By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Metroid Channel" thoughts...

Disk space on the Wii is 4.7 GB or 8.5GB duel layer. I watched the videos last night. Pretty nice. It is all going to boil down to the control scheme. I was also playing RE4 last night and noticed how perfect and sensitive the Wii controls were integrated into RE4. On COD3 and to a lesser extent Red Steel, you always feel as if you are on the verge of losing control. In that I mean, the sensitivity has to be turned down, and you have to be completely aware of where your reticule is at all times. Makes for some tedious gameplay at times. In RE4, Capcom did an amazing job. The Wiimote disappears and you are left with nothing but the game and a more immersive experience. If MP3 can duplicate, or even improve on this responsive, and seemless integration of the Wiimote, it will be an amazing title. I am looking for Nintendo to pull out all the stops on this one.

Around the Network
shams said:
Kwaad said:

I like this thread. I hope your right shams. Stuff like that would be amazing! But I have to say this tho.

A High Quality 3D model, with animations, textures, sounds, effects, a few extra menu options, and some other assorted fun things. (a few new characters, and other nice stuff) Could easily reach 100-200 megs. 10-20x bigger than those videos. The video's were streamed off a Nintendo server. You never download the videos.

EDIT: A good example. Look at a MMO when they add a new 'dungeon' They usually range anywhere from 70-400 megs. And I'm not talking one of the 'beautiful' ones either, their more like 300+ for their 'added content'.

Point here is, a new level with Prime3 style graphics. (Say it took you 15 minutes to run through it) Would be I'd say at least 100-200 megs. Or almost a quarter of the entire wii's storage.)

Just pointing out the problem with this. (If they find a way to fix that tho, without me paying for it... That'd be great. :D

If they design for it, its actually quite easy.

A Wii disc can store almost 5 gigs of data - more space than Ninty has ever had access to in the past. So you cram heaps of extra textures, sound (etc) - anything that takes space up on the disc, and make the accessibility through the game.

The portal could be used to manage this extra content. Maybe you can only have one "piece" of content at anytime - with each mapping to a particular star location in the Metroid galaxy. With one being released / month, you play the hell out of each - then grab the next when it comes out. Just an idea.

I think you could design a level that takes no more than 10MB of data - compressed - for the entire level.

Its a bit painful - by then much of what happens on the Wii is. The point is it could work.

Lets not forget that the ENTIRE of GoldenEye on the N64 - fits within what, 16MB (just checked that figure). Take out most/all textures, sounds, player models, weapon models (etc) - and you don't need a lot of space - for a lot of gameplay.

Ok, the average Quake3 level was ~3-10 megs. I just checked that one myself. Quake3 was very easily done on last gen. Quake3 is nothing compared to Quake4-ish. Which is what the Wii should be 'capable' of useing optimized textures/systems.

Quake4 maps are 10megs+. I followed a project. Doom3 engine can do it. Or something to that extent where some of the best modders in the world, worked together to create a wide open city, that was alive. And when I say... Alive, I mean, people walked around, there were day/night cycles, and everything. On 1 map. If I recall correctly that was around 150-200 megs.

The way most games are built, textures are optimized for the 'model' they are on. An example, textures off a wall in RE4, would look like CRAP if they were used in another way, becuase they are perfectly optimized for where their at, and even from the angle you will notice it from. Hell, the textures even have 3D objects casting shadows onto themselves. (not a real 3D object, just a texture of one) If MP1 and MP2 are really a sign of what the 3rd one will be, or if they do what I've seen. A 'dungeon' or even, a 'new world' could very easily reach 500megs.

A Wii disc can store almost 5 gigs of data - more space than Ninty has ever had access to in the past. So you cram heaps of extra textures, sound (etc) - anything that takes space up on the disc, and make the accessibility through the game.
Ummm... so what your saying is, to release the game with content on the disc, and then require them to have the internet to 'activate' what they already have? That sucks. If nintendo starts doing stuff like that, I will simply stop buying their games totally.

A Quake4 map, is about 10 megs. That's the map. No textures included. If you for whatever reason need to 'add' textures. God forbid High Quality textures. That can shoot up so high, and so fast, it would make even a 20gb 360 scream mommy.

I am just pointing out, downloadable content really isnt 'feisable' on the Wii. Now, if they come out with a 'texture streaming' system like SecondLife, or something more similar to that, then in-fact, that could become ALOT of potential for 'downloadable' content. (at a ultra high bandwidth cost)

It's not downloadable content when you get it on the disc, and you have to download a 'file' to turn it on, just becuase they want to say they have downloadable content. Yes, it's content you can access exclusivly if you have internet. But it's NOT downloadable content. 

And also, you mention 'Digital TV channels'. The Wii already supports this in a Way. The 'Metroid' channel is infact a streaming video channel. Change about 3 fields, it could stream a live broadcast from any server.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

steven787 said:
@Shams: The VC and even the individual preview channels is supposed to make it easy for "everyone". By "everyone" they don't mean tech savvy or even tech literate, they mean the person who bought their Wii at Wal-Mart, and hooks it up next to his 360 (which he doesn't know has HD) never mind knowing to look for the game trailers...

Which is why I reccomend them making them automatically installed with WiiConnect24 or when you buy a new game have an ad for another. That is what I was really suggesting... Making it automatic, so that the ads will reach more consumers (who don't know the differnce between a 360 and Wii other than Waggle and Miis)

People who buy over 100 VC games most likely would be able to figure out how to move them into a subchannel on the other hand thinking that they are probably tech savvy (read:Nerd, like me). I think Nintendo could, but won't, do things like subchannels, a preview channel, a hard-drive, or direct from SD play (more likely than HDD) for the more tech savvy consumer.

However, it is more important for them, as a business, to make sure more people find are giving them their money. A small group of tech savvy or ultra-hardcore gamers are very costly to please all the time. It doesn't matter if we get it; we are going to keep handing them our money anyway, because the games are good (read: better).

I dont care if it's easy or not. Just make it possible. :)

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

@Kwaad&Shams

Well the two of you have to remember that while Nintendo doesn't have any plans to intergrate a new hdd into the Wii, it's quite possible thatthey will want to go through with external hard drives or those sd cards. And that may be just it. Sure that good maps for MP3 may take somewhat over 300-400 mb of space, but with an 2GB SD card that can be bought for cheap, storage space won't be that much of a problem.

And to those whiners that always fuss over these kind of things, if you're too lazy to keep track of those SD cards, then you're probably too lazy to play sports, and maybe that's why you're fat and ugly........Did i overdo it?

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

Yes, according to Nintendo Wii supports dual-layer DVD:s. Which is 8,4 GB (like 360).

@Kwaad. Shams propably means that its possible to create levels without containing any graphics or sounds in the update, if the game is designed the way, that you can use it like you would create your own levels. You just have the objects, sounds, AI code, etc. in yous game disc and a downloadable update just contains the code how to use and where to put objects and their textures. This also means that update won't contain anything completely new, only anything that you can create using the objects in the game disc.

@Topic. I did find one thing to be very annoying in the Metroid channel... It's not available in PAL Wiis. But i believe that this type of channels will be used in future games a lot.
The channel is like an interface between Wii and its online features. For example this Metroid channel, if you don't have the game inserted, Wii doesn't know that you have the game, since nothing is installed on the Wii. So, through channel, you can get updates etc. through internet, while Wii sports is inserted in your Wii.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
Kwaad said:

It's not downloadable content when you get it on the disc, and you have to download a 'file' to turn it on, just becuase they want to say they have downloadable content. Yes, it's content you can access exclusivly if you have internet. But it's NOT downloadable content.

The point isn't to add extra unused textures to the game.  The point is that the game comes with a ton of textures already and you can use a great deal of them in making a new level or section of a level. This doesn't prevent you from providing new textures but it vastly saves on space and makes this idea feasible if it is done properly. 

With that said, I don't really see much of a point to MP3 downloadable game content, but the scoreboards and times could get pretty crazy with people going back and forth beating the best time.

Now if they were to do a downloadable demo?  That would be very worth it, and I would love to see what they did to accomplish it. 

To Each Man, Responsibility

I really like what they did with the Metroid Prime 3 Preview channel as-is. It's a separate little applet that has a Metroid-esque look and feel -- having the videos on a generic Wii Preview page wouldn't be nearly as buzzworthy. Even though it's just a simple title screen, menu, and a revealable image, it still takes the viewer from the Wii look-and-feel into the Metroid universe briefly.

And I really like the trailer -- first time in a long while the Nintendo logo has appeared in a very cool context.

It's just an ad but it's nice to see something new (better than those VHS tapes Nintendo used to mail out in the N64 days...)

who says that a games preview(demo) channel has to have us DOWNLOAD the demo?

all it needs to have us do is download the client to RUN the game, and a network connection to connect to a dedicated server to play on said server.

connect to demo, game "downloads" the textures needed to run and stores in temp storage, runs demo on server, end demo, delete textures to free up space.

the client to do that would run a meg maybe 3 meg. not large at all but still taking up space.

Original poster, I'm not sure if you're completely retarded. Of course it's a way to promote the game..... Common.... just use a little bit of common sense.

Nintendo had something in the works for HDD suppost and a demo channel is highly rumoured. At least I hope some little thing of all these rumours come to fruitition!

"She can feel it changing her. It's becoming a part of her, corrupting her. But what frightens her most... she likes it!" - Effects of Phazon corruption.

Metroid Prime 3 Hype Level: Corrupted

Reviews:

1UP - 9.0 

IGN - 9.5

It is a hardcore game through and through. You will get your ass kicked by bosses. You will be stumped by the sometimes complex, but never overbearing, exploration.
"You'll never want to play any shooter with dual analog sticks ever again - it's THAT good.". - Gametrailers