By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What will be the maximum and minimum PS3->360 gap in 2009

It's impossible to tell without knowing when that the pricecut is. I'd say max11 million min 2 mill.

Around the Network

The gap starts to decrease when KZ2 comes out followed by Infamous and White Knight Chronicles. Then Uncharted 2 being bigger during the holidays than Gears 2 was this year and of course the subtraction of one million copies alone during FFXIII's release week in Japan and another one million during GT5's worldwide release. Of course God of War III will also take a hefty chunk out of it. I was being conservative with my first post on this topic for the minimum. I want to change it to 3.5 to 5 million by Christmas 2009.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

BTFeather55 said:
The gap starts to decrease when KZ2 comes out followed by Infamous and White Knight Chronicles. Then Uncharted 2 being bigger during the holidays than Gears 2 was this year and of course the subtraction of one million copies alone during FFXIII's release week in Japan and another one million during GT5's worldwide release. Of course God of War III will also take a hefty chunk out of it. I was being conservative with my first post on this topic for the minimum. I want to change it to 3.5 to 5 million by Christmas 2009.

Pick a number for the minimum and edit your original post :)

If anyone uses ranges, I will take the middle value of the range. Since you're saying 3.5 to 5, your guess would be 4.25 million for the minimum gap.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Maximum - 13 million
Minimum - 6 million

Reasoning:

On the side favoring the X360, it will achieve a maximum of 10-11 million before mid/late March when Sony *may* drop the price of the Playstation 3. Should Sony wait until later in the year, then the gap is sure to grow to 12-13 million before a price cut is initiated. The gap could theoretically go higher if Sony's price cut was not very good (a $50 cut), or Microsoft countered with something better (such as a Slim model that sold very well).

On the side favoring the PS3, Sony could make aggressive cuts early, pitting the X360 and PS3 in a daily dogfight in March, for a 10m gap, which dwindles as the year goes on. I'd say 5m is the *bare minimum*, but given the various possibilities, 6m would be a 'very good' scenario.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I would say the minimum gap would be about 7,000,000 units and the maximum would be about 14,000,000 units.

Tease.

Around the Network

Maximum gap in 2009 - 10M consoles
Minimum - 6.5M

@BTFeather55 your prediction will last all of one week unless you're picking the 08-09 million range?

Tease.

Maximum gap 12 million

Minimum ... prolly 2 million.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Min 8 million as we enter 2009
Max 11 million as we exit 2009

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Min 6.5 Max 12 million