By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New "superior" disc format to compete with Blu-ray coming Q1 09

http://www.dreamstream.info/

We are proud to announce that we have signed on to encrypt Royal Digital Media’s new, high definition, optical media format. Together, we will redefine quality as we usher the world into a new age of digital media.

We will employ our revolutionary EES encryption to secure RDM’s content from piracy. Our 2,048-bit algorithm greatly surpasses all other digital security technologies currently being used in the market. Through the use of our military-strength encryption, RDM will remain immune to many of the security pitfalls that plague the entertainment industry.

RDM’s optical format, which shares the name “RDM,” is unparalleled in today’s market. Its closest competitor, Sony’s Blu-ray, looks feeble when contrasted against RDM’s abilities.  Blu-ray offers picture qualities up to 1080p. RDM redefines HD by offering 1920p screen quality. While Blu-ray’s discs are limited by their maximum capacity of 50 GB, RDM is able to hold up to 100 GB of data on a single disc.

The future of digital media is fast approaching. RDM will begin to offer their format in Q1 of 2009 throughout Europe and Asia. Truly secure digital media will soon be a reality.

mM
Around the Network

2 years too late sadly, 400GB blu-ray discs are already being tested. Maybe MS will adopt this but overall meh, is anything is going to overtake DVD it is blu-ray which is gathering steam all the time.

Yea.. BD isnt limited to 50gb

mM

Hmm. I don't think this new format will beat blu-ray.

Wonder what'll become of it...

If people are reluctant to upgrade to BR...why would they upgrade to this? Also, 1920p? 80" TV included?

Around the Network

wow...they will get pwned right away (from the BR)

There's no way this could challenge blu ray.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Lol.
Just lol.

So they made this format to please the five people in the world who own TVs that go over 1080p, and at the same time, care about it.

leo-j said:

http://www.dreamstream.info/

Anobody found a link of what they are trying to sell (apart from an encryption scheme)? Out of curiosity, I went through the linked website and apart from saying "we are better than Blu-ray" there is nothing concrete about what they are doing. The (probably all self-written) comments are downright funny, though. I couldn't find a single line of substance...

I hope they didn't spend too much on R&D.