By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is the Wii stronger than the original Xbox, if so..

well its obvious that dev's just think that they don't need good graphics for peopel to buy their game and thus don't to save money.

but did you seriously use Doom 3 as an example. Wow, I have that for my computer and then was at someones house and he had an xbox with doom 3 on it and wow that was so horrible looking. Maybe it is just that i was used to the computers version, but holy cow was the difference between computer doom 3 and xbox doom 3. It was massive

Around the Network

Not really much of a demand for high visuals on Wii.

4 ≈ One

The_vagabond7 said:

Better?

Personally I think Mario Galaxy looks better.

about the post vegabond87 posted with mario galaxy pics. If you have ever played the game you know those pics are a horrible representation of the game.

absolutely horrible.

@Dgc

I'd disagree. I think there is such a demand. Wii owners don't want to be treated as "second fiddle" The hardware is very capable. We expect good looking games. Brawl is a good looking game, Prime, Galaxy. Wii owners don't expect PS3 like graphics, but we certainly don't appreciate games that look like something the PS2 could have crapped out either.

Look at a game like Crysis on the PC, no HD console could handle those visuals, and guess what? HD console owners don't expect those kinds of visuals. But a Gears 2 or MGS4 is very much in line with what owners of those consoles expect out of those platforms..If a game came out on 360 that looked like a Wii game? They'd be pist.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network

Now that i think about it, this is kind of a pointless debate. I mean...we are comparing a 2005 game on a last gen console with a 2007 Wii game and its coming down to a photo finish.

We all know that Wii isn't as powerful as the 360 and ps3. Now does it really matter if its as powerful as Xbox? Does that make it a moral victory? Does wii lose a hint of sales if it turns out Xbox 1 is more powerful? Not really...Wii is killing everyone in sales and it sure isnt because of graphics. So why compare its graphics to other consoles?

Comparing SMG and NGB is actually a bad idea. The former's visual appeal comes almost entirely from its environments, and the latter focuses almost completely on providing detailed character models. I think the focus is what makes each stands out, but is also what makes the two nearly impossible to compare in terms of graphics.

disolitude said:
Now that i think about it, this is kind of a pointless debate. I mean...we are comparing a 2005 game on a last gen console with a 2007 Wii game and its coming down to a photo finish.

We all know that Wii isn't as powerful as the 360 and ps3. Now does it really matter if its as powerful as Xbox? Does that make it a moral victory? Does wii lose a hint of sales if it turns out Xbox 1 is more powerful? Not really...Wii is killing everyone in sales and it sure isnt because of graphics. So why compare its graphics to other consoles?

Because Wii gamers are still interested in good graphics even if they didn't buy the system for its graphics... I certainly would like to see more great graphics on the Wii.

Anyway the Wii is not yet taken seriously by most 3rd parties, hopefully more effort will be done in future games. Nintendo's games are mostly not in the realistic style so we don't really have a fair comparison with the Xbox.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

^^
I guess. Id love to see a 720p game on the wii. Just once...and intro screen only perhaps...please!? Kinda like Wii flexing its muscle and saying...see i can do it to.

Regular xbox did it with a bunch of titles...MK armageddon for example.

Not that I like getting into these battles, but Super Mario Galaxy, imo, looks better than any Xbox game I've seen. Now of course I know yall are comparing realism, but your silly for doing it. Graphics is so much more than how you compare it to real life. Super Mario Galaxy has incredible polish, an art style that represents the space atmosphere, with a beautiful touch from its creators giving it a unique feel. No Xbox game gives that off and very few games on other systems do that.

There is just so much more to having impressive visuals than simply looking real. And if you want to compare realism then go ahead but your comparing an aspect that can mean everything or nothing. If you are going to compare graphics compare things of similar art styles such as RE4 on Wii which probably looks as good as any Xbox game because the GC version looked as good as any Xbox game. Or compare World at War to Doom 3 and whatnot.

But if you are going to compare as a whole, Super Mario Galaxy bests anything I've seen on Xbox. You can't tell that through pictures because they can be deceptive. Just have to go see them for yourself.

Now is Wii strong than Xbox? Yes, theoretically. But of course it's not powerful enough to be besting the top of Xbox in its first couple of years. Like all consoles you just have to wait til further down the line when more devs are maxing it out to see the best of it. I say wait for the next Zelda game if you really want to see what it can do as Nintendo never displeases with visual excellence.