By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Something to Ponder... Wii's first half 2009 sales to reflect 2008?

Lurker said:
The bubble is bound to burst in '09

Bubble? The Wii?

Around the Network
Lurker said:
The bubble is bound to burst in '09

probably not the best attitude to take around here....

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

If you're going to mention something like a "bubble burst", a reason why would be great. Otherwise, it just sounds like 2007.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

Shanobi said:
If you're going to mention something like a "bubble burst", a reason why would be great. Otherwise, it just sounds like 2007.

Well as soon as The Conduit comes out all Hardcore gamers are gonna come to the Wii and scare the "kiddy's and Grandmas" off and the Wii will start selling like the HD systems.  

irstupid said:
Shanobi said:

Well as soon as The Conduit comes out all Hardcore gamers are gonna come to the Wii and scare the "kiddy's and Grandmas" off and the Wii will start selling like the HD systems.

Oh, you mean like No More Heroes already did, and like MadWorld will do before that? :P

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network
irstupid said:
Shanobi said:

Haha. So true!

Or worse...maybe those grandmas will be shouting "tea bag!" into their Wii Speak microphones...

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

Shanobi said:

You should always assume such statements are sarcasm unless otherwise specified.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Wii has

Monster Hunter G, Final Fantasy: CC Echoes of Time, and this other game with an S which should be pretty big through April in Japan. Release dates beyond that are basically TBA, but you figure Punch Out or Wii Sports Resort makes it by the end of June.

Sales will probably down from Week 1-26 2008 in Japan. Toward the end of the year, when Monster Hunter 3, Pikmin 3/Zelda or a Tales, or one of the new Nintendo IPs like Cosmic Walker arrive, sales should become comparable or above 2008 levels. If that doesn't happen, Nintendo can always drop the price of Wii by 50,000 Yen.

Dragon Quest IX on DS could also have a bit of an echo effect for Wii in March (since Wii is getting DQX) as people who are DQ fans switch back from Sony platforms to Nintendo platforms.

For the Americas...

Nintendo seems to just be sitting on Disaster: Day of Crisis. Mad World, The Conduit, Punch Out, Wii Sports Resort, more music games, more Sonic, the TMNT fighter are all possible for the first half. Wii sales are so good though that Nintendo has basically left quarter one open to third parties except for the Game Cube remakes.

I'd wager sales will be up throughout the year in the Americas, almost regardless of what they do.

For Others...

Same deal...Sonic. Music games. Mad World. Wii Sports Resort. Punch Out. A few other supporting titles. Thats probably enough to keep sales steady or up slightly in the first 26 weeks.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

FishyJoe said:I think you put too much stock in new releases. The DS has shown us that consumers aren't necessarily driven by newly released games. To someone buying a new console, the older games are just as relevant as the new ones.

c0rd said: Even in the slim chance Wii supply catches up with demand (doubtful), Wii Sports Resort / Motion plus seems to be coming in the first half of 09. That's a massive bomb waiting to blow...

Phoenix_Whitte said: with all the wii games going to be released soon, id be suprised if it didnt sell as much

irstupid said: As someone said, too much taking new released into account. All you have to do is look at WiiFit, Mario Kart and others to see that people are buying them by the truck load.
Like I said somewhere else, most people don't like waiting for the girl to turn 18. They would rather go to the bar and play with the girls that are already 18.

Shanobi said: If you're going to mention something like a "bubble burst", a reason why would be great. Otherwise, it just sounds like 2007.

Or worse...maybe those grandmas will be shouting "tea bag!" into their Wii Speak microphones...

The Source said: I'd wager sales will be up throughout the year in the Americas, almost regardless of what they do.

For Others...

Same deal...Sonic. Music games. Mad World. Wii Sports Resort. Punch Out. A few other supporting titles. Thats probably enough to keep sales steady or up slightly in the first 26 weeks.

The Wii only managed to sell about 7.3 mill from jan- june 09 compared to over 8 mill it did in 08

Thanks guys as those posts made me smirk a little after reading them

Next im coming for U Benga Benga and the rest of the vgc community that doubted me wen i said re5 will sell more on the ps3 than the 360 by the end of 09 OPEN ME  and OPEN ME

Play Me

I don't see how Nintendo can meet their projected sales for the Fiscal Year.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger