By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What will be the maximum and minimum PS3->360 gap in 2009

Assuming that holiday sales after effect last through Jan 2009, I would guess the 360 gap will play out like this:

1st Quarter:

Jan 09 : 500K+ (about 125K gain/ week)
Feb-Mar : 200K-600K+ (Kill Zone 2 in late Feb may create a PS3 surge that temporarily narrow the sales gap for these two months. MS however, has Halo Wars, the GTA IV Episode I, and Fallout 3 expansion all coming out in this period. So the net sales gap is hard to judge).

Net 1st quarter: 700k-1100k gain for 360.

2nd Quarter:
With a $50 price drop from Sony.
Apr-Jun: 600k+ (50k gain / week)

Without a $50 price drop.
Apr-Jun: 1200k+ (100k gain /week)

with a $50 drop from Sony and MS react with a $50 drop on the pro & elite systems.
Apr-Jun: 1200k+ (100k gain/week)

Net 2nd quarter: 600k-1200k gain

3rd quarter:
Jul-Sept: 600k+ (50k gain/week)

Net 2nd quarter: 600k+ gain

4th quarter:
Another $50 price drop from Sony.
MS will also drop $50 from pro and elite systems while removing one game from the bundle. Around this time the third major revision of the 360 chipset should begin to show up. The arcade may get a small drop to $180. But MS probably don't see the need to drop the Arcade system below $199 until 2010.

With this scenario, price drops of both companies nearly cancels each other out. The net effect should be that 360 still continue to gain over PS3 but the gap will be much smaller compared to 2008 holidays.

Oct-Dec: 1200k+ (100k gain/week)

Net gain 4th quarter: 1200K+

Conclusion:
Min 360 gain in 09 : 3.1 mil
Max 360 gain in 09: 4.1 mil

Total LTD gain min: 8mil + 3.1 mil = 11.1 mil

Around the Network

This thread will be fun to come back to in 6-12 months.

DMeisterJ said:

LOL.  Yep.  I will be in trouble.

I truly believe Sony is going to step their game up this year. It seems as if this is the year Sony starts laying down the law and cracking the whip on these lazy ass developers.

Sony's Plans for 09(Educated Guess):
-Slash 50 from price early in year, another 50 fro price later in year.
-Bring Marketing up to par with Microsofts on there games and hardware.
-Release more games then ever though imaginable
-Making developers actually utilize the system's strengths such as adding trophies(if EVERY game has Achievements, they should also have Trophies.). Improvements on online experience such as HOME and the XMB in general. Utilize screen shots and in game music more!

With all this I believe it goes something like...
Minimum:5 million units
Maximum:7 million units

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

JaggedSac said:
DMeisterJ said:

LOL.  Yep.  I will be in trouble.

You can still change your prediction until the end of January.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Hmm, there are two outreaching possibilities I see, one is that the X360 continues to outsell the PS3 through the year, but rather slowly.

For that scenario the maximum gap will extend to about 11 million, and the minimum will obviously be the 8 million the year starts with.

-----

Another scenario sees the PS3 slowly catching the X360 in weekly sales, before outselling it weekly, and thus decreasing the gap, and then managing a good Christmas period making some decent ground on the 360.

For that I would think the maximum gap would extend from now until March/April up to about 9 million, then as the PS3 comes back the gap could diminish to as low as 6 million.

-------

So I guess it depends on the scenario that play out, personally I think it will be something in the middle, in that the PS3 will only start outselling the X360 later in the year, for which I see the maximum gap being about 10 million, and the minimum gap will remain the 8 million the year starts at, although the gap at the end of the year will be between 8 and 9 million.

c0rd said:

Max: 10.5mil
Min: 8mil

I can't see the Min/Max being too far apart from each other next year - unless Sony really starts hurting financially, the HD consoles' sales should stay reasonably close. For reference, even with the momentum swings this year, the min/max was 5.5mil / 8mil for 2008.

I also think the 360 will have a better year overall (hence, the 8mil minimum). The scenario I imagine is the 360 continuing to pull away during most of the year, until FFXIII / GT5 / price cut in the second half of they ear helps the PS3 catch up. I see the gap being around 9mil or so at the end of 09.

Actually, I've little confidence in this prediction (shot in the dark pretty much), but whatever...

Trust me when I tell you you will not see FF13 on 360 till 2010.

11 Max
8 Min

Max gap = 12 million
Min gap = 6 million

I am largely platform agnostic. I fail to understand why some people get overly fanboyish about what is an inanimate piece of electronics that's obsolete even before it's launched, when there are far more important things to champion, such as preventing environmental destruction or preventing millions of people dying unnecessarily from illnesses. This fact however, doesn’t mean I am not someone who doesn’t enjoy gaming as a pastime (as I have done for the last 20 years) or doesn’t have a strong interest in how the market is evolving – hence my presence on this site.

Platforms owned – PC, DS, X-Box 360, PS3, PSP and Wii.

Maximum gap 10 million. Minimum gap 6 million.