By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Trophies Reflect Skill More than Achievements

Goddbless said:
FilaBrasileiro said:
Whoever starts giving rewards (read credits to use on PSN Store/HOME/XBL) wins.

So I guess MS wins since they did that back in 07'.

You don't get jackshit for your achievement points besides bragging rights

Around the Network

i personally prefer achievements. But to each his own. Dont fight about this too much

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

I have always preferred the concept and sound of achievement points when compared to trophies. I imagibe points allow developers expanded latitude in determining the value of a particular achievement.

MS can easily added "Game Complete" to the gamer score but I think the main strength for MS is as Ony mention, that all games have this feature.

Sony trophy will always be "incomplete" picture because many games will never have trophy. Sony really should make this mandatory when they roll out trophy system and give developer window to patch in.

Another key feature is how well MS intergrate gamercard into the gamerscore system. It's easy to compare your scores and look at your achievements on the 360 and on site like my Gamercard.

A good example of OP is me a my friend Connoisseur. We are always in competition with each other and he is usually only 20 percent behind me. However when i go to look at his trophies and see what he has won....he has a billion games with a usual trophy completion of 7% and no platinums while I have a few games with 70 - 100 percent completion (excluding Pixel Junk Eden 26%, Pain 6%, and Warhawk 37%) I have 3 platinums and around 16 gold. ( I havn't updated my Sig in a while, i got the platinum for a replay of bioshock)

EDIT:

Me: B 239, S 33, G 16, P 3

Connoisseur: B 239, S 36, G 6

hmmm we tied on Bronze, but still if you only have 7 percent usually, then imagine how many games he has plunked down on there.

CURRENTLY PLAYING:  Warframe, Witcher 2

Around the Network

Well, they're pretty identical. His facts are true, but I don't think anybody is embarassed by PSN Level/Gamerscore.

Oh, and trophies are mandatory already. They've been mandatory since 1st January.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Do people actually care for achievments/trophies?

I don't, beacuse frankly I don't have the time anymore to play games hours and hours on end just to get them, been that way since I turned 20+ years old.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Both systems are fine, yes Trophies are 'deeper' in that they give an finer view of what you've achieved - I just want a way to make them silent! I hate playing an atmospheric game like Bioshock and having a cheery sound beep and a notification I've just gotten a Trophy.

On MP games I don't mind but on SP I want a switch in the XMB to make Trophies 'silent' - i.e. no in-game notification you've earned it.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

The "skill" in Achievements is not in the Gamerscore its what Achievements you can get and if you can get 1000/1000 / 100%

wow trophies must be the most useless feature I have ever seen. Sony should have used their time to add some useful features. (Fullscreen modus for BluRay discs on 16:9 TVs, improved digital movie support, NTFS support for external hard-discs ...)