By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Official Killzone 2 Thread

PDF said:
makingmusic476 said:
The most amazing official thread ever:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14730463&posted=1#post14730463

BruceLeeRoy has trumped even his own MGS4 thread.

Just read the whole history of Killzone. We are kind of playing the bad guys

I don't think that's true.  The Helghast were put in a rough spot, just like Germany was in before Hitler, but that does not excuse the Holocaust.  Visari is the bad guy.

Around the Network
windbane said:
PDF said:
makingmusic476 said:

I don't think that's true.  The Helghast were put in a rough spot, just like Germany was in before Hitler, but that does not excuse the Holocaust.  Visari is the bad guy.

Visari is a crazy evil bastard to be sure, just like Hitler was, but just like in Nazi Germany, you can't blame the people. They had suffered at the hands of the ISA, and they could be easily brainwashed.

Oh, and the ISA were far worse than the Allies could ever be. They invaded Helghan because ship taxes were too high.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

windbane said:
PDF said:
makingmusic476 said:

thank you for giving this discussion a new level of simplicity... but knowing by now that sarcasm isnt your strong point , this is even too simplistic for the games storyline and it damn well is for "real" history

now everyone will want to jump in to give us a piece of their half knowledge of the third reich.. thank you

its strange enough that someone would drag something like this down into a discussion of video games.. but if you have to do it. make it at least appear as if you know what you are talking about

terislb said:
windbane said:
PDF said:
makingmusic476 said:

I don't think that's true. The Helghast were put in a rough spot, just like Germany was in before Hitler, but that does not excuse the Holocaust. Visari is the bad guy.

thank you for giving this discussion a new level of simplicity... but knowing by now that sarcasm isnt your strong point , this is even too simplistic for the games storyline and it damn well is for "real" history

now everyone will want to jump in to give us a piece of their half knowledge of the third reich.. thank you

the comparison is fairly obvious to me.  thanks for your lack of discussion, though.

Kantor said:
windbane said:
PDF said:
makingmusic476 said:

I don't think that's true. The Helghast were put in a rough spot, just like Germany was in before Hitler, but that does not excuse the Holocaust. Visari is the bad guy.

Visari is a crazy evil bastard to be sure, just like Hitler was, but just like in Nazi Germany, you can't blame the people. They had suffered at the hands of the ISA, and they could be easily brainwashed.

Oh, and the ISA were far worse than the Allies could ever be. They invaded Helghan because ship taxes were too high.

If you could quote that invasion of Helghan because of taxes, I'd appreciate it. I can't find that in the neogaf story. I do find these statements that backup my comparison to Hitler, though:

" 2340 - 2357 THE HELGHAST ERA

The tough conditions finally spawn social and economic change. Forced to adapt to a situation so tough that mere humans could never survive it, a
charismatic new leader pronounces the birth of the Helghast people: a people no longer human, with a bold drive and vision to succeed.

2340 - 2347 The Rise of Visari

With the economy in the abyss and Helghan morale below that, a singular and remarkable figure rises to prominence: Scolar Visari I, the eventual
self-proclaimed Autarch of Helghan. Visari's ideology is simple and compelling: the Helghan people had once come here as humans, but they are
humans no longer. They are different, changed. Changed cosmetically in their travels, changed physically by their residence on the alien planet of
Helghan, changed spiritually by the hardships they've endured in every circumstance. The government that has brought them to this end could only
give them structure; it could not give them life, could not give them a reason to go on, and could not fully express the magnitude of the transformation.
The world has changed us, Visari claims, and now it is our turn to change the world.

Visari's oratorical skill and magnetic personality draws many of the disaffected public to his cause. It spreads among them like wildfire and
galvanizes them in a single recognition: that they are one people, one nation, united against all aggressors. More significantly, perhaps,
Visari is the first to give voice to what will later become the keystone of the Helghast agenda: their identity as an entirely new and entirely superior
race – the 'extra-human' race. He goes on to preach the militaristic, absolutist values that will become the trademark of the Helghast. More importantly,
he transforms the value of mask-wearing – once a badge of low station – and makes it integral to the Helghan identity. There is nothing shameful
in its history, Visari tells the people. It is testament to their fortitude to wear the mask. And the Helghan rally around him, rich and poor alike.

2347 The Birth of the Helghast

Visari coins the term Helghast in a public speech. Its purported origin is from the Old English word, gast, meaning spirit, or ghost, connoting great fear.
Visari states that they are no longer what they once were. Where they were once human and spiritless, their generations on Helghan, their sufferings;
these have forged them into a new race, the only truly 'living' race. Whatever the etymology, the name sticks.

Feigning an attempt on his life to garner public support, Visari leads a military coup backed by a popular uprising to assume the title of Autarch. He
seizes unrestricted power from the Helghan Administration and begs the army for 10 years of unchallenged authority to reforge the Helghast
into a true independent power. As part of his plan, Visari begins a major enlargement of the Helghast Military. A secondary aspect of the Helghast
revolution is a cultural evolution, led personally by Visari to change the face of Helghan society. Visari bans the use of written English in 2349, devising
a new Helghast alphabet to be used in its place. Plans for an entirely new Helghast language are never fully implemented due to the logistical difficulties,
but the ideal of this linguistic separation remain dear to Visari. As a final touch, the old Helghan banner is dropped in favor of a simpler, starker and more
dynamic logo. The Helghast Triad becomes the official banner of Helghan: three arrows representing Duty, Obedience and Loyalty signal the new values
that Helghast society is based upon."

Economic troubles, charismatic leader proclaiming himself emperor and from a master race, expanding military in attempt to take over other races, using an old logo and then changing it to fit his purposes, red and black colors everywhere...If that's not obvious to terislb then I guess I won't convince him. I am not saying Killzone is a history of Germany. I am saying Visari is a bad guy.

Visari's plan's include: " Begin charging trade tariffs for passage through Helghast space to Earth again.
Blockade the Earth and strangle the UCN into submission.
Capture the UCN Navy shipyards and orbital defenses.
Leave Earth's population to starve to death. Build an enormous fleet and establish Helghast hegemony over all colonies."

ISA's plans include: Remove the Helghast as a military threat.
Capture Autarch Visari for a public trial.
Establish a more easily controlled regime on Helghan that avoids the oppression that sparked this conflict."

I'd say those are bad guy goals and good guy goals.

Around the Network

so you want a discussion.. well then id like to discuss with you why you see a need to whore out a topic like the holocaust to a discussion about a fps?

terislb said:
so you want a discussion.. well then id like to discuss with you why you see a need to whore out a topic like the holocaust to a discussion about a fps?

What exactly if your problem with the comparison of Hitler to Visari? They both provided hope to their people and then abused their power by trying to spread their "superior race." I've already outlined the similarities.

windbane said:
terislb said:

What exactly if your problem with the comparison of Hitler to Visari?  They both provided hope to their people and then abuse their power by trying to spread their "superior race."  I've already outlined the similarities.

this is all really droll... if you wish to continue this.. we can do so on your or my wallpaper .. but i no longer want to pollute the thread like you did with so many others arguing about something completely different ... as for your question hitler and holocaust are two differnt words...   i have no problem with the comparrision to hitler. .but the baltant way you did it ..there was no need for this holocaust comparisson.. that was unnecesarry .. youd better think twice about the phrasing of your words in the future

edit: it amused me that you would take taht last line for a "threat" that says a lot  about you.. but if you actually thought so you would have undoubtetly have reportet it.. but since you dont.. its all just hot air.. and a testament to the type of people you are used to converse with.. it was merely meant as good advice to actually think before you write in the future...  likewise a good day to you sir

terislb said:
windbane said:
terislb said:

What exactly if your problem with the comparison of Hitler to Visari? They both provided hope to their people and then abuse their power by trying to spread their "superior race." I've already outlined the similarities.

this is all really droll... if you wish to continue this.. we can do so on your or my wallpaper .. but i no longer want to pollute the thread like you did with so many others arguing about something completely different ... as for your question hitler and holocaust are two differnt words... i have no problem with the comparrision to hitler. .but the baltant way you did it ..there was no need for this holocaust comparisson.. that was unnecesarry .. youd better think twice about the phrasing of your words in the future

The point was that Hitler gave hope to his people and brought them out of bad economic times, but that does not make him a good person. The Holocaust is the best example of that, and it's directly related to Visari wanting to establish the Helghast as the master race. That would mean eliminating the inferiors. I don't see a problem with this comparison, and I don't need to follow your threat that I'd "better think twice...in the future." Thanks, and have a good day.

Certainly, windbane. From the official Killzone.com story:

The UCN grows concerned at the increasing domination that Helghan is exerting over star travel and space trade - traditionally under UCN control. They also become frustrated that the Helghan are creating vast wealth off the backs of colonial endeavors that the UCN itself has underwritten. It levies stricter controls and tariffs on all space traffic and taxes the colonies more heavily than ever before - using the money to expand the UCA, the UCA Navy receiving the bulk of the new budget. For the first time the UCA Navy develops large scale troop transports and the new Heavy Cruisers - warships clearly designed principally to smash the ISA fleets of the outer colonies and invade them by force.

As part of these new regulations several privileges granted to the Helghan Administration as part of the Helghan/Vektan Purchase are rescinded - specifically the right to a large home fleet and tariffs on shipping. The Helghan Administration refuses, but does agree to high-level talks on a compromise solution. Back home, however, the wealthy people of Vekta and the powerful companies in orbit around Helghan pressure the Helghan Administration not to budge on the issues of tariffs or self-defense.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective