By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How would PS3 supplanting the 360 in sales happen?

In discussions of videogame sales, and comparing consoles, there is this SDF-level charge that the PS3 is going to end up leaving the 360 in the dust.  I am asking now, because I am curious if someone will be able to explain how this can happen.  I am having difficulty seeing how this would happen.  I mean in a case of before Microsoft comes out with another console, and the generation moves, but Sony keeps the PS3 around.  Can someone lay out scenarios where this is possible?  Something like this (but add your own detail):

1. Killzone 2 surpasses the sales of both CoD: World at War (on the 360) and Gears of War 2.  I don't mean combined, but over whichever one will sell more.  Killzone 2 comes close to sales of CoD: World at War on ALL consoles.  This becomes news, and the graphics are so impressive, the media talks it up like crazy, and it is discussed as the Halo killer, replacing Halo as the top console FPS.  This causes the PS3 to become THE choice for people who want to play FPS on a console.

2. Sony figures ou how to cut production costs of the PS3 even futher, and begins to undercut the 360 in price, and not lose money doing this.

3. Gran Turismo releases, and has prelaunch hype not seen since Halo 3, and happens to have that buzz, and sets opening day sales records.

4. More production problems happen with the 360, so that a new version of RROD appears.

5. Uncharted 2 sells multi-millions in sales first day, and generates a lot of buzz.

6. There is a massive push to buy Hi-Def TVs in 2009, and this causes Blu-Ray to become THE talked about new tech item, and the PS3 discussed in EVERY news report and article.

7. Home hits its stride and is discussed as THE Killer app in 3D Avatar based social networks.  It gets a LOT of content that piques the interest of everyone.

8. God of War 3 comes out, and pushes Uncharted 2 in discussion of best platformer on consoles.

9. White Knight Chronicles hits North America and generates records sales for an RPG, supplanting sales of Fable 2, Fallout 3, and the PS3 is discussed as king of RPGs, and the RPG players are driven to buy PS3s, because they feel it is where RPGing is.  In other words, take the Final Fantasy VII effect times 5.

10. Almost all of Microsoft's exclusive offerings sell poorly and get bad reviews: Halo Wars fails to be relevant and doesn't work right.  The GTA4 exclusive expansion proves to be a bad seller and badly reviewed.  Alan Wake flops.  The new Halo FPS bombs.  Mass Effect 2 comes out on the PS3 in 2009, along with the 360 version, and the PS3 is universally agreed to be better and outsells the 360 version by a 2 to 1 margin.  Pretty much the entire 360 exclusive library for 2009 is equivalent to Too Human.

11. MAG comes out and wins awards and sells like gangbusters.  It supplants Call of Duty as THE historical FPS game to play.

12. Other things happen, like Sony runs heavy and killer advertising that generates this generation's Sega Scream.  They also put backwards compatibility in hardware making it an easier choice for PS2 owners to migrate up.  They release a few suprising titles no one expects.  The unforeseen happens and benefits Sony in a BIG way.

Maybe I am reaching here or demanding too much.  I am just trying to come up with a list of what could happen that might turn the tide, a list of game changers.  

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:

In discussions of videogame sales, and comparing consoles, there is this SDF-level charge that the PS3 is going to end up leaving the 360 in the dust.  I am asking now, because I am curious if someone will be able to explain how this can happen.  I am having difficulty seeing how this would happen.  I mean in a case of before Microsoft comes out with another console, and the generation moves, but Sony keeps the PS3 around.  Can someone lay out scenarios where this is possible?  Something like this (but add your own detail):

1. Killzone 2 surpasses the sales of both CoD: World at War (on the 360) and Gears of War 2.  I don't mean combined, but over whichever one will sell more.  Killzone 2 comes close to sales of CoD: World at War on ALL consoles.  This becomes news, and the graphics are so impressive, the media talks it up like crazy, and it is discussed as the Halo killer, replacing Halo as the top console FPS.  This causes the PS3 to become THE choice for people who want to play FPS on a console.

2. Sony figures ou how to cut production costs of the PS3 even futher, and begins to undercut the 360 in price, and not lose money doing this.

3. Gran Turismo releases, and has prelaunch hype not seen since Halo 3, and happens to have that buzz, and sets opening day sales records.

4. More production problems happen with the 360, so that a new version of RROD appears.

5. Uncharted 2 sells multi-millions in sales first day, and generates a lot of buzz.

6. There is a massive push to buy Hi-Def TVs in 2009, and this causes Blu-Ray to become THE talked about new tech item, and the PS3 discussed in EVERY news report and article.

7. Home hits its stride and is discussed as THE Killer app in 3D Avatar based social networks.  It gets a LOT of content that piques the interest of everyone.

8. God of War 3 comes out, and pushes Uncharted 2 in discussion of best platformer on consoles.

9. White Knight Chronicles hits North America and generates records sales for an RPG, supplanting sales of Fable 2, Fallout 3, and the PS3 is discussed as king of RPGs, and the RPG players are driven to buy PS3s, because they feel it is where RPGing is.  In other words, take the Final Fantasy VII effect times 5.

10. Almost all of Microsoft's exclusive offerings sell poorly and get bad reviews: Halo Wars fails to be relevant and doesn't work right.  The GTA4 exclusive expansion proves to be a bad seller and badly reviewed.  Alan Wake flops.  The new Halo FPS bombs.  Mass Effect 2 comes out on the PS3 in 2009, along with the 360 version and is universally agreed to be better and outsells the 360 version by a 2 to 1 margin.  Pretty much the entire 360 exclusve library for 2009 is equivalent to Too Human.

11. MAG comes out and wins awards and sells like gangbusters.  It supplants Call of Duty as THE historical FPS game to play.

12. Other things happen, like Sony runs heavy and killer advertising that generates this generation's Sega Scream.  They also put backwards compatibility in hardware making it an easier choice for PS2 owners to migrate up.  They release a few suprising titles no one expects.  The unforeseen happens and benefits Sony in a BIG way.

13.  Microsoft headquarters explodes in freak blimp accident. 

Maybe I am reaching here or demanding too much.  I am just trying to come up with a list of what could happen that might turn the tide, a list of game changers.  

Wow, although some of these things seem a bit far fetched, there are quite a few that could happen, and if not could happen to a lesser extent

Enjoy

A combination of number 6, and a $100 price cut.

mM

well what can i say PS4life

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Around the Network

13. Microsoft headquarters explodes in freak blimp accident.

I have to admit I would hate to think of this actually happening, but I did lol for quite some time as it was so unexpected.

wow, 360 exclusives get too human-ed/Haze-ed

You only need to look at why the 360 is leading now to find your answer.

PS3 was outselling the 360 pretty much every week between Nov 07 through mid 08. What changed? Three things. 1) Price cuts in Others 2) Price cuts in NA 3) Price cuts in Japan

Given this, is pretty easy to see Sony's path the outselling the 360. Your point #2 is misleading. Sony does not need to undercut the 360 to sell better. It just needs to be priced competitively. $400 vs $200 is not competitive.

wishful thinking at its finest lol...

leo-j said:
A combination of number 6, and a $100 price cut.

Number 6 seems unlikely though as even with a 100 price cut, there will be stand-alone players that are cheaper...

I think many of these are really reaching and honestly don't know that it would take all that much for the PS3 to stay "within reach" of the 360.  Now to pass it by a statistically significant margin in overall sales...seems unlikely only because I'd believe that increased sales of the PS3 would not necessarily mean that the 360 would start selling really bad (and IMO it would take both for the PS3 to fly past the 360).