By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 about to break 20 million in sales....how is this bad?

Its not as simplistic as you put it.

All profits made from PS2 and PSP are eroded from the PS3.

Around the Network
gebx said:
http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=GC®1=America&cons2=PS3®2=America&cons3=XB®3=America&weeks=115

With the american launches aligned, the PS3 is almost a million behind the Xbox, and just barely beating the Gamecube.

The PS3's only saving grace is europe - If it wasn't for the Europeans, the PS3 would be dead in the water

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=GC®1=Europe&cons2=PS3®2=Europe&cons3=XB®3=Europe&weeks=115

But the Gamecube or Xbox Didnt launch at 500$ or 600$ did it.

jammy2211 said:
I find it impressive they'll outsell the GameCube without reaching a price the mass market can even consider as acceptable. Considering how cheap the GameCube ended up in the UK and most likely other territories so early, anyway.

It's bad when you put it in other ways, I think it's sold well for the price of the thing. Just not as well as it's predeccessors meant it should.

Couldn't have put it better.

gebx said:
http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=GC®1=America&cons2=PS3®2=America&cons3=XB®3=America&weeks=115

With the american launches aligned, the PS3 is almost a million behind the Xbox, and just barely beating the Gamecube.

The PS3's only saving grace is europe - If it wasn't for the Europeans, the PS3 would be dead in the water

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=GC®1=Europe&cons2=PS3®2=Europe&cons3=XB®3=Europe&weeks=115

The same can be said for 360 though without NA. If it wasn't for the Americans, the 360 would be dead in the water. 3 Years on the market and 11.53M without NA....

seece said:

ALL profits? Surely your exagerating?

Around the Network
Cypher1980 said:
Everything is relative

The competition of the Wii which launched a week later than the PS3 has destroyed the Sony box in the marketplace.

Licking wounds the Sony team claim they never wanted to beat Wii and its irrelevant.

Now the Xbox 360 has floored them with a price cut that makes the PS3 sticker price even more eye watering.

I guess 20 million units sold isnt bad considering everything that has gone wrong for Sony but it certainly isnt anything to crow about.

The wii competition did nothing to PS3, the wii is flying by itself, not taking any significant amount of sales of the PS3. If there wasn´t a wii, the PS3 would be barelly above what is now, so would the x360. This gen would be a failure compared to the last one.

Is actually it´s price allied with another console perceived as equal, with almost the same games, at almost half the price that´s pushing it to last place. Without a x360, the PS3 would be at almost 40 mln, but still behind the wii. A lot of today x360 owners wouldn´t get a PS3 because of the price. Actually is posiible that we would see a even stronger PS2 than it is today.

I actually believe that the wii created itself a separate market, appealing to a niche actually bigger than the number of traditional gamers, apart from Nintendo tradional gamers. It´s becoming a home utillity, almost as a dvd, I reckon it can reach similar popularity or even bigger. That´s why I don´t imagine wii buyers getting to stores thinking "wich one I get?". No, they go to the store Knowing that they want a wii. In most cases they don´t even know the competition. So don´t blame wii, blame sony and MS for Ps3 failure(relative).

VASCO DA GAMA CAMPEÃO DA COPA DO BRASIL!!!

CONGRATULATIONS VASCÃO

VICE É O CARALH*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future......NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Anyone else tired of all the threads about how Sony isn't doing that bad? The only people I even hear talking about how bad Sony is doing is Sony fans talking about how doing bad isn't all that bad.

The PS3 is selling well, and if Sony had made it at a reasonable price, it would be selling even better and be profitable. The Wii could still beat it, due to the expanded audience though.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Carl2291 said:
seece said:

ALL profits? Surely your exagerating?

Well from what I remember, their last quarterlies were in the negative, so yeah that would mean all the profits are eroded.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Gatorgamer88 said:

By the end of january the PS3 according to Vgchartz will surpass 20 million in sales. Now when you are losing a battle you might as well be losing and still selling 20 million consoles. Combine this witht he money they make from PSP and sony isnt doing too bad. Thoughts?

That's why it's bad.

That and that it's costing Sony money.

I mean... for comparison... look at the gamecube.

It did much worse then the PS3... but made Nintendo money.  Letting them plan for the next generation, come up with some crazy ideas and tech... and Bam... Wii.

If your not going to be the market leader profitability is most important.

Actually it's most important even if you are the market leader... but still.