By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How would PS3 supplanting the 360 in sales happen?

If people don't believe my scenario will happen, please list a scenario that will. What I listed was an EXAMPLE of an approach to the question that would effectively lay out how it could happen.

Around the Network

Massive advertising and a $100 price cut would send the ps3 flying pass the 360 imo.

mM

I think most of those mentioned on this list are highly optimistic. You would be better off wishing that Microsoft blows up thus ending the Xbox360 prematurely.

Anyway if you look at the charts you will see that comparing both systems from launch the PS3 is doing better. Unfortunately, the Xbox360 really stepped it up this year. PS3 really has to pick it up next year in order to even continue contending.

A price cut late 09 may help give the PS3 the much needed holiday sales that it has so far failed to get. Also the lineup next year looks really good. I am just worried that the recession and the price tag will not be good for the PS3.

If PS3 doesn't make up ground next year I think it is time to call it quits and hope the PS4 does better.

95% of gamers don't know they are noobs, the 5% who do won't be noobs for long

Check out my kickstarter project: http://kck.st/15CEuUT

Check out my blog: http://www.metropolisgaming.com

richardhutnik said:
If people don't believe my scenario will happen, please list a scenario that will. What I listed was an EXAMPLE of an approach to the question that would effectively lay out how it could happen.

There's no lightning-quick solution, the best that can happen is a slow erosion of the 7+ million gap between the 360 and the PS3 due to a steady stream of exclusives and price cuts (which would have to compete with the 360's stream of exclusives and price cuts).

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

I read your thing and...well I just think that all of your statements are most likely to not only not happend, but to be the exact opposit....

1. KZ2 is more likely to folow an R2 path than a Halo/Gears path.

2. Sony is more likely to lose even more money with the recession and exchange rates.

3. GT5 a sure seller, has less chances of selling similarly to a 120M userbase than to selling much lower.... 5M lifetime is not impossible and would be "bad" for this franchise (bad is relative here)

4. Errr yeah....

5. considering the sales of Uncharted....

6. no that was 2008, 2009 is recession year, people don't buy new TVs....

7. Home already has bad press...

8. didn't get your point, is GoW3 a platformer??????

9. LO did not make the 360 the main HD RPG platform.... it still isn't set even with LO ES UI BD LR ToV (SO4 FFXIII).... so no WKC won't change a thing... FFXIII was the only game for that.... well and DQX....

10. The new halo FPS bombs.... and SMG2 doesn't pass 1M copies!!!

11. well this one I have nothing to say about.

12. Backward compatibility is not for PS2 owners.... it's for non PS2 owners or people like me that switch continents between generations... you get a little upgrade in graphics and that is it... THis is the reason why the full GC comp is so awsome, because many people did not play those games.... Nintendo should have reedited the GC games in their GC version to sell as bargain Wii games. BC in PS3 was actually a bad idea... as when they removed it, new PS3 users now feel cheated by sony

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network

how about ps3 has 2-5 year longer lifespan.

I don't think it will require such far-fetched scenarios. If the PS3 can reach a competitive price point, and if GT5 and FFXIII + Versus perform up to expectations in Europe and Japan respectively, then it might be enough. In the meantime, I think it's up to Microsoft to press its advantage and increase the gap to the point that Sony can't overcome it. If they're too complacent, Sony might come back on them yet.

WiiStation360 said:
Given this, is pretty easy to see Sony's path the outselling the 360. Your point #2 is misleading. Sony does not need to undercut the 360 to sell better. It just needs to be priced competitively. $400 vs $200 is not competitive.

I think the same. I just need a more competitive price... accompanied by great games, which it has, and more advertising.

Play my LittleBigPlanet level: Mystic Runner. Thanks!

Sony just has to hope a $250 ps3 sells better than a ~$120 360. If that happens, ps3 will probably catch 360 in the long run.

it need to rename the console PSTrii

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO