By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - CONFIRMED!!! PS3 is the most reliable system out yet!

Reliability is a major factor for me when it comes to computers and consumer electronics. Good to know the PS3 holds up in tropical conditions.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
MikeB said:
Reliability is a major factor for me when it comes to computers and consumer electronics. Good to know the PS3 holds up in tropical conditions.

Yep. People can attack the PS3 for a bunch of faults, but one thing that's hard to argue is that it's poorly designed. It really is an amazing piece of hardware from a user's perspective: powerful, flexible, multi-functional, and now (apparently) extremely durable. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

It does appear, (at least from the outside) to be the most durable of the three. It's built like a mini tank.

I'd wager it will be the longest lasting and most reliable of the three. Although the 360 is not going to offer any competition, it's currently wearing the 'most unreliable' crown.

leo-j said:

http://www.ps3vault.com/how-to-kill-a-ps3-console-1975

They put it in a freezer at zero degrees for up to 108 hours and they put it in a sauna at 120 degrees for up to 64 hours — all the while running games and Blu-ray Disc movies on it. Did it fail? Nope. Like the Energizer Bunny, it kept going and going and going

We know the 360 wouldn't have likely lasted an hour under those conditions (or possibly 108 consecutive hours under normal conditions), but I fail to see how this suggests it is more reliable than a Wii for regular use.

FYI, standard commercial grade (i.e. cheap) electronic components are rated to operate normally from 0 C to 70 C (32 F to 158 F). Industrial grade components are rated from -40 C to 85 F (-104 F to 185 F). Then there are further extended and MilSpec ranges as well. These are the temperature ranges where the components are tested and intended for usage, not their absolute limits nor merely limits for surviving storage.

The temperatures used in the test really aren't anything out of the ordinary for electronic devices. Shoddy construction can cause devices to fail at temperatures it should be able to survive (see X-Box 360). But from an engineer's perspective, the test isn't very impressive. High temperatures tend to cause more destructive problems than low temperatures, and the test didn't even approach the upper end of the commercial-grade range.

Around the Network

Yeah heard before, it tooks long to launch it but the PS3 owners can be happy about it that it will not break soon.

Ofcourse the wii is alot more durable and easily strongly designed than the ps3, so it is the most reliable system/sarcasm.

mM
leo-j said:
Ofcourse the wii is alot more durable and easily strongly designed than the ps3, so it is the most reliable system/sarcasm.

I don't know if it is more durable or not but you have a point that easy made consoles can be more durable and reliable.

If there is a thing that I maybe will be scared about the Wii are the controllers I hope they will rest long and that thing you have to put next to the Wii (that thing that finds your mote). 

Damned MS is really unbelievable lookt to this:

A Play and charge kit that someone have opened on the IGN forum.

An Charge kit that cost 20$ has made with batteries of 3$ X_X. 

Every company has to make profits, even if it is just three batteries taped together *Waits for "wii two gamecubes taped together"*

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you