By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why does some people fear/hate the Wii?

This may sound naive, but I wil like to understand the logic of "the end of gaming as we know it" due to the rise of the Nintendo Wii. I am not being sarcastic or anything. I think I understand some people despisal towards this new kind of gamers "the casuals". But I just don´t see how this new gamers and the Wii are going to destroy the industry!

For me, it is totally the opposite, you gotta love the Wii because it may just have saved the industry from a second crash.

I usually compare the video game industry to the film industry. Did George Lucas and Steven Spielberg destroy Hollywood because they made the movies more fun? No, the blockbusters they created made the business grow,  and maybe because of that growth the studios were more open to other genres like science fiction, which by those times (1980's) were considered outdated. The result is that nowadays we have a wide variety of movies for every taste.

So what I think is that since the video game market is expanded, the industry will produce more and better games for every taste: from the ultra violent hardcore to the more puffy and cheesie casuals.  Videogames will no longer be seen as something weird and potentially harmful but acceptable and even healthy. For me, the future of gaming is bright, thanks to Nintendo.

But some gamers disagree...

Would you explain me why?

EDIT: UGH! Why DOES some people...? I think the right way should be: "Why DO some people fear/hate the Wii?". I apologize on this abomination, you see, english is not my native language so I am struggling. And I cannot edit the title of the thread. SORRY.

Around the Network

It's arrogance and ignorance rolled into one.

Some assume that developers taking out time to make games that don't appeal to them means they won't be able to make the games that do appeal to them.

In truth you are partly correct, in that it is not the Wii that is stopping developers being able to make games for them.... HD games are taking much much more time and money to make, and are not making any additional money in revenue than games from 10 years ago (if not significantly less revenue) So developers/publishers are not making money, and if they don't go out of business because of it, then it is still taking much longer to make the games so there are fewer of the games they want. And of course if developers do go out of business then there would be no games.

Wanting better graphics is fine, but it's best to let the technology come to us, rather than pushing for it too early. The former means we can still have graphical increases, and while they might be not so significant as they have been, they will not push costs and effort up so fast.

This is a subject we've all been over a trillion times before. And it's never gonna see an end.
Wii's expanding the market, and all the rabid HD fanboys suddenly realize the 'casual' demographic is infinitely larger than they are. Alas, they fear shovelware-wagglefests will threaten their manly hardcore HD games, and their snobcore way of life. They fail to see the industry's actually growing, and those casual games are being released alongside their burly brownish-gray FPShooters, not instead of. Ah well.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

TWRoO said:

It's arrogance and ignorance rolled into one.

Some assume that developers taking out time to make games that don't appeal to them means they won't be able to make the games that do appeal to them.

In truth you are partly correct, in that it is not the Wii that is stopping developers being able to make games for them.... HD games are taking much much more time and money to make, and are not making any additional money in revenue than games from 10 years ago (if not significantly less revenue) So developers/publishers are not making money, and if they don't go out of business because of it, then it is still taking much longer to make the games so there are fewer of the games they want. And of course if developers do go out of business then there would be no games.

Wanting better graphics is fine, but it's best to let the technology come to us, rather than pushing for it too early. The former means we can still have graphical increases, and while they might be not so significant as they have been, they will not push costs and effort up so fast.

So you are saying the industry may somewhat crash again anyway? And some will blame it on the Wii?

It's unfounded fear that their precious "hardcore" games will go away. The idea is ludicrous.

Mostly though, it's just poor sports who can't stand seeing a Nintendo system that everybody wants to have. They wish their families and friends wanted the same thing they did, and when they don't, they take it very personally.

They're about as annoying as hardcore comic fans. Don't ever even try to disagree with one, or like something they don't understand...

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

Around the Network

Most hardcore gamers are selfish and they think that they are the only people that are allow to play games.

BoneArk said:
Most hardcore gamers are selfish and they think that they are the only people that are allow to play games.

This although harsh, is partially true.

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

I don't care for the wii because my brothers friend brought his over and even with component cables it looked like crap on my HDTV. Not PS1 bad, but pretty terrible nonetheless.

Johann said:
BoneArk said:

This although harsh, is partially true.

That I understand, but how can you blame the Wii on "The end of gaming as we know it". I mean, hardcore games are going to be around anyway...

I think it's called being a fanboy. I really should start another fanboy game...but I won't.