By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why is Valkyria Chronicles good?

There are no faceless grunts, everyone are unique and have some information available to them.

When you level up their class, you sometimes uncover new potentials with the characters, which can add new information to your "Personnel" information.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
^ Thanks. Sounds great to me, buying it now. Bye bye, self-discipline!

No thank you Badgenome. We really need to start a buy Valkyria Chronicles campaign. Sega finally made AAA game and no one buys it.

Darc Requiem said:
badgenome said:

No thank you Badgenome. We really need to start a buy Valkyria Chronicles campaign. Sega finally made AAA game and no one buys it.

I guess they should have made an AAA game in a different genre. Not that I'm complaining, as I love SRPGs and they are few and far between.

And it has been nice to see the various gaming sites putting an SRPG up as a GOTY contender.

I would recommend trying the full game. The demo's not a good way to judge. But it could also be that you're just not liking the genre... I know I really have a thing against music game but I play pretty much everything else. While my brother has something against Racers while I myself love them.

4 ≈ One

badgenome said:
Darc Requiem said:
badgenome said:

I guess they should have made an AAA game in a different genre. Not that I'm complaining, as I love SRPGs and they are few and far between.

And it has been nice to see the various gaming sites putting an SRPG up as a GOTY contender.

That's nonsense. How many RPGs are on PS3 right now? Better yet, how many exclusive RPG are on the console? There is no excuse for the lack of sales. I wasn't expecting a million seller but damn, VC sales are serious WTF to me. If VC was selling this on 360, PS3 fanboys would be having a field day. They need to stop bitching about SE and what's on 360. They need to run out and buy VC.

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
badgenome said:

That's nonsense. How many RPGs are on PS3 right now? Better yet, how many exclusive RPG are on the console? There is no excuse for the lack of sales. I wasn't expecting a million seller but damn, VC sales are serious WTF to me. If VC was selling this on 360, PS3 fanboys would be having a field day. They need to stop bitching about SE and what's on 360. They need to run out and buy VC.

It performed great in Japan (similar sales to Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) for the size of the install base however, it has really flopped in America and Europe.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Darc Requiem said:
badgenome said:
Darc Requiem said:
badgenome said:

It's pretty sad but expected. For some reason I don't really grasp, JRPGs (which already don't sell much) vastly outsell SRPGs. Maybe there's a bigger gulf there than I realize, but to me, if you like the one, it seems like you should like the other.

Its true many of my friends who are diehard RPG fanatic do not touch SRPG and no matter how much I try to convince them, refuse to give this game a chance. I am very much sadden by this as this was my personal GOTY.

I am hoping that word of mouth will spread and gain this game a few additional sale. The fact that it is very hard to get on a retail level isn't doing this game any favour. Other than launch week, I have seen exactly ONE copy of this game on shelf in more than 15 gaming stores that I frequent.

its another one of those games that the demo sucks and the full retail game is good, like Uncharted and Resistance. xD

PSN: papasmurf5721 Add Me...

nordlead said:
Darc Requiem said:
badgenome said:

It performed great in Japan (similar sales to Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) for the size of the install base however, it has really flopped in America and Europe.

Oh VC did great in Japan, but the performance in the West worries me. Japanese developers are increasingly taking the West into account when it comes to development decisions. I expected VC to do better, especially with the lack of competition. Similar to how Tales of Symphonia sold well on the Gamecube in the West despite the lack of ad campaign. ToS had basically no competition on the GC and since it was quality title it sold pretty darned well. It sold well for an RPG period and it was hamstrung by the North American userbase of the Gamecube.

I was hoping for the same for VC. I really wish more JRPG publishers would follow the example set by SCEA with FFVII and by MS this gen with Lost Odyssey. A strong ad campaign sells games. VC is an excellent game and its unique take on the SRPG genre could appeal to those that don't normally like the genre. The real time elements, cover system, and unique setting could net some unsuspecting fans in the West. Most probably don't even know about the game. Unfortunately the JRPG fanbase is surprising apathetic about the game in my view.