By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Weekly sales (WKC First week & others)

-Good Wii, DS and PSP sales,
-PS3 is stuck in limbo, not doing bad but definitely not doing good.
-360 is truly screwed in Japan, 13k after all those JRPG and price cuts means MS can try all they want there but it will never work. MS tried very hard to gain some ground but already PS3 has made up x2 (3?)

Around the Network
Madanial said:
Is it because of value judgement that make Xbox360 hardly sell in Japan?(Like because Wii and Sony are made in Japan and they're no interest in playing 360?)

I think brand has something to do with it but not really that much. We've seen that Microsoft can move consoles if it has the right software. They're just not getting a steady stream of it, and having such a tiny installed base means they're stuck in a nasty self-perpetuating cycle that will prevent them from ever getting that kind of software support.

badgenome said:
samus aran rules said:
This is how I see this important week with holiday sales in Japan:

Sony: Positive WKC had a very good first week sales reaching 200k+

Negative PS3 hardwaresales not even reaching 50k in a huge sales week with a new big game is nothing to be proud of. PSP very nice but clearly beaten by WII.

Nintendo: Positive Most everything. Fantastic hardwaresales for DS and very good for WII as well since it saw the biggest increase since last week compared with PS3 and 360 and this without a big new software release.

Software, huge sales all over for both WII/DS. Lots of huge legs all around for games like WII Fit/Sports/Music, Mario Kart Wii, Animal Crossing for both WII and DS, Pokemon, Wagamama, Kirby the list goes on.

Negative: Almost nothing. Hardware sales for WII down from last year but then again most other hardware except DS is down year over year as well.

Microsoft: Postive nothing
Negative, they haven´t been able to keep the momentum going they had this autumn. They haven´t seen hardware boosts during the holidaysales and software is horrible.

Yeah, their software is pitiful. But it's what they get for being so reliant on multiplatform games and the occasional big Japan-centric exclusive.

Huh? How is the X360's software pitiful?

Ps3 vs X360 software should be ~ 3.1:1 (but say 3:1, as that evens out the fact that one is far bigger, and bigger = lower AR)

Wii vs X360 software should be 8.6:1 (but say 8:1)

But what is the case?

This week:

Ps3 vs X360 = 2.5:1

Wii vs X360 =  5.7:1

December so far

Ps3 vs X360 = 2.1:1

Wii vs X360 = 5.7:1

November

Ps3 vs X360 = 2.3:1

Wii vs 360 = 3.1:1

So, no. X360 is selling software far better than the Wii or Ps3.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Yeah Japan is not bias against the 360 or loyal to the Playstation brand, they simply go where the software is. If FFXIII, Yakuza 3, Versus etc were on the 360 in Japan then hardware sales would be better but they are on the PS3 so......

Oyvoyvoyv said:
badgenome said:
samus aran rules said:

Negative PS3 hardwaresales not even reaching 50k in a huge sales week with a new big game is nothing to be proud of. PSP very nice but clearly beaten by WII.

Nintendo: Positive Most everything. Fantastic hardwaresales for DS and very good for WII as well since it saw the biggest increase since last week compared with PS3 and 360 and this without a big new software release.

Software, huge sales all over for both WII/DS. Lots of huge legs all around for games like WII Fit/Sports/Music, Mario Kart Wii, Animal Crossing for both WII and DS, Pokemon, Wagamama, Kirby the list goes on.

Negative: Almost nothing. Hardware sales for WII down from last year but then again most other hardware except DS is down year over year as well.

Negative, they haven´t been able to keep the momentum going they had this autumn. They haven´t seen hardware boosts during the holidaysales and software is horrible.

Yeah, their software is pitiful. But it's what they get for being so reliant on multiplatform games and the occasional big Japan-centric exclusive.

Ps3 vs X360 software should be ~ 3.1:1 (but say 3:1, as that evens out the fact that one is far bigger, and bigger = lower AR)

But what is the case?

This week:

December so far

November

It does punch above its weight, but if you're a publisher, developer, or retailer, are you more concerned with attach ratios or raw numbers?

Would it help if I said I find Japanese software sales to be pitiful as a whole?

Around the Network

Lovely White Knight Numbers. And good HW numbers all around.

4 ≈ One

badgenome said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
badgenome said:
samus aran rules said:

But what is the case?

This week:

December so far

November

It does punch above its weight, but if you're a publisher, developer, or retailer, are you more concerned with attach ratios or raw numbers?

Would it help if I said I find Japanese software sales to be pitiful as a whole?

Not really.

If we account for the fact that Others is slightly undertracked SW wise, this is what we get (AR wise)

DS

Japan - ~ 4.5

Americas - ~ 5

Others ~ 3

PsP 

Japan - ~ 2

Americas - ~ 4

Others - ~ 1?

Wii

Japan - ~ 3.5

Americas - ~ 6.67

Others - ~ 5

Ps3

Japan - ~ 3.2

Americas - 7.6

Others - 4.5

X360

Japan 4.6

Americas  10.2

Others - 4.1

So really this is the case.

Americans buy heaps of games for their machines. Nobody else matches them .

Japanese buy lots of handheld games, but little Wii and Ps3 games. Medium amount of X360 games.

Europeans buy medium much of everything.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Couldn't really believe/guess what Others Peoples doing with their PSP?

I mean attach ratios of ~1? That's really damn low although ISO's do really hurt the sales afterall...

@Oyvoyvoyv: Good work on the numbers. I can't believe some of those attach ratios. Specifically 360 in America (I knew it was high, but damn) and PSP in Others (ouch).

I see your point, somewhat. But 360 software in Japan still makes me a sad panda.

wwmli said:
Couldn't really believe/guess what Others Peoples doing with their PSP?

I mean attach ratios of ~1? That's really damn low although ISO's do really hurt the sales afterall...

probably this:

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger