By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Epic: Xbox 360 version of UT 3 could have less content than PS3 version...

btw, oblivion is a terrible example. they repeat textures and things as much as they can. its how they get to profess they have the most game per file size of anyone.

and although i agree that sony is using the audio as a huge push for blu ray, it is stupid to get all up in arms about it. they are using uncompressed audio cause they can with blu ray. i think its good that they are spending the time to make audio a big emphasis this gen. better music and voice acting = me happy. sony is upping the anti to make ms respond so the music wars will hopefully commence. not too mention that golem is mo cap acting in heavenly sword. best acting by a non human ever, i still cant believe what an amazing job they did with that.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

Around the Network

I agree with you Sharky. The extra space is used cause it's there. If there isn't extra space, devs work with the constraints. I have yet to see a game that truly required that extra space to deliver more content. When I see Blu-ray actually increasing games length, rather than just used for duplicating data to reduce load times and uncompressed sound files, then I'll accept it's actually worthwhile for the industry.

soccerdrew17 said:
ckmlb said:
soccerdrew17 said:
they had to trim it, but yea they are talking about one gigantic game. let's see if it delivers. seems to me that mass effect is the bar for big epic games this gen.

I was thinking this same thing until I heard the main game is basically 20 hours ish and you can get more hours from sidequests and stuff.

ok, i have totally lost respect for dvd in gaming. i thouht u could fit anice sized epic on there with some hard work, but i guess not. it seems to me that it should be blu ray or a dl game (hopefully by the time it matters we can have 3 gig games for dl) by the end of the console life cycle.

Nice to see you actually read the rest of the topic.  It's a 20-30 hour main plot with 20-30 hours of side plot.  Every action and decision you make also changes the outcome of the game (and the people you play through the game with), so you can play the game many many times without ever playing it the same way twice.  As far as actual depth of content there is nothing on the PS3 that's even come close to that.  What's the longest game announced for the PS3?  Heavenly Sword at 12-14 hours game time?  Blu-ray has not shown it can increase (or at least that it's being used to increase) the length, depth, or interactivity of the gameplay experience.  Hell, Zelda Twilight Princess fit on a 1.5GB Gamecube Minidisk with some of the best graphics of last generation and was a 40 hour plus game.  Yet Blu-ray hasn't even managed to match half that length with more than 20 times the disc space.  I'm sorry but there is ZERO evidence to justify Blu-ray being a valid and necessary addition to the game industry at this point. 

yeah I have yet to see a game not possibly fitting on a DVD, especially with the possibility of dual layer.... and anyway it's not either HD DVD or BD the future of storage solution it's going to be HVD.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

Well I don't have much of a dog in this fight from a fanboy perspective. It doesn't much matter to me since I have a gaming PC so I'll be getting UT3 on the PC where it'll have controls worthy of an FPS.

Overall though I think both sides are arguing past each other here. Is there any doubt that 50GB is to some degree better than 10GB? Nope. Does it make games 5 times better as Sony fanboys think? Nope. The key thing is Bluray is directly responsible for the PS3's current troubles due to its high price and still massive loss inducing cost.

If the PS3 doesn't start gaining some serious ground on the 360 then few non-Sony paid devs will bother using more than 10GB on the PS3 in the future anyways. Sure it may turn out to have been a smart business move for Sony in the future but is it any consolation for Sony fanboys that they will get to watch Superbad 4 on Bluray in between playing cheap 360 ports on their PS3? Nope.

Around the Network

damn. unreal is my 2nd fav FPS (behind Timesplitters) & i only have a 360..

albionus said:
Well I don't have much of a dog in this fight from a fanboy perspective. It doesn't much matter to me since I have a gaming PC so I'll be getting UT3 on the PC where it'll have controls worthy of an FPS.

Overall though I think both sides are arguing past each other here. Is there any doubt that 50GB is to some degree better than 10GB? Nope. Does it make games 5 times better as Sony fanboys think? Nope. The key thing is Bluray is directly responsible for the PS3's current troubles due to its high price and still massive loss inducing cost.

If the PS3 doesn't start gaining some serious ground on the 360 then few non-Sony paid devs will bother using more than 10GB on the PS3 in the future anyways. Sure it may turn out to have been a smart business move for Sony in the future but is it any consolation for Sony fanboys that they will get to watch Superbad 4 on Bluray in between playing cheap 360 ports on their PS3? Nope.

You do know that the PS3 supports keyboard/mouse on UT3 right?

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

@akuma,
you do know that almost no one plays home consoles on a computer monitor at a desk right?

albionus said:
@akuma,
you do know that almost no one plays home consoles on a computer monitor at a desk right?

doesnt matter, you can be playing it on a desk, bluetooth :P

mM
akuma587 said:
Yup, I agree with ckmlb. People will endorse Ubisoft's complaint (only beaten by EA in crapiness), but they brush off what Epic says, even though the studio consistently releases undeniably top-notch games.

I'll go on record and deny that UT2003 and UT2004 were top-notch games.