By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsofts secret weapon!

I don't think that will influence too many consumers....

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

Seihyouken said:
Despite all the doom and gloom the PS3 is currently getting, Microsoft are the ones potentially in a really tight spot right now. Now that the Christmas bargain rush is over, 360 and PS3 sales will fall back to being within 50,000 every week. At that point it doesn't come down so much to which console is cheaper, but more so which console has the latest and greatest releases. (See Jan-Sept 2007 & 2008 for reference)

Thats a big statement to make when you don't even know where the sales will bottom out to. Furthermore the only games which sell systems are a select few highly significant games. Your average list of Sony system sellers on vgchartz? Complete bull!

In that aspect, Microsoft is fighting a lost battle. The 360 doesn't have a single upcoming exclusive this year that is sure to sell a significant amount of systems. Ninety-Nine Nights, Dance Dance Revolution Universe, Blue Dragon, Mass Effect, Lips, Scene It?, Splinter Cell, and espeically Forza Motorsport and Halo have already saturated the 360's market. They'll all sell huge amounts of software for sure, but the effects of their releases on weekly hardware sales will be negligible at best. Alan Wake and Ninja Blade, as new IPs, could both potentially have a sizable impact, but only if they're extremely well-recieved by critics and heavily marketed.

Doesn't have a single upcoming release huh? Wow, lets um not repeat the mistake of 2008 shall we?

PS3 on the otherhand has a ton of significant next-generation premiers coming in 2009 such as Final Fantasy XIII, Gran Turismo 5, God of War III and Killzone 2 all of which should combine to move millions of consoles for Sony. PS3 also has quite a few promising new IPs such as M.A.G, Quantum Theory, White Knight Chronicles, Heavy Rain, EyePet, and Demon's Souls, which all have the same potential to be runaway hits as Alan Wake or Ninja Blade. Furthermore, now that the PS3 with the upcoming 45nm Cell revision coming around March, the PS3 will be profitible and be able to ride profits all the way into Q4 when the PS3 will cost about $325 to manufacture. At that point, Sony will issue a $100 price drop in every region combined witht the scheduled releases of Final Fantasy XIII in Japan, Gran Turismo 5 in Europe, and God of War III in America. Needless to say, Sony stands to handily win 2009 all together due simply to Q4, the same way Microsoft did in 08, if Microsoft can't come up with something to drastically spur 360 sales.

FFXIII (On 360), God of War III - is a system seller when LBP etc were not... Wow, Killzone 2 won't sell systems there have been 4 significant shooter releases this generation and 3 have been exclusive on the Xbox 360, that market is spent! Noone cares about mag now that theres a subscription fee, White knights main effects are Japan 2008, Heavy rain is niche (still good), Eyepet has that big thing called a Wii to rape its potential and Demon Soul? Hahahahaha. All have the potential to be runaway hits? LOL. Lastly who's ass did you pull out the speculation on how much the PS3 will cost?

That being said, there's really not much more Microsoft can do. They almost definitely can't afford to drop the 360's price by $100 because they'd be breaking the base manufacturing cost for the system and could likely end up selling the system at a permenant loss. On the otherside, a $50 price-drop would look weak and likely wouldn't be enough in comparisons with a $100 price drop from Sony, especially with all the blockbuster hits Sony has for Q4 in every region.

Im going to answer that last part seperately because its special. Why the hell do people act like the competition between Microsoft and Sony is some sort of EMO JRPG storyline??!?!

Tease.

To be honest, I'm surpised Microsoft hasn't done this already. Give them the first hit for free and then charge for the others. ;)

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

So threads like this mean 360 fans are still afraid of a PS3 comeback? Yes, I think they should be.

okr said:
So threads like this mean 360 fans are still afraid of a PS3 comeback? Yes, I think they should be.

About as afraid as that all their virginities will be taken by the hottest opposite gender individual on the planet...

In other words, no we are not afraid of any PS3 comeback.  We've seen how MS handles those by watching 2008.

Around the Network

I don't think there's a whole lot MS can do, that will make a difference, if the PS3 drops to $299.  There's a lot of stuff they can try, but if the PS3 drops to $299, it'll become a LOT more attractive to a LOT more people.  MS won't be able to stop that from happening, no matter what they do.

They can make the X360 slightly more attractive, but... I hate to say it, but the HD console market may be getting saturated -- with X360s in particular.  There are more potential PS3 customers, IMO, than X360 customers, due to the extra year of availablility (of the 360), and the extra utility of the PS3 to HDTV owners (BD).  Nothing MS can do will change that, if the price of the PS3 comes down.

Seihyouken said:
ROBOTECHHEAVEN said:
m$ secret weapon could be killer instinct 3,or maybe get blizzard to port over diablo 3 to the 360 only. both systems have good titles for this year, but gt5 hasnt been confirmed for this year . so u can count it yet for 09, and ff13 will only have a effect in japan this year. so no effect outside of japan. either way both should sell well, but if the economy stays bad for 09, which alot of ppl say it will then a $299 ps3 wont do enough for sony as m$ arcade does for it at $199.

A SCEE executive confirmed that Gran Turismo 5 is on schedule to arrive in Europe during "Christmas 2009." That's not to say it can't get delayed, but that's an unforseeable circumstance and can be said about almost any game. Since Gran Turismo games always hit Japan first, that also pretty much confirms a Japanese release this year.

I don't see what your point against FFXIII is. It will only release in Japan this year, but Final Fantasy is practically a religion there and their games almost always make most of their sales in Japan anyway. When it's released there it will sell hundreds of thousands of PS3s.

If Microsoft doesn't drop the price of the 360 in Q4 2009 to match a PS3 price-cut of $100, I can assure you that PS3 will sell infinitely more, even if the 360 is still $100 cheaper. The reason for this is because the PS3 will open itself up to a vastly larger market, while 360 will remain with the same one that it has already been selling to for over a year. This is the exact reason why PS3 did so poorly in comparison to the 360 this last Christmas.

Really??? INFINITELY MOAR!!!!!  Lol.

Also, which market are you referring to about the 360?  You mean the one they just entered with the $200 price tag.... yeah, the PS3 still won't be touching that market, and it is much larger than the $300 price tag market.  The Xbox 360 will always be cheaper, and for outside gamers who just want an HD gaming system, the 360 will be cheaper for playing the same games.

EDIT:  I see my post also applies to Groucho now.
The market for HD consoles is no where near saturated, and just like PS3 has some unique features, so does the 360.  All in all they about cancel out.  The typical household gamer just wants the cheapest thing that gets him the games... in other words, the 360.  Not everyone out there is going to fit the crowd of wanting a blu-ray player AND a games console, so all they will see is a higher cost of entry.

richardhutnik said:
Seihyouken said:

The concept of a Silver Xbox Live membership being superior to PSN is pretty hilarious. It's borderline fanboyish too.

Superior is absurd.  But, outside of online play, why would PSN be better than Sliver?  Home?  Home is nowhere near all that yet.

You don't have a PS3 do you.

-Online Video store

-game store with PS1, PSN, and PS3 titles available to purchase.

-every other online feature offered; chat, video chat, trophies w/ collections levels and %.

-Internet browser, Life With Playstation, BD live connectivity, dare I say Core and Pulse?

(although I am not familiar with the extents of what a silver account includes,  I have always had a gold account)

outside of parties and cross game invites how is a live gold account better than the PSN whatsoever?

It works both ways, both services are very comparable. PSN is actually better in many ways, but XBL also is better in some ways as well.

@OP, are you saying include a free live subscription , and a free netflix account? because yes, that would be sweet.. but it seems like people tend to respond to less rather than more in this generation. It is a good plan, but I doubt many people would notice. Its sad really, but that is how it is.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

ultraslick said:
richardhutnik said:
Seihyouken said:

The concept of a Silver Xbox Live membership being superior to PSN is pretty hilarious. It's borderline fanboyish too.

Superior is absurd.  But, outside of online play, why would PSN be better than Sliver?  Home?  Home is nowhere near all that yet.

(although I am not familiar with the extents of what a silver account includes,  I have always had a gold account)

same as gold except playing online and demos are available a week earlier to gold members.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

I love how one Sony fan pisses on MS for charging for Live, while the next boasts how Sony has made one million dollars selling shit on Home.