By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo and the Gaming Press: IS INTOLERANCE EVIDENCE OF FEAR & PANIC

Videogirl said:
kowenicki said:
Why is it difficult to understand that somebody just dont like the nintendo way of doing things... isnt this allowed? Some Nintendo fans dont like the HD way... whats the difference?

For example... I picked up Animal Crossing the other day for my daughter, she loves it... I think its a pile of crap.

If you have seen the adverts for Animal Crossing (UK) you will see who Ninty are aimng for this gen. Ad is an early twenties/late teens female curled up on a comfy sofa, sipping a coffee and chatting with her mates over voicechat about the outfit she bought at the 'shop' in animal crossing... of course that alienates traditional gamers. Is that the traditional gamers fault? no.

Strangely, I like the 3rd party stuff on the Wii more than the Ninty stuff...

So true, anecdotal evidence : I've got a colleague 20 year old female who has a DS and only plays the Sims on it. She just bought a Wii and the other day she went shopping for it. As she knows I'm well versed in gaming she asked me if I knew of a game she should purchase, as I don't own a Wii I offered a safe advice and told her to buy either SMG, Mario Kart Wii or Zelda Twilight Princess but when she came back she was so happy to show me the new wonderful game she bought for her Wii (beside the Wiimote charge station and some pink protecting silicone skins) : Game Party. I was like ewww... and asked her the reason for not taking my advice, she told me that this game was probably better than the ones I suggested since it was a pack with many games like darts, and hoop shoot.... -_-°

Eh i can not tell you how many times this has happened with me i like god dam what are you doing, they think they are geting like 20 games for the price of one. I am so glad my mum aint like that though man, she will go to the shop purchase COD or something come back start playing, i am like give me a go she like no i shooting some of them fingy people on the screen lol, classic

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

Around the Network
Videogirl said:

And if it goes the way of the casual (someone who can't distinguish a good game from a shovelware) it will also be remembered as the last generation.

I find these definitions tough in this way. I’m pretty sure that what makes someone a “hard core” gamer is the willingness and availability of time to spend a significant proportion of their time playing. Someone to whom video games are a very big part of their life and their skill at them makes an important contribution to their self image. This leads me to define a “hard core game” as the type of game that primarily appeals to that group. A game that has a significant and steep learning curve, is intense and competitive, has a long immersive storyline and generally is fairly violent in theme.

The other side of the coin is, to me, much harder to define. Maybe we should borrow a page from VGchartz and call them others. This group ranges from those who share hard core taste and standards for production values but lack the time; all the way to those that only want very easy games to learn for social/party gaming. The game reviewers seem to me to only recognize these two stereotypical groups and to score mainly in terms of the games appeal to one group, the hardcore.

Now here is where I see a problem, what about other games. Does the fact a game does not appeal to the “hard core” gamer make it less of a game. Not if it works well in a different group it shouldn’t. Take children; a lot of games are written for them. Probably more should be. At one time most games were written for them. Now if they are even mentioned in a review it’s in a dismissive way like “kids might like this, nothing here for anybody else.” So what’s wrong with that? Why has the “gold standard” for games become a male old enough that he probably ought not to be spending that much time playing games anyway. If you don’t believe me ask their wives and/or boss/professor.

What about a gamer, like me, who knows and appreciates quality but does not have the taste or time for epics like GTA. My gaming comes in short  30 min packages when I take a quick break from RL. I tend to like games like MK Wii because I can play that brief a time and still have a fickin ball. Am I less of a gamer because I don’t have unlimited time to devote towards it? It would be like assuming that only hookers can appreciate sex because they spend a lot more time at it than I do.

What about someone who only likes a few specialized games? So what? If I buy a tennis racket, no one assumes I also want to play football.

There are so many different types of gamers with different needs and tastes that I just think this male 16-30 centric  judging may no longer by very useful and as a consequence scores don’t reflect the ultimate success or failure of a game the way they should.  We constantly hear comparisons of Metacritic scores over 90 as some indicator of top games. Is it?

Let’s take our top selling games this week worldwide. Eliminating the bundled games, the top selling games were MK Wii, Wii Fit, and New SMB. None of them is a member of the exclusive 90+ and yet their sales seem to indicate otherwise. Mario Kart Wii only scored 82 but sold almost a MILLION copies in one week, 37 weeks after launch. Wii Fit (is it even a game?)scored 80, selling 800K over a year after launch. There is something wrong with this picture.

What I think is wrong is trying to judge like one judge fits all and that just is no longer true.

fulcizombie said:
Most hardcore gamers and gaming journalists dont hate the wii , they just ignore it. No amount of sales can make these people care about the wii.

That attitude seems born mostly out of a totally unrealistic and childlike belief that if you ignore something it will go away. Actually a central part of Nintendo strategy was to elicit this type of non-reaction.

As an individual gamer that is certainly your choice. There is at least two current systems I pretty much ignore myself. For a journalist who pretends to be a professional, to blow off over half the market is plain stupid and self defeating.

kowenicki said:
I cant agree entirely with the article...

I personally think the Ninty strategy is a dangerous strategy. Is gaming (the wii way) a fad? will all those 'new' gamers become bored as quickly as they became interested? who knows? but its possible.

Also the press have not universely dissed the Wii, far from it. The anesthesia analogy is ridiculous by the way.

Such is your privledge. I think their strategy is the only one that makes sense and I am very confident that gaming will not go back to the old control system. I used it for decades. I never particularl liked it.. I leaned to hate it. Without it I just wouldn't game at all.

You think the analogy is ridiculous. So did the major surgeons of the time, but history proved it true and will again.

Rainbird said:

I don't think it is fair to say that reviewers need to change their reviewing skills because the old machines (and PS360) were too complex in controls and what not.
How many games have come out for the Wii that goes like anything on the other platforms in terms of gameplay and story? Medal of Honor, Metroid Prime, Zelda, Resident Evil 4.
That list of games is not a long one, and I feel that it is not the Wii itself, but the games for it that are making hardcores shun it. I can think of only a couple of games that I want for the Wii versus many times more on either the PS3 or the 360.
Resident Evil 4, MadWorld, Super Mario Galaxy, No More Heroes and Okami.
That there is certainly not enough to justify buying a console for me there, and one of those games aren't even out yet.
On the PS3, I can think of more titles I want than on the Wii, that aren't out yet. God of War III, Uncharted 2, new Ratchet & Clank, Mirror's Edge 2, Assasin's Creed 2, Gran Turismo 5, Heavy Rain and the list goes on. Hell, I just bought four new games that I have been looking forward to.

I never said you wouldn't or they should. I just think they better realize that not everyone is  an 18 year old Male like you. We already know what you like and that you'll like the reviews. You are not however the whole world.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
What do you guys have against reviewers all of a sudden?
I can't think of any Metacritic scores for Wii games that I really disagree with besides Corruption being way too low (it's a 95+ game, I reckon) and Boom Blox being way too high.

I'm with the Aussie here, the market leader gets loads of crap that drags down overall scores and reviews. My favourite console of all time (the PS2) had a percentage-wise much lower number of good games than its competitors, the X-box and the Gamecube. Most games were shit, actually, and the really good ones were very far between indeed. Of course, I realize this, unlike quite a few Ninty owners this gen who can't seem to wrap their heads around it.

'awaits typical response as to my lack of insight and how I'm wrong'

Sorry to disappoint you. You are MALE and 24. Your response is perfectly reasonable in that the reviewers were written for you and by people like you so I think it only appropriate that you are suitably appreciative. I'm sure that the difference between scoring on Wii Fit and its sales performance only concerns you in terms of what's wrong with those idiots taht keep buying the damn thing, not in whats wrong with reviews that didn't see it coming.

I think it is ok to not like the Nintendo way of doing things but the HD fans just attack it with aggression. Nintendo fans then have to jump all over, you know the amount of cursing and dissing "hardcore" gamers have said about the Wii, how can't Wii fans not respond.

I never said anything mean in a vulgar manner about PS3 or Xbox 360, I might say I don't like one or the other much or one is not doing so well, etc... But never just came out and rant how bad the console is (maybe the company as a whole but not the console itself). I understand people not liking the Wii but people have turned it to hate and calling it the doom of all gaming. People saying this game is a "pile of crap" or shovelware for every single game does not make other people feel it is ok to LIKE the Wii.

So it is ok to not understand and like the Wii but other kinds of gamers should also make it ok for other gamers to like the Wii. Please accept the Wii and understand people like those games you call "shovelware" =[

People who find traditional controls dont deserve to play videogames. Learn it or leave it. Why should I be forced to play dumbed down and simplified games while the newbies arent forced to learn the hardcore way?

Grampy said:
Videogirl said:

And if it goes the way of the casual (someone who can't distinguish a good game from a shovelware) it will also be remembered as the last generation.

Let’s take our top selling games this week worldwide. Eliminating the bundled games, the top selling games were MK Wii, Wii Fit, and New SMB. None of them is a member of the exclusive 90+ and yet their sales seem to indicate otherwise. Mario Kart Wii only scored 82 but sold almost a MILLION copies in one week, 37 weeks after launch. Wii Fit (is it even a game?)scored 80, selling 800K over a year after launch. There is something wrong with this picture.

Actually, NSMB does have a 90+ rating (or very close to it). Things is though, do you think the game would be selling nearly as well as it is now if it had starred Wario instead of Mario?
It doesn't matter if EA's fitness game turns out to be better than Wii Fit in every way. It's got no chance in hell of selling as much.

Quality often has very little effect on sales. Most of it's brand recognition, marketing and hype.

Esa-Petteri said:
Sweet, nintendo-fans are angry because some other people don't love wii like they do. Stop crying and enjoy your games.

Lets see, you're male. You don't give an age but from your avatar I'm going to guess 16-25, whatever.

Actually, I'm not angr. At my age I find most human folly amusing, sometimes interesting but I'll never get upset over video GAMES. They just aren't that important.

I don't even pay that much attention to vidoe game reviews because they are as a rule shallow and poorly written and seldom of real value.

I just wanted to make an observation that of late, they have gotten so frustrated with the fact that their reviews while seeming to have a vast effect in the HD world often seriously hurting games they didn't even dislike that much, but no noticable effect in the Wii and DS world, that they are showing a petty spitefulness. It only makes them look silly but if they don't mind looking like a horses's patoot they should go right ahead.