By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Next-Gen Attach Rates...

grandmaster192 said:
I new something was up when I seen that Wii attach rate. You included Wii-sports, which shouldn't be counted when comparing it to other consoles. I'm going to assume that this thread was made to compare the consoles attach rates. If so, I really don't think it's fair to include Wii-sports.

Why? If you buy a PS3 or 360 you need to buy a game to play.  With a Wii you don't because of Wii sports.  It makes more sense to count it then to not count it.

Considering how much it sells in Japan it REALLY makes sense.  Just how the PS3 bundled games count towards PS3 attach rates and how whenever a store has a deal where you get free games, or two for one, or a game goes on sale it counts towards attach rates.  Not counting it makes no sense statistical or otherwise.

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
Wii sports is bundled outside Japan (don't you people know anything?), but you have to count Wii sports in the numbers, since otherwise people would buy it/some other game to go with Wii.

360 attach rate is so high because it has a year headstart and it had a good start, but HW sales have declined since then. So the 360 owners buy games as they normally do (keeping the SW sales at a normal rate), while less people buy the hardware (good HW sales doesn't drop the SW ratio).
Basically that was just M$:s PR, they turned a bad thing to look good. :)

Btw. those VGChartz numbers aren't the WW attach ratios.

Yes he is right, here in europe, we even get an actual game case

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Takashii said:
famousringo said:
Just_Ben said:
Ursus Horribilis said:
@mrstickball: Where did you find such detailed information? (regarding 6+ being the highest in history)

VGCharz data. Got nearly the same:

XBox 3606,11 
 Wii 4,13
 PS3 3,52
 Wii-Play/Sports 2,75

Thats what i got so far.  Will start a thread about weekly attach rate sometimes in the future.  The attach rate just for this year:

XBox 360
 Wii 2,99
 PS3 2,66
 Wii-Play/Sports 1,91

You could say, Wii looks bad. But thats not true. Attach rate is so low, caused by the high hardware numbers. The weekly attach rate is fine.

How do you figure weekly attach rates? Divide units of software sold by units of consoles sold over the course of the week?

Yes sir...your right you take the total hardware sales and divide by software sales and you get the attach-ratio that everyone is talking about.

I would divide software sales by hardware, that way you'd get the number as presented in this topic... @Kasz: You can always watch Blu-Ray movies, which you get for buying PS3. :D @nintendo fanboy: Oh that always-so-cool case. Actually it's good that it comes in that case.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

But this site never counted the games that come packed in with PS3 or the 360. Graw was packed in with 360 for a long time, i would say all of the systems sold last christmas had it. It should have sales of over 3mil. The same goes for Forza2 right now, each system sold has it and this site does not count it, most pal PS3's are now selling with motorstorm and RFoM and this site does not count it.

Warlord_ said:
But this site never counted the games that come packed in with PS3 or the 360. Graw was packed in with 360 for a long time, i would say all of the systems sold last christmas had it. It should have sales of over 3mil. The same goes for Forza2 right now, each system sold has it and this site does not count it, most pal PS3's are now selling with motorstorm and RFoM and this site does not count it.

Then I'd say the numbers are flawed and should be adjusted.

Is downloadable content factored into this at all? I'm not saying it ought to be, but I've sunk about fifty dollars into the Virtual Console, that's almost the price of a new game. 

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
Takashii360 said:
So do attach rates matter to developers...Cause the 360 is doing good in Japan considering existing users are buying games...so there is some good out of the 360 right??

No. Devs care about how THEIR games made by them PERSONALLY attach. IE they care about how their own games sell. High attach rate does not mean a game made on that console will do better than it would elsewhere. Look at the Gamecubes massive attach rate, then look at the pitiful 3rd party sales. Didnt even have a 3rd party game pass 500k during its entire lifetime in Japan. Im sure the devs were kept warm at night by the fact that the attach rate on GC was high (not). 

:P 

for this purpose i would say that Wii sports shouldnt be included fully into the US attach rate, but should be cut by about half... if it wasnt inc i bet the US wii sports total would be at about 1/3, but also that some people would buy other games... so half seems about right
some wii owners probably only have wii sports.

as for games bundled with the ps3 not being counted, if that is so then any other bundled Wii games wont be counted either [there are many places that do their own bundles, some stores dont let you buy a Wii with just sports]. i would have thought ioi would have considered that when he gets the numbers.

as for the currently low software ratio for all three, it is of course going to go up in the consoles life, the ps2 attach rate was low in its first year, mostly because everyone was just trying to buy the console and partly due to only being in Japan for the first 7 months [Jp ratio for home consoles usually seems to be lower than US, wheras handheld is higher i think]
Using japan, the highest attach ratio 30 weeks from launch for a console has been the playstation1 at over 4:1, wheras second place was either saturn or dreamcast at about 2.8:1 generally lower hardware numbers make higher ratios [the 'failed' sega and x-box consoles, along with the PS1 and Wii, make up the top spots.