By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Anybody try the Windows 7 Beta yet?

Munkeh111 said:
a12331 said:
Munkeh111 said:
I got in the Vista beta, and I couldn't really stop using it, so my main concern is what happens when it runs out? I am obliged to buy 7 if I want to continue using my computer?

they said if you were in the beta testing the beat ends in August, after that you have to reinstall your previous operating system. They said that you could NOT upgrade the beat to the full version

Not really worth it then.... I seem to be the only person in the world who thinks that Vista is actually a decent OS

You are not the only one, I also live vista and that is why i am searching for a hard drive at the moment so then i can try windows 7 

Around the Network

Ok so, you can use daemon tools/alcohol 120 to install it, the reboot doesnt matter as it will have the setup cached by then.

If you have an existing OS that you want to keep then you just need to have a second partition. In the initial setup you just choose 'custom' and choose your other partition, this will create a boot up menu which will have Windows 7 as default, would could be swapped around later.

Also a word to anyone with more than one monitor plugged in, unplug the secondary monitor or it may fail to boot into the login screen after install.

Had the same problem with the wireless lan drivers, cant be bothered to mess about with it now so i will have a go later, tho as it stands its miles less stable than vista, i blue screened it within 5 minutes lol

I won't bother with it, sounds complicated and technical to set up. I'll be sure to check out the finished product though.

gavind5uk said:
Ok so, you can use daemon tools/alcohol 120 to install it, the reboot doesnt matter as it will have the setup cached by then.

If you have an existing OS that you want to keep then you just need to have a second partition. In the initial setup you just choose 'custom' and choose your other partition, this will create a boot up menu which will have Windows 7 as default, would could be swapped around later.

Also a word to anyone with more than one monitor plugged in, unplug the secondary monitor or it may fail to boot into the login screen after install.

Had the same problem with the wireless lan drivers, cant be bothered to mess about with it now so i will have a go later, tho as it stands its miles less stable than vista, i blue screened it within 5 minutes lol

wait so you can use daemon tools, becasue when you install by the disk it goes to 20 percent and reboots and then continues untill it is installed.

a12331 said:
Zkuq said:
I just tried it, only to find out my WLAN adapter doesn't even have 64-bit drivers for Vista, not to mention 7. It's kinda hard to say very much at this point then, but at least it installed very fast (a lot faster than XP and if my memory serves me right, faster that Vista, too) and it seems to boot up pretty fast as well.

did you download the 32-bit version?

Nope. I thought it was pretty obvious; why else would I be talking about 64-bit drivers? Oh, and before you come to say more, I checked both the manufacturer and chipset manufacturer only to find neither had the drivers.

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
a12331 said:
Zkuq said:
I just tried it, only to find out my WLAN adapter doesn't even have 64-bit drivers for Vista, not to mention 7. It's kinda hard to say very much at this point then, but at least it installed very fast (a lot faster than XP and if my memory serves me right, faster that Vista, too) and it seems to boot up pretty fast as well.

Nope. I thought it was pretty obvious; why else would I be talking about 64-bit drivers? Oh, and before you come to say more, I checked both the manufacturer and chipset manufacturer only to find neither had the drivers.

sorry looked at it wrong, but interesting, how old is this wlan adapter as it does bot have a 64-bit driver by now. also you might have already but did you try to install the 32-bit drivers on windows 7 x64

a12331 said:
gavind5uk said:

wait so you can use daemon tools, becasue when you install by the disk it goes to 20 percent and reboots and then continues untill it is installed.

Yeah ive done it twice with daemon tools with no problem, it creates 'windows 7 setup' as one of the boot sequence items which you choose then completes the install off the files it has copied onto the partition from the initial setup.

gavind5uk said:
a12331 said:
gavind5uk said:

Yeah ive done it twice with daemon tools with no problem, it creates 'windows 7 setup' as one of the boot sequence items which you choose then completes the install off the files it has copied onto the partition from the initial setup.

cool, i have a question though, do you what happens if a person doesnt have a 128mb video card, because my friend doesnt have a video card on one of his old computers that he has, 

a12331 said:
gavind5uk said:
a12331 said:
gavind5uk said:

cool, i have a question though, do you what happens if a person doesnt have a 128mb video card, because my friend doesnt have a video card on one of his old computers that he has, 

Well he will have a video processor, likely it will be embedded into the motherboard (how would he plug his monitor in otherwise right?) so when it comes to the 128mb, im almost positive that this is the requirement if you want to use the aero system aka prettier interface. Other than that, it should work no problem.

a12331 said:
Zkuq said:
a12331 said:
Zkuq said:

sorry looked at it wrong, but interesting, how old is this wlan adapter as it does bot have a 64-bit driver by now. also you might have already but did you try to install the 32-bit drivers on windows 7 x64

It's a Linksys adapter; it has 32-bit Vista drivers but only a few seem to have 64-bit drivers. I suppose it's not the adapter but the manufacturer. Don't know about the age, though, and don't care, either. And yes, I tried 32-bit drivers first as I'm not used to the different really mattering (been using almost entirely only 32-bit systems). I guess I would have done it anyway, though.