By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Next-Gen Attach Rates...

grandmaster192 said:
I new something was up when I seen that Wii attach rate. You included Wii-sports, which shouldn't be counted when comparing it to other consoles. I'm going to assume that this thread was made to compare the consoles attach rates. If so, I really don't think it's fair to include Wii-sports.

I could be wrong, but I think only in the US is Wii Sports included.  So it would be more unfair to not include it (since EU+JP>US console sales).

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network
Ursus Horribilis said:
@mrstickball: Where did you find such detailed information? (regarding 6+ being the highest in history)

VGCharz data. Got nearly the same:

XBox 3606,11 
 Wii 4,13
 PS3 3,52
 Wii-Play/Sports 2,75

Thats what i got so far.  Will start a thread about weekly attach rate sometimes in the future.  The attach rate just for this year:

XBox 360
 Wii 2,99
 PS3 2,66
 Wii-Play/Sports 1,91

You could say, Wii looks bad. But thats not true. Attach rate is so low, caused by the high hardware numbers. The weekly attach rate is fine.

Sqrl said:I could be wrong, but I think only in the US is Wii Sports included.  So it would be more unfair to not include it (since EU+JP>US console sales).

No, you're right. Wii-Sports is only bundled with the Wii in the US. Thats why I was complaining about the attach rates he posted, not world wide attach rates. He shown that the Wii had a attach higher then 4.0, 4.29 to be exact. It makes it seem as if the Wii's attach rate blows the PS3 away, which is not the case at all.

grandmaster192 said:
Sqrl said:I could be wrong, but I think only in the US is Wii Sports included.  So it would be more unfair to not include it (since EU+JP>US console sales).

No, you're right. Wii-Sports is only bundled with the Wii in the US. Thats why I was complaining about the attach rates he posted, not world wide attach rates. He shown that the Wii had a attach higher then 4.0, 4.29 to be exact. It makes it seem as if the Wii's attach rate blows the PS3 away, which is not the case at all.

The Wii attach rate would also be higher if Wii sports was not included since more people would of bought a game at purchase It may not be as high but you simply can't subtract Wii sports. Wii software is outselling 360 software even when you subtract Wii sports and it is doingit with 2/3 the userbase. Finally the 360 had a lower userbase with a higher attach rate than the Wii at the same point in time. As a userbase grows it is harder and harder to get higher attached rates as more people than just enthusiasts buy the console. Comparing the atach rates of the 360 and PS3 is more direct in every regard but once again you have to wait until after the first holiday to accurately judge an see if it goes up or down with the HW sales boost.

the Gamecube's attach rate is seen as massive at 9, so I'm a bit confused about it all as well kasz216 lol

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

Around the Network
Just_Ben said:
Ursus Horribilis said:
@mrstickball: Where did you find such detailed information? (regarding 6+ being the highest in history)

XBox 3606,11 
 Wii 4,13
 PS3 3,52
 Wii-Play/Sports 2,75

Thats what i got so far.  Will start a thread about weekly attach rate sometimes in the future.  The attach rate just for this year:

XBox 360
 Wii 2,99
 PS3 2,66
 Wii-Play/Sports 1,91

You could say, Wii looks bad. But thats not true. Attach rate is so low, caused by the high hardware numbers. The weekly attach rate is fine.

How do you figure weekly attach rates? Divide units of software sold by units of consoles sold over the course of the week?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

I think Wii Sports is included in Europe too, looking at Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Wii-Console-Sports/dp/B0007UATDG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/026-8519998-0144422?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1187037677&sr=8-1

Nintendo Wii Console (Includes Wii Sports)

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B000JCET4C/ref=amb_link_43362265_1/402-1237395-9856968?pf_rd_m=A1X6FK5RDHNB96&pf_rd_s=right-2&pf_rd_r=0PQHFQV0DD1TTH7938F6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=148887691&pf_rd_i=236759011

Console Nintendo Wii - Sports Pack

Wii sports is bundled outside Japan (don't you people know anything?), but you have to count Wii sports in the numbers, since otherwise people would buy it/some other game to go with Wii.

360 attach rate is so high because it has a year headstart and it had a good start, but HW sales have declined since then. So the 360 owners buy games as they normally do (keeping the SW sales at a normal rate), while less people buy the hardware (good HW sales doesn't drop the SW ratio).
Basically that was just M$:s PR, they turned a bad thing to look good. :)

Btw. those VGChartz numbers aren't the WW attach ratios.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

famousringo said:
Just_Ben said:
Ursus Horribilis said:

XBox 3606,11 
 Wii 4,13
 PS3 3,52
 Wii-Play/Sports 2,75

XBox 360
 Wii 2,99
 PS3 2,66
 Wii-Play/Sports 1,91

How do you figure weekly attach rates? Divide units of software sold by units of consoles sold over the course of the week?

Yes sir...your right you take the total hardware sales and divide by software sales and you get the attach-ratio that everyone is talking about.

Wii Sports has to count, it is a pack-in game but that does not mean that people aren't buying it. The fact that Nintendo forces you to buy it is good marketing and sales on their part, but it's still software. In fact, if wii sports wasn't included the price would be lower, as would the wii play with the remote. If people are buying it, it should be part of the attach rate.

Never argue with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Brawl FC: 0473-7449-8088