By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 about to break 20 million in sales....how is this bad?

Carl2291 said:
seece said:
Its not as simplistic as you put it.

All profits made from PS2 and PSP are eroded from the PS3.

ALL profits? Surely your exagerating?

No... he's not.  There's a chart of it somewhere.

The PS3 was eating into the PS1's total profits too.

Around the Network

I like that comment if it wasn't for Europe the PS3 would be dead. Speaking the EU is the largest economy in the world.

Its not THAT bad, its just fanboys making themselves feel better about their consoles.

Even though PS3 has better games based on metacritic, Wii owners feel like their winning some kind of competition.

Onyxmeth said:
Carl2291 said:
seece said:
Its not as simplistic as you put it.

All profits made from PS2 and PSP are eroded from the PS3.

ALL profits? Surely your exagerating?

Well from what I remember, their last quarterlies were in the negative, so yeah that would mean all the profits are eroded.

Thats harsh. Very harsh. Sony really need to pull the finger out

I like how you end the post with ''Sony isn't doing too bad''. Their financials and public image would tell a very different story. The PS3 has basically destroyed SCE financially and destroyed a massive part of their brand image as well. There have been countless stories from mainstream media talking of the failure of the PS3, whether it's true or not is actually irrelvant at that point, people read it is failing and so don't want one.

The PS3 is one huge screw up. People always try and say it made blu-ray win the HD war yet there is no evidence that blu-ray wouldn't have won without the PS3. I mean maybe blu-ray would have won regardless of the PS3's involvement. Secondly it isn't even clear if the HD disc war was important or not yet, DVD is still far bigger in sales and digital content is beginning to take off.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Around the Network

It isnt bad at all .

But for some fanboys it is ,as anything that isnt the absolute domination of the PS2 is failing .

But ,fanboys dont take in count the PS1 had 2 years in the market alone before the N64 came and the PS2 had two years in the market until the Xbox and Cube came were launched ...and the only com'petition they had stopped manufacturing the console early on (Sega with the Saturn and DC).....it is IMPOSSIBLE to mimic the success of the PS2 when you have your competition launching earlier or at the same time .Yet ,they dont understand this simply fact ......Sony has failed and thats all ,after all thats what they want to hear .

CGI-Quality said:
@ aavid

I agree to an extent, but to me the PS3 is not a failure. It's a hard lesson learned. It failed, however, to keep a lot of it's loyals as PS2 did with the PS1 fanbase, and that is the real tragedy here. The fact that PS3 says: Playstation, on it was not enough to sway loads of PS2 fans, at least not yet anyway. Gran Turismo 5, FFXIII, and Versus XIII could still help a lot but this gen the Playstation is pretty wounded unfortunately. Regardless, PS4 could still put Sony back on track to victory.

It´s not a failure for itself, since is a wonderful console and it´s not selling that bad for it´s price tag, but relativelly it is a fail, since it lost market share, money and brand name for Sony. It´s also a hard learned lesson, but failure nonetheless. As a gamer I´m very happy with my PS3, but unhappy for the way the gamming industry is going.

I´ve always been a pc gamer, but latelly the pc wasn´t receiving a lot of love from the devs(it´s looking better for 2009), that´s why I went back to consoles. My fear is that the gamming in consoles goes the same way, without the genres I like cause there´s a more profitable option. I hope  there is a PS4 and that it´s an awesome console just as the PS3, but a success in sales like the PS2, or even the wii.

VASCO DA GAMA CAMPEÃO DA COPA DO BRASIL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS VASCÃO

VICE É O CARALH*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

CGI-Quality said:
@ aavid

I agree to an extent, but to me the PS3 is not a failure. It's a hard lesson learned. It failed, however, to keep a lot of it's loyals as PS2 did with the PS1 fanbase, and that is the real tragedy here. The fact that PS3 says: Playstation, on it was not enough to sway loads of PS2 fans, at least not yet anyway. Gran Turismo 5, FFXIII, and Versus XIII could still help a lot but this gen the Playstation is pretty wounded unfortunately. Regardless, PS4 could still put Sony back on track to victory.

If they were loyal they would of stayed.

Loyalty in this industry is really an illusion just created by having the games people want to play in consecutive generations.

Some people are loyal but most just buy the system that has the games they want to play.

Combine the money they're making with LBP (those costumes are selling like crazy), Home (those pants are selling like crazy :P), PS2 and PSP. It should make up for the money they're losing on the PS3...

Here's why I consider it to be doing horribly.

The PS1 and PS2 absolutely dominated and heading into this generation, many and including Sony would've expected nothing different. To see them so far behind Nintendo is hard to believe almost if you look at the previous two generations. Also, many would've thought that Sony would've closed the gap and even surpassed the 360 as the HD market leader. They obviously haven't.

I also think they're doing poorly based on their past success since the PS3 has now had a launch, three Christmas/holiday seasons along being on the market for more than two years and still hasn't passed the 20m mark. Also, now with the holidays behind us, sales slow down. They might pass 20 million so but then what? They won't cross 25 million until the end of the year unless they have a big price drop. So it will have taken them three years just to sell 25 million consoles.

Tell me, how is that not bad for Sony?

I'll come up with something better eventually...