By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Oh man...Bioshock Trailer and Demo

I got the demo downloaded and played it this morning...

I have only a few words to describe it...

Stunning graphics...

Perfect sound...

Amazing gameplay....

If you own a 360 and don't get this game (even if your not a FPS fan), your not going to be maximizing your 360 experience. Try the demo, it will convince you...

Around the Network
NeoRatt said:
Try the demo, it will convince you...

I did and it didn't. =P

Then again I don't own a 360, I'm playing on a friend's. The gameplay is where I take issue, the action just feels like such a disjointed experience from the parts where you're free to look around. The hacking mini-game also really just yanks you out of the whole thing. Also the artstyle keeps reminding me of Starship Titanic.

Didn't get to finish the demo this morning though, so maybe I'll feel different once I get to the end. Looks like it'd be a
rental for me, it fairly linear in the part of the demo I played, and since it has such a thick narrative, I'd imagine once you're done you're done.

I didn't particulary care for Metroid Prime either though, so maybe these just aren't my kind of games. 

Played it and had a gamegasm. Forget halo 3, killzone 2 and MGS 4. They all suck. Get a 360 or gaming pc and meet this wonderful single-player experience.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I downloaded last night but as of midnight, it wasn't done, so I went to bed. I'll play it tonight. This game looks absolutely stunning. I love my 360. Hopefully you get your 360 back soon, CKMLB... I know how painful it is waiting.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Bah, I had it downloading while I slept night and it stopped at 27% before my 360 turned (and I could have swore I was at 30% when I went to bed). Hopefully it will download fine while I'm work along with the Eternal Sonata demo.

Around the Network
twesterm said:
Bah, I had it downloading while I slept night and it stopped at 27% before my 360 turned (and I could have swore I was at 30% when I went to bed). Hopefully it will download fine while I'm work along with the Eternal Sonata demo.

eheh, I too was playing Eternal Sonata while it was downloading... 1.3 gb and it's taking forever, I have a feeling every live user is trying to download this demo... hopefully it will be done by the time I get home.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

scared the shit out of me. played it in a dark room just then (its 1am here)

ok

but people who played the game, can u put a little "detail"
(what make the game crazy ^^)

Time to Work !

There is just an awesome air of suspense, just as promised. The weapons feel powerful and the plasmids are very effective. Yet i was playing on easy, the lowest of three difficulty levels (only two available in demo) and still got hit a bit, indicating a nice challenging game. As mentioned above the retro style and graphics are spectacular in high-def, the water truly is brilliant. I didn't get to tangle with a big-daddy, but the zombies were intimidating enough. All in all the controls felt simpler than i anticipated, but the battle style felt like it had substantial depth that would be greatly expanded upon in the full game (with more weapons/plasmids available). I loved that the game made strong use of environmental factors even in the demo

libellule said:
ok

but people who played the game, can u put a little "detail"
(what make the game crazy ^^)

I didn't find it crazy or scary but I can provide details none the less. The atmosphere is very haunting. There are immediate signs that Rapture was a Utopia that very recently collapsed into a distopia. Music is very fitting, and very good. Sets the pace and the mood and tries you lure you out of a state of alertness. Voice acting is very good. Not top tier stuff, but definitely a cut above video game voice acting. The actual world is a deliberate 40-50ish era look at a futuristic world that happens to be placed underwater, but with more mechanical aspects of Science Fiction being rounded off to more contemporary post-modern (for the era) aesthetics.

The actual horror and "crazy" is what I find lacking. The first enemy you fight just races through a door and smacks you with a wrench. Oww, smack back and he dies. No big moment, it just kind of happens and it's done. The enemies I faced seemed generally uninspired, simply dirty crazy people to be blunt. None of them I found scary. The security drones are very non threatening in appearance, there sound effects are dull and forgettable. Nothing like the playing as a Alien in AvP. Where security turrets’ constant mechanical ticking was a ominous sign of future grief. These things just tend to wake up
and casually shoot at you. I didn't finish the Demo, so I didn't get to fight a big Daddy. You first see one fighting someone else. It was fairly basic, they come off as just armored soldiers. I'm kinda of a sick sod who watches too many horror movies, but they're nor brutal or sadistic, merely crude and blunt, but obedient. Kind of like simple robots with big toys. Later in the demo you find one already dead. I'm yet to fight one though.

That's my take in the time I got with the demo. It reminds me a lot of Starship Titanic or Myst in a sense of old point and click adventures were something horrible happened and every step of the way you're tormented with cryptic clues and signs of a coming explanation. But the actual combat just feels like a nuisance that interrupts, not because it's flawed, but for me feels like a different experience that doesn't match the other aspect of the game. Individually I'd probably like both better, but together I feel like the enemies just waste time. I assume the developers want you to feel like you're fighting horrors for the truth, but I feel like I'm fighting cheap robots and uninspired wackos and that don't really add much to the overall exploring experience.

Again, I didn’t get a chance to finish, so maybe the big scare is at the end. But the entire time I was curious, but never frightened. Again, maybe I’ve seen too many horror films. =P