By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New "superior" disc format to compete with Blu-ray coming Q1 09

People won't accept another format. This was already posted and I'll reply the same way I did before:

If it is true that this format can handle higher resolutions and more capacity, HD Televisions don't. This means that even if they do release this format, Televisions won't be able to notice a difference. People won't adapt or accept a new format when it would offer the same thing they are already recieveing. Maybe in 10 years, but by then I'm pretty sure Blu-Ray will be handling more capacity and higher resolutions.

Around the Network

I would rather rent a Digitally Distributed movie for a few dollars than get ripped off buying the physical media.

But I am the first to admit this is all dependant on your viewing preferences.

HD movies are really just for the videophiles at the mo. I am quite happy watching a Low/Standard Res movie and I hardly ever watch anything twice.

I guess its what makes more sense to you. For me Cash is King.

If Blu Ray players drop sub 50 Bucks and the movies are available at a price point similar to DVD I may switch. Otherwise I'll sit the "format wars" out.