By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Whoa, has Square Enix finaly figured out what is wrong with all JRPGS?

Whoa, has Square Enix finaly figured out what is wrong with all JRPGS?

http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/lasting-remnant?page=0%2C1

Most contemporary Japanese RPGs star teenage lead protagonists. As many of Square Enix’s fans are now into their late 20s and early 30s, would you like to create a game with older, more diverse leads?

YN: The format of the RPG lends itself well to having a teenage protagonist. Usually you’re playing for many hours, taking a character on a journey from a relatively weak state to one of power and maturity, a gameplay journey that mirrors that of a teenager moving into adulthood. That’s certainly one of the reasons it works well having young protagonists. That said, what you say is true not only for fans who are growing up with the RPG, but also for developers who were working on titles such as Final Fantasy V when we were much younger, but who are now more mature people. We sometimes wonder what we’re doing dealing with such young protagonists in our games, characters who don’t necessarily speak to us as adults. There’s no pressure internally on how you have to make a character. But you do find that there’s an expectation of how a protagonist must look for Japanese gamers.

I guess the first step is finaly figuring out that you HAVE a problem.

Eventualy we may no longer  find 16 year old orphans and their 15yr old female healer sidekick saving the world. Hopefuly the cutesy useless animal characters will soon follow into oblivion.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Around the Network

He's still saying that Japanese gamers expect young protagonists, and that tends to be true, though they haven't exactly taken risks in that direction since Vagrant Story.

Laughing My Funny Ass OFF.

You do realize the age rate for most of them has increased to 18 to some what EARLY 20's.

There hasnt been a 15 to 16 year old lead character in a JRPG in a long while.

For great example the lead in White Knight is 18 while the princesess is like 20.

And From Star Ocean 4 Mavrick is 21 while the girl is 18.

So...Its not that bad anymore, atleast now there just young adults. :P

I really don't care how old the protagonist in my games are, as long as they have an interesting story

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

This is part of it. I've been playing JRPGs since I was 12. I'm 26 now. I'm pretty sick of cut-and-pasted teenage emo protagonists already.

Around the Network
Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

You do realize the age rate for most of them has increased to 18 to some what EARLY 20's.

For great example the lead in White Knight is 18 while the princesess is like 20.

They've gotten younger. Celes was the youngest non-child character in FF6 and she was eighteen - everyone else was from 20-30. One was actually over 70.

The further back you go in the genre the older the heroes used to be.

Also how about that Persona series?

@Kuu- dude i mean for the HD consoles lol, not ports or handhelds.

And whats a persona? O.o

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:
@Kuu- dude i mean for the HD consoles lol, not ports or handhelds.

And whats a persona? O.o

....There was gaming before the HD consoles

I'm going to go hide now before the real JRPG fans come in here and kill us all.

Seraphic_Sixaxis said:

Well, since your profile says your 18 I guess you won't get my point. But you will in ten years.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

"We sometimes wonder what we’re doing dealing with such young protagonists in our games, characters who don’t necessarily speak to us as adults."

I'm actually really gratified to see somebody say this. Kudos to you, Mr. Naora!