be trailing the untouchable Nintendo in the console war, but if anyone can take down a god, it's Sony's action star, Kratos. The angry hero continues to seek vengeance on those who have wronged him in his big, bold Playstation 3 debut. Will it help put Sony back on top?

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars (DS)

World collide when Rockstar's unflinching GTA hits Nintendo's unstoppable handheld. Due in March of 2009, Chinatown Wars is set in the same Liberty City as GTA IV and looks to be just as intense as other games in the franchise, sporting cel-shaded graphics, recruitable gang members, and all kinds of brutal action.

Anticipated Release: Mar 17, 2009

Halo Wars (Xbox 360)

You got your strategy in my Halo! And we hope it tastes delicious. This March release mash-up comes courtesy of Ensemble Studios, the folks behind the great Age of Empires games. But will Halo's first-person fans dig the deep strategy gameplay? Only time -- and a few run-ins with a Covenant dropship -- will tell.

Anticipated Release: Mar 3, 2009

Puzzle Quest: Galactrix (PC, Xbox Live Arcade, DS)

The minds behind the sleeper hit Puzzle Quest are back in '09, taking their addictive role-playing/puzzle hybrid to the stars in an intergalactic space adventure. And while this time we're better prepared for the franchise's unique take on match-three puzzle gameplay, new tweaks like a hexagonal puzzle board and upgradeable spaceships will once again turn us into starry-eyed fanboys.

Anticipated Release: Q1 2009

Wolfenstein (Xbox 360, Playstation 3, PC)

Who wants to shoot some Nazis? Get in line, because old-school hero B.J. Blazkowicz gets first dibs in the latest version of the famous first-person shooter series. Travel back to 1943 and help the poor guy stop Heinrich Himmler from crossing into a parallel dimension and amassing a new Nazi war machine. Team-based multiplayer rounds out the experience, which should hit stores sometime in 2009.

Brutal Legend (Xbox 360, Playstation 3)

Looks like our rock 'n roll fantasy will finally come true, as publishing powerhouse EA recently picked up this heavy-metal action romp. And we couldn't be happier. Crafted by legendary designer Tim Schafer (Psychonauts) and starring real-life fake rocker Jack Black as a demon-slaying roadie, it's destined to take us to video game Valhalla when it rocks consoles next Fall.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/hottest-games-of-2009/hottest-games-of-2009/1277182

a very good list imho....but a few games I wouldn't have picked to be int here

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

So...no Killzone 2?

@montana hatchet

yahoo is a site for the masses

some of my friends who have PS3's have never heard of killzone 2

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

AOuch too Killzone 2. Overtaken by the hugely popular Wolfenstein. Wolfenstein deserves it. Go Halo Wars!!!

Puzzlequest?

Fun game, but playin it I felt like I was wasting my life in real time.

Hottest game of 09?  The kids are all talkin about puzzlequest?

no.

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

Around the Network
Pyramid Head said:

Puzzlequest?

Fun game, but playin it I felt like I was wasting my life in real time.

Hottest game of 09?  The kids are all talkin about puzzlequest?

no.

PuzzleQuest is awesome.  Regardless of the fact that I think the AI cheats on many occasions.

That list is missing oh so many of the good games coming out this year...

And no Killzone 2 = epic fail!!

Well they did get Starcraft 2 in there so they got something right

Wolfenstein, finally! It will be great. Return to Castle Wolfenstein was awesome, especially the multiplayer.

Slimebeast said:
Wolfenstein, finally! It will be great. Return to Castle Wolfenstein was awesome, especially the multiplayer.

It was decent.