By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why would Killzone 2 outsell Resistance 2 (or Resistance 1)?

You haven't played the beta I take it?

Around the Network

Someone needs to actually answer his question. I dont have the time or energy, so I will just state some facts.

-It has already been said that KZ2 has surpassed the E3 05 videos in almost every way.

-Sony has pumped insane amounts of money into this title, to create new graphic animations, lighting, textures for many PS3 titles for years to come, so Yes this game looks great.

-KZ2 has always received huge handouts, and many studios have worked collaboratively to create this game, an advantage insomniac never had.

-Resistance 2 was released this holiday season and Killzone was pushed back because Sony knows that if they were released simultaneously, (or KZ2 was first) than Resistance would have sold even worse than how it is selling now.

Killzone 2 has the potential to be a futuristic COD style shooter, so polished and beautiful, that it will be impossible to ignore as the Best all around FPS experience to ever be released. (Maybe not a lot greater than COD, but it is definitely in the same league.)

Those E3 2005 jokes gave Sony the "nerd rage" that they needed to prove everyone wrong.

To Prove you wrong.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

bouzane said:

I did see the trailer they ran at E3 reannouncing it.  It did look good, but didn't look like "all that", and I believe Resistance 2 looks real good, by the way.  Just not sure why a game, which is its first appearance on the PS3, is being hyped over a title that appeared twice on the PS3 by Sony.

I expect Killzone 2 to outsell Resistance 2, because Killzone 2 actually looks good. Resistance 2 was a huge let down to many fans, and a lot of the media. Insomniac tried to much to rush the game though their short development cycle, and they ended up with a very poor single player game, and a multiplayer aspect that while good, can not match up to the hype around COD in the mainstream audiance.

In the case of Killzone 2 it is one of the first FPS games bringing something new to the table this generation, and it has the praise of that have played it to go along with that. Now I am not going to come out here and solidly cliam that the game will surpass R1 or R2 because it is impossible to predict the reactions of the masses. My best guess is that we will see this game launch to a very nice tune, and word of mouth will help this game more so than R2. To me, this game will be a lot easyier to convince people of thanks to, unmatched graphics, the interest in WWII germany and the similarities in art design, and great gameplay that people will want to go back to.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

richardhutnik said:
bouzane said:

I did see the trailer they ran at E3 reannouncing it. It did look good, but didn't look like "all that", and I believe Resistance 2 looks real good, by the way. Just not sure why a game, which is its first appearance on the PS3, is being hyped over a title that appeared twice on the PS3 by Sony.

Actually playing or seeing the beta in action is different than seeing the E3 announcement trailer.

Killzone 2's multiplayer is kind of like a mix between Team Fortress 2's classes on top of the multiplayer mayhem. What really makes the multiplayer unique is that the gameplay modes, or missions, aren't limited to one per round. Instead, you can play through 5 different gameplay modes in one game back to back. It takes longer to complete a round, which keeps you in-game longer.

I would also say that Killzone 2 is also unique in how it plays. This game is trying to go for a more realistic approach from how you move in the environments to how your enemies react to your shots. For example, take a look at how it feels like your character floats through the environment while moving in a game like World at War. To me, it looks like Killzone 2 is trying to have similar intensity in the environments kind of like the Call of Duty games, but it's adding much more reaslitc movement, actual feel to the weapons, realistic reactions from characters getting hit, ect.

Around the Network
colonelstubbs said:
Killzone 2 is being hailed as the saviour because resistance 2 has done nowhere near what some people hoped for. If Killzone 2 fails there will be another shooter to replace it

If KZ2 flops and there is another game coming down the road,  please god, DO NOT LET THEM HYPE IT FOR 4 MORE YEARS!!  I do not know if I can take that again.

This game had better live up to hits hype, if not there will be a lot of backlash around it.  I for one do not care either way, I will rent it first then if its good buy it.  After all I am a fps nut.  If it sucks I will be one of the ones jumping on the train of backlash.  One of my biggest nitpicks with Sony is their hype machine.  I think it actually hurts their system more than helps it when they start hyping a game 3 or 4 years out.  I mean how would it be possible to live up to some hype thats been building for 4 years?  It is nearly impossible no matter if the game is great or not.  They just seem set theirselves up for failure every time.

On a side note, I do not want to see any game fail.  It could lead to a lot of people being laid off and software companies going under.  

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

richardhutnik said:
bouzane said:

I did see the trailer they ran at E3 reannouncing it.  It did look good, but didn't look like "all that", and I believe Resistance 2 looks real good, by the way.  Just not sure why a game, which is its first appearance on the PS3, is being hyped over a title that appeared twice on the PS3 by Sony.

So basically you haven't played the beta and your saying it doesn't look good based on an E3 trailer from 2 years ago?

Anyone whose played the beta says it looks amazing.

I am still looking for a reason to buy a PS3... KZ2 might have been it until I found out it didnt have Coop or any split screen. Epic Failure IMO. It will sell more then R2 because there isnt a COD being released around the same time. It also looks beautiful and people from Beta have said it plays a lot like COD4.. That is not a bad formula.

No coop and split screen really does suck.  I had forgotten about that, coop is one of my favorite features in games now days.  It is much more fun to go kill stuff with your buddies than by yourself.  Left 4 DEAD FTW!!!

"If you've got them by the balls their hearts and minds will follow."

Quote by- The Imortal John Wayne, the original BADASS!

leo-j said:
@flagship

Stop trolling, all those games have sold really well, LBP is selling amazingly well at the moment, with 1.5million copies sold to date, Ratchet and clank over 1.4 million, Uncharted over 2.4 million, Resistance 2 isnt selling bad its sold 1 million copies to date.

The ps3 has an amazing gaming library, I hate it when people attack it because of its sales, even if its selling well.

He has a valid argument and you know it. Killzone will be great but it wont even scratch the Gears or Halo franchise. The PS3 is getting alot of smack-talk because of the fact that Sony and the followers act like nothings wrong and they still haven't found their savior game that really pushes consoles besides MGS4. Sony needs a game that can sell 5 mil or more flawlessly without being bundled. Last but not least Sony will fail you in marketing the game properly.