By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo and the Gaming Press: IS INTOLERANCE EVIDENCE OF FEAR & PANIC

Grampy said:
Esa-Petteri said:
Sweet, nintendo-fans are angry because some other people don't love wii like they do. Stop crying and enjoy your games.

Lets see, you're male. You don't give an age but from your avatar I'm going to guess 16-25, whatever.

Actually, I'm not angr. At my age I find most human folly amusing, sometimes interesting but I'll never get upset over video GAMES. They just aren't that important.

I don't even pay that much attention to vidoe game reviews because they are as a rule shallow and poorly written and seldom of real value.

I just wanted to make an observation that of late, they have gotten so frustrated with the fact that their reviews while seeming to have a vast effect in the HD world often seriously hurting games they didn't even dislike that much, but no noticable effect in the Wii and DS world, that they are showing a petty spitefulness. It only makes them look silly but if they don't mind looking like a horses's patoot they should go right ahead.

Well, if you don't like the way things are, then maybe you should round up all your bingo buddies and start a Senior Gamers website. I'm sure it'll be a hit...

And by the looks of that post, it seems like you're the one getting upset. That last paragraph made no sense whatsoever, btw...

Around the Network
McStormy1 said:
People who find traditional controls dont deserve to play videogames. Learn it or leave it. Why should I be forced to play dumbed down and simplified games while the newbies arent forced to learn the hardcore way?

Thank you for that and congratulations. You are my arrogance poster child.

The prosecution rests your honor.

I always thought that "intolerance = fear" was a drastic oversimplification of things: a snide attempt at insulting people one didn't agree with by dismissing their feelings as mere cowardice.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Rainbird said:
TWRoO said:
Rainbird said:

I don't think it is fair to say that reviewers need to change their reviewing skills because the old machines (and PS360) were too complex in controls and what not.
How many games have come out for the Wii that goes like anything on the other platforms in terms of gameplay and story? Medal of Honor, Metroid Prime, Zelda, Resident Evil 4.
That list of games is not a long one, and I feel that it is not the Wii itself, but the games for it that are making hardcores shun it. I can think of only a couple of games that I want for the Wii versus many times more on either the PS3 or the 360.
Resident Evil 4, MadWorld, Super Mario Galaxy, No More Heroes and Okami.
That there is certainly not enough to justify buying a console for me there, and one of those games aren't even out yet.
On the PS3, I can think of more titles I want than on the Wii, that aren't out yet. God of War III, Uncharted 2, new Ratchet & Clank, Mirror's Edge 2, Assasin's Creed 2, Gran Turismo 5, Heavy Rain and the list goes on. Hell, I just bought four new games that I have been looking forward to.

See that is where the reviewers are failing, they are assuming they are correct and everyone else is not..... I can think of more games I am willing to buy for the Wii than for the PS3 and 360 combined, does that mean you are more "hardcore" than me? maybe it does.... I would have thought my 2500+ hours of Wii only gaming in the past 22 months might have counted for something, but if you are right then I must be wrong.

Of course not! But isn't this entire thread about the "hardcores" that are dissing the Wii?

My point is, it is not the simplified controls of the Wii that are (or was) making it unpopular in the eyes of many a hardcore gamer, but the games it brought with it. The fact that many of the games that these people were familiar with kept releasing on the PS360, left even more focus on all the half-assed carnival games on the Wii.

The Wii became a clown at a grown-ups party, because it wasn't trying to fit into the party, but bring new people to the party.

There is a novel concept. Imagine that, I just thought it was a commercial product in a open market place. I didn't even realize it was YOUR PARTY.

Esa-Petteri said:
Sweet, nintendo-fans are angry because some other people don't love wii like they do. Stop crying and enjoy your games.

Oh the irony...

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

@ grampy comparing medical advances that lessen pain and suffering to a gaming development IS UTTERLY ridiculous and the analogy manages to appear both schoolboyish and pompous at the same time... quite an achievement.

I too have used the controls for decades.. like you I have been in gaming since it started. Saying you HATED the controls of gaming but stayed with gaming seems a tad incongruous to me.

In the end you contradict yourslef often in your two main posts here and are guilty of exactly the same thing you are against... generalisations and pigeonholing.

BTW I'm 41.

I'll withdraw the analogy since it is apparent that you have missed the point of it anyway. If you access to medline, you might look it up, it's a good case study in human nature.

There is no  contradiction in saying that I liked games but not the controls. It just happened that someone came along with something better before I gave up.

If you like them the way they are, enjoy.

WessleWoggle said:

I liked it all except controller being complicated, mind over matter, people just don't believe in themselves. They never really give it their all, focus their mind.

They have a no disapwine.

Do you remeber the ending of Quigley Down Under.  I never said I couldn't use analog contollers, I just never liked them.

What a great article and so very true

What i finda little annoying is why gamers can't except that what they like and think is quality is not necessarily what other people like or think is quality. It is pretty sad and shows that the majority of gamers (who come on forums at least) are every bit as immature and socially inept as society thinks they are.

If there is something i do not like but find out that there is a tonne of other people who like it, i just except the product or service is not for me and thats it, i do not go through a meltdown or get angry and abusive anytime it is mentions or see it, that is stupid.

A lot of the people who make negative comments about Wii software, especially the ones that sell a whole lot more than their own beloved "quality" games need to realize quality is subjective and every one has thier own opinions on what they believe is quality.

I never understand the gamers who want to force their opinion of quality on other people, it is absolutely stupid. People always like to bring up carnival games like it is shovelware, but plenty of people i have met who own the game have loved it and find that it is a quality game in terms of their own needs and actually recommend it as a purchase to thier frinds, they do not find games like Gears or even Zelda remotely interesting, and have every right to be catered for as well. just deal with it.

To the person who said there might be another video game crash due to the level of crap being released on the Wii, i find that argument totally illogical, and would argue with out the Wii this generation there would have been more chance of a Video game crash, the HD consoles have not been performing as well as needed for the VG industry to be thriving,most of that is driven by Wii and DS.

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

McStormy1 said:
People who find traditional controls dont deserve to play videogames. Learn it or leave it. Why should I be forced to play dumbed down and simplified games while the newbies arent forced to learn the hardcore way?

Wow very selfless and mature! good on you

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"