By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

There is a strong correlation between the dates when abortion was legalized and a drop in crime rates around eighteen years later. One of the reasons why is because women are pretty good judges on whether or not they will be able to support a child, and many of them will get an abortion if they don't think they will be able to:

General outline of the theory:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legalized_abortion_and_crime_effect

A more in-depth look:

http://pricetheory.uchicago.edu/levitt/Papers/DonohueLevittTheImpactOfLegalized2001.pdf

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

Um, whoops. Wrong thread.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

akuma587 said:

There is a strong correlation between the dates when abortion was legalized and a drop in crime rates around eighteen years later. One of the reasons why is because women are pretty good judges on whether or not they will be able to support a child, and many of them will get an abortion if they don't think they will be able to:

A more in-depth look:

http://pricetheory.uchicago.edu/levitt/Papers/DonohueLevittTheImpactOfLegalized2001.pdf

And nobody realized until Levitt wrote his very famous book. Economic efficaincy still doesn't make something right though...   I would get booed if I started arguing that we should re-institute slavery in America becuase its economically efficient, even if I had proof that I was right.

I'm not saying that it justifies abortion, but it is pretty ironic how the party who is against abortion (Republicans) is also the party who takes the toughest stance on crime. And ironically Republicans are also the party who loves to talk about economic efficiency.

Libertarians take the most consistent stance on everything, although they can be a bit insane sometimes.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I am sure that when the Germans purged the Jews, Gypsies and infirmed via Eugenics, that their crime rates went down too.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
I am sure that when the Germans purged the Jews, Gypsies and infirmed via Eugenics, that their crime rates went down too.

I'm not quite sure where to start.  You're saying that Jews and retards have criminal tendencies?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

pro-life

What I especially hate is when it is within the reach of medical science to save the baby's life and they kill it anyway. Whether you agree with abortion or not, I don't know how anyone can sit back and say that is ok.

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

Final-Fan said:
mrstickball said:

I'm not quite sure where to start.  You're saying that Jews and retards have criminal tendencies?

To the Germans, I am sure that they did - why else did Hitler kill 'inferior' races? We do the same thing in America via our eugenics programs, but they're primarily targeted toward blacks and poor, which reduced our crime rates.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Final-Fan said:
mrstickball said:
To the Germans, I am sure that they did - why else did Hitler kill 'inferior' races? We do the same thing in America via our eugenics programs, but they're primarily targeted toward blacks and poor, which reduced our crime rates.

But you're saying that he was RIGHT -- not morally of course, but factually -- that the Jews and Gypsies and homos and retards were significantly more criminal than his beloved Aryan race.  Is this truly your position?

Hawkeye said:
akuma587 said:

A more in-depth look:

And nobody realized until Levitt wrote his very famous book. Economic efficaincy still doesn't make something right though...   I would get booed if I started arguing that we should re-institute slavery in America becuase its economically efficient, even if I had proof that I was right.

Actually I think, that wage slavery is more efficient. If you can pay other people to do something for say three bucks an hour, you don't have to worry about feeding them, housing and clothing them as well as keeping them healthy. Plus paying the people to watch them.