By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Anybody try the Windows 7 Beta yet?

thetonestarr said:
I tried installing it Friday, but it froze during unpacking at 97%.

Five times.

Did you get it from M$? i heard theres a few duds floating about the torrents.

Around the Network

I'm just wondering a few things...

1) Do you have to do a clean install or can this work on just an HDD partition...

2) Is it worth the time and Effort???

3) I only have about 10 DVD's left... is it worth the loss.....

Yes.... the truth is that I'm lazy and trying to find the weakest reasons possible to not do it....

*Thinks for a second*

Back to Disgaea3 ^_^

EDIT: Just looked at the system requirements.... Wonder if my RAM would be enough [893MB]

4 ≈ One

Dgc1808 said:

1) Do you have to do a clean install or can this work on just an HDD partition...

Either. Also, if you have Vista, you can do an upgrade install.

Only if you think Vista is a good platform. Windows 7 is Vista with a few minor tweaks and fixes. You also must be knowledgeable about computers to deal with bugs and glitches which WILL happen in beta software.

Come on. Blank DVD-Rs are cheap.

EDIT: Just looked at the system requirements.... Wonder if my RAM would be enough [893MB]

No. The performance is pretty similar to Vista so 2GB is neccessary for a smooth experience and 4GB for serious gaming or multimedia work. 893MB would struggle really. Also, if your computer is that old, if it has Intel integrated graphics it probably can't handle the eye candy which is most of the reason for upgrading.

Dgc1808 said:

Yes.... the truth is that I'm lazy and trying to find the weakest reasons possible to not do it....

*Thinks for a second*

Back to Disgaea3 ^_^

beta is recommended to people who can spend time finding errors and and can handle the stress that there is limited support. -Microsoft

I would only do it if you want to see windows 7, and you do not care about any data you have on xp or vista. 

For those looking for a performance boost for your games in windows 7 from vista,you will run into some troubles. So far I found that call of duty 5 and 4 dont work wit windows 7

Around the Network

Why has no one recommended people install this in a VM? Just install it on a virtual machine and use it without having to make a new partition, or clean install, or separate hard drive.

nightsurge said:
Why has no one recommended people install this in a VM? Just install it on a virtual machine and use it without having to make a new partition, or clean install, or separate hard drive.

I would agree with you but some people dont have enough system resources to emulate windows 7. They want to see how windows 7 will run under their system. 

I'm running 7 atm and it absolutely beats the hell out of Vista.

It's quicker, slicker, much MUCH tidier and lighter than Vista. UAC is far less intrusive and rarely appears. Gaming performance is much improved over Vista.

Look up some benchmarks, loads of sites have been testing it only to reveal it's a much more efficient system than Vista. Many are reporting it to run better on lower spec machines than Vista did.

7 is what Vista should've been.

MrMarc said:

I'm running 7 atm and it absolutely beats the hell out of Vista.

It's quicker, slicker, much MUCH tidier and lighter than Vista. UAC is far less intrusive and rarely appears. Gaming performance is much improved over Vista.

Look up some benchmarks, loads of sites have been testing it only to reveal it's a much more efficient system than Vista. Many are reporting it to run better on lower spec machines than Vista did.

7 is what Vista should've been.

This is what Vista should have been, right now I'm running it on a Pentium 4 3Ghz / 1GB Ram system and it feels great even with aero on, there are a few bugs but nothing too intrusive, the new windows media center isn't up to snuff yet and editing the all users start menu is a no go, so far thats it, all the vista device drivers installed cleanly and everything works.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

I was going to do this, but I just started playing The Witcher En Ed and I doubt it'll work... someone should post some links to the benchmarks