By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Whoa, has Square Enix finaly figured out what is wrong with all JRPGS?

noname2200 said:
Khuutra said:

Really I blame FFVIII, that's where it was all shot to Hell.

Ogre Battle 64, though! My main character was like 28 or 30 when I finished that bad boy.

Man Khuutra, you go through that game slowly. I'm always stunned when I reach 21 (although I covet that Marshall's Baton. Hmm.)

As for the rest of the topic, the stereotypical teen protagnonist is a symptom of the problem, not the problem itself. The genre's been getting a bit stale, as there hasn't been enough innovation recently (With a few notable exceptions. I applaud games like Final Fantasy XII for trying to shake things up). Getting stale is an especially big risk for JRPGs, considering that only a few of them have ever had massive sales, and that the genre's primary supporter, Japan, is going through a massive demographics change. We'll just have to wait and see how developers respond to this challenge.

I, ahm, I may have purposely caused him to have a few birthdays for prizes.

Still, 18 is a normal age to start off with for a soldier.

Around the Network

I agree with the OP. The teenage love stories are particularly cringe worthy. My enjoyment of Valkyria Chronicles was hampered by the melodrama and lame attempts at humor. Fortunately the gameplay delivers.

This is Wiiforever and since you apparently know your stuff about IP addresses, you should be able to figure out I am not coming from a proxy and that I am using a Static IP. Also, if you take further note, my static IP is different now. That is because I can change it from my router. So have fun blocking each new IP I get. Just now that there are billions of combinations I can use :)))))))))))))))))) So in other words, PLEASE IP BAN ME NOW. I Gurantee I will be able to private message you again today with my third new IP in the last 2 days. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Oo and b4 I forget, happy new year!

This is Wiiforever and since you apparently know your stuff about IP addresses, you should be able to figure out I am not coming from a proxy and that I am using a Static IP. Also, if you take further note, my static IP is different now. That is because I can change it from my router. So have fun blocking each new IP I get. Just now that there are billions of combinations I can use :))))))))))))))))))

So in other words, PLEASE IP BAN ME NOW. I Gurantee I will be able to private message you again today with my third new IP in the last 2 days. 

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Oo and b4 I forget, happy new year!

Ender said:
I agree with the OP. The teenage love stories are particularly cringe worthy. My enjoyment of Valkyria Chronicles was hampered by the melodrama and lame attempts at humor. Fortunately the gameplay delivers.

Why are love stories so cringeworthy?  I thought the love story subplot between Tidus and Yuna in FFX wasn't so bad.

Around the Network
Riachu said:
Ender said:

Why are love stories so cringeworthy?  I thought the love story subplot between Tidus and Yuna in FFX wasn't so bad.

Well, there was the laughing scene, which is both heartwarming and cringe-inducing.

But I thought it was really well done on the whole. Zidane and Garnet's was great, too.

I don't know why this is really an issue. JRPG's where I truly played as children are the Persona series (kicks ass), and Earthbound (also kicks ass)

I think the main issue isn't playing as children, but playing as adults who look too much like children such as in Eternal Sonata (I can't possibly believe any of those protagonists were older than 13, but I thought I remembered reading their bios and they were much older than that). If you are actually meant to be kids then there is no immersion lost from looking like them. But if you're supposed to be 22 but you look like jailbait then you lose the character's identity.

Pristine20 said:
gebx said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Character age and character quality are not necessarily related.

This thread is just full of old people complaining because they want characters to be around their ages now that they've gotten older.

@ bolded - True

But the 16 year old saviour of worlds has been done to death over a dozen times.... Developers need to find someone new to save the world

Its the #1 JRPG cliche that needs to die

This is the reason SMT:Nocturne and DDS series were such great games. There was no do-gooder saving the world only individuals protecting their own interests for the sake of survival which contrasts with (90% of JRPGs out there.

exactly. and to Atlus: P3 and P4 are awesome but I want SMT4 on PS3.

I don't really care how old the characters are.

Problem is, they say their older but they dont act it. I mean luke from TotA? 17 i think. No way hose. he coulda been 7. and he was, as it turned out.